Is there a site that ID's or dates canning jar inserts? Found a green one

TMosh

Aug 14, 2017
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many of the milk glass inserts but this is my first green one. I know there are probably thousands of these, but half the fun for me is researching and finding the dates of my finds.
Any info is appreciated. Thank you

20201105_082549.jpg 20201105_082558.jpg

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell if that is a lightning or not but if I am not mistaken the first lightning closures were in 1882. I think those had patent info embossed on them. Not familiar with yours.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard to tell from the pic. Is that an insert or the whole lid? Sometimes the embossing is very light and hard to see, and sometimes only the patent date. I have boxes full of lids and inserts. I'll try to compare yours with some of mine

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
The only green glass inserts I have are clearly marked Mason. I do not know if they came before or after the white glass ones. It is possible that Lighting never used a insert and started with a cap and rubber seal. I read that Lightning jars came before Ball and Ball adopted the "Lightning wire" and moved away from the zinc Mason seal. Feel free to shoot me down on this info as it is all hearsay.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread