Found scuba diving in Long Island sound

Plazz58

Jul 23, 2020
Yonkers NY
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi just joined here and this is my third post I was diving about 20 years ago in Long Island sound NY off on New Rochelle when I found a Crown perfume bottle with liquid still inside. I had no luck finding any info about the bottle then,and was hoping someone on here might know anything about my find. I saw someone post about a bottle they found so I thought i would give it a try. I have many bottles that I have collected diving over the years.

Attachments

• crown 2.jpg
    crown 2.jpg
    794.9 KB · Views: 57
  • crown 1.jpg
    crown 1.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 63

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
[h=1]The Crown Perfumery Company[/h]
Click on image to enlarge
This Crown Perfumery Company bottle lacks a fancy "crown" stopper and is not labeled. Possibly it was used for smelling salts. Possibly this stopper is not original.
The Crown Perfumery was launched in 1872 in London by William S. (Sparks) Thompson, an American industrialist from Connecticut.
Starting in life as a dry goods clerk, Thnompson went on to found at least half a dozen successful enterprises. He was the first to manufacture crinolines in the United States and the first to manufacture corsets by machine. "Thompson's Glove-Fitting Corset" was a huge success on both sides of the Atlantic. Queen Victoria of England was a customer.
Two versions of the founding of the Crown Perfumery have been given. In the first (see "Doctor Basenotes") women were fainting from exertions involved in corset fitting and William Thompson Jr., a chemist, developed a lavender based smelling salt to provide for their revival. The smelling salt developed into the Crown Perfumery.
Click on image to enlarge
Early ad for Crown perfumes introducing
Gem of the Antilles: Flaming Hibiscus — late 19th century.
American Druggist And Pharmaceutical Record (1902) provides a somewhat less colorful account of Crown's founding. For a while Thompson made his home in Paris where he was manufacturing corsets on a large scale. In 1868 he branched out by purchasing a patent on a railway spring and established the Crown Iron Works at Glasgow. About 1872 Thompson discerned that the lack of popularity of English perfumes was the result of the lack of taste in their packaging. He organized the Crown Perfumery in London where he was now living and once again enjoyed remarkable success, particularly with his Lavender Salts and his Crab Apple Blossom perfumes.
In 1885 Thompson established the American Branch of the Crown Perfumery Company spending $100,000 on advertising "with the most gratifying results."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread