Some good finds and a drinking glass

tom smith

Sep 12, 2020
Louisville KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out digging for about 2 hours today and was able to find a lot of good things. My favorite bottle I have found yet is this Colgate co perfume bottle from the turn of the century. The other complete bottle I do not think is that old but it still has the original screw top on and is still has some liquid in it. I believe on the bottom it has some kind of date code it says 12 some weird mark 5 and then a 5 below the mark. I have no idea what the MUM M'F'G. co lid goes to. And my favorite find so far would have to be the cup. It is six sided with a star like mark on the bottom. In the center it is very faint there is a H with a kite looking shape around it. I included the photo of the broken one to show what it looks like. Any idea on the age of the cup? Any help would be apricated.

IMG_0746.jpg IMG_0747.jpg IMG_0749.jpg IMG_0750.jpg IMG_0748.jpg IMG_0751.jpg IMG_0752.jpg IMG_0753.jpg IMG_0754.jpg

Tom smith

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got a few MUM white glass jars--- like maybe deodorant or a cosmetic, mid 1900's likely

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds. This may help.

Mum was the first commercial deodorant brand, developed in 1888 as a cream to be applied by rubbing it into your armpits with your fingers. It was sold in milk glass jars until the 1940s when they developed a roll-on applicator container. Difficult to date the jar without any helpful marks but probably first half of the 1900s.

Mum.jpg

I don’t know what the small square bottle held, but the ‘weird mark’ is the trademark of the Owens-Illinois Glass Company in a style not seen after 1954. To the left should be the plant number and 12 is for the Gas City plant in Indiana, which commenced production in 1930. To the right the single digit is the last number of the production year, so 5 is for 1935 or 1945 but they can be distinguished by the presence or absence of a period after the number. Without the period, 5 is for 1935 rather than 1945. The number below is for internal control purposes with the meaning lost in the mists of history.

The tumbler is by the A.A. Heisey Company, established in 1895 in Newark, Ohio. They made high quality pressed or blown glass ware and the mould quality of pressed items is often crisp enough that it might be mistaken for cut glass at first glance. Heisey were in operation until 1957 and there are hundreds of patterns, but this looks like depression-era. You might find the pattern at the link below if you are prepared to wade through 20-odd pages of possibilities and that may then give you something to go on for establishing a date.

https://www.replacements.com/mfghist/heisey.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread