Very small bottle. Was wondering if it is old or modern.

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this a while ago in an old dump that I like to hunt. I have not found to many old bottles from it but was wondering if this one is old. It is the smallest bottle I have ever seen and the glass is prearranged thin. No idea how it is still intact. One of the seam lines is very worn but the other one I can see. It goes up from the bottom to the base of the neck, not all the way up the neck. If anyone can tell me what this was used for or if it is old that would be greatly appreciated. There are no markings of any kind on it. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes sense for the date of the dump. Thought it might be medicinal related. Thanks for the info!

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice vial! Though I wouldn't agree that it dates to the early 20th c. I have found very similar vials in contexts from the 1940s and 50s, and have also found earlier vials that are 'obviously older' (far much more glass, whittle, bubbles, crudity, etc). I believe that these vials are either machine-made or semi machine-made. Some of them will have vanishing seams and were possibly hand-tooled (or even machine-tooled?), because a true full machine process wasn't yet perfected on such a small scale. For this reason, most of the latest blown bottles are very tiny (the earliest machine-made bottles weren't small, they were wide-mouthed fruit jars, milk bottles, etc).

NJ

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure but I guess they were generic and sold by the glass makers by the millions wholesale to "druggists", doctors, dentists, or any shop that could use them to sell stuff. Probably for dispensing any pills, herbs, or powdery or otherwise granular merchandise, poison perhaps. Maybe also liquids but not sure. Many of the ones I dig have crystalline remnants in them. Be careful of this stuff as it could be arsenic, cyanide, heroin, cocaine. If in doubt, throw it out.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure but I guess they were generic and sold by the glass makers by the millions wholesale to "druggists", doctors, dentists, or any shop that could use them to sell stuff. Probably for dispensing any pills, herbs, or powdery or otherwise granular merchandise, poison perhaps. Maybe also liquids but not sure. Many of the ones I dig have crystalline remnants in them. Be careful of this stuff as it could be arsenic, cyanide, heroin, cocaine. If in doubt, throw it out.

Yep, I've seen some scary looking powders in these too. There needs to be a public service announcement about not smelling/ingesting the contents of old bottles. One time, back when I was very inexperienced, I was about to smell the contents of a half-full 'whiskey' bottle but set it aside and kept digging. Got home and Googled around and found out that it was a concentrated nicotine pesticide, could have killed me, never smelled the contents of any bottle after that. Not worth it!

OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the replys and the warnings. Always good to be carful!

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
years ago I hit a dump that had tons of them, people have told me they are opium bottles or insulin, they are cool little bottles, I have some that are different heights, the ones I have are all clear, good find

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is a pic of some of the ones I have DSCF0008.JPG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20200703_182413.jpg
Might be one very similar on the right hand side.
Just above the perfumer.
I'll have a look at it when I get back to the shop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread