Recent Insulator Hunt.

Jan 15, 2021
Western NY USA
Primary Interest:
Other
Went Out hunting recently, here is the pile of shards. Found a whole CD 102 STAR CD 102 BROOKFIELD, and a CD 121 AM.TEL.&TEL.CO.
20201017_155344.jpg

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, I have a collection of insulators but know nothing about. Old UPRR spur and than from original telephone lines.
Will you please show me what to look for? More or less common. Green, clear, ones that looks like crocks, glazed brown.
Clip rings or attachment stuff?
Screw on the wedge to attach to pole kind I see now are coat or winter clothes hanger uppers.

OP
OP
Planeguy's Exploration
Jan 15, 2021
Western NY USA
Primary Interest:
Other
I would need to see what they looked like to tell the rarity of them. Most of the attachment stuff is worthless Guy wires, dead end, and spool insulators are not worth much. The side pins you mentioned are worth some money, the ones that would go in a hole in the cross arm not so much. On a RR spur you might find CD 154s, 145s, 152, and other double petticoat stuff. If you ever plan on hunting looking for the old stumps of telegraph poles are a good start, then look around the stump. Glass is almost always more valuable than porcelain.

This site will help you ID your insulators:https://www.nia.org/general/g_natpt.htm

OP
OP
Planeguy's Exploration
Jan 15, 2021
Western NY USA
Primary Interest:
Other
I would need to see the insulators to ID them. Most attachment stuff is not worth much, those side pins you mentioned can be worth some money. Color and weird shape are what makes an insulator valuable.
www.nia.org is a good site to ID insulators.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn something new every day:)

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! I have a few insulators but most were found by accident... one of them was in some disturbed ground and was right on top of a can that I had detected. I always thought they were neat!

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!, I haven't dug an insulator in 10 years, very good dig, I gave all mine away to people, I never wanted to collect them, it's like mason jars, you need the right ones

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread