Bottle manufacturer identification

Capt Mack

Feb 2, 2021
Milford, CT.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am hoping someone can identify the manufacturer of either one or both of two well known schnapps bottles from the 1850/1860 era. One being the J T DALY CLUB HOUSE, and the other the RELYEA, CARTER & CO’s, ROYAL, SCHIEDAM SCHNAPPS.. I have been diving the remnants of a shipwreck in Long Island Sound, on the Connecticut side for several decades. Over the years I have recovered over 50 of the two mentioned bottles in intact condition along with thousand of broken fragments. Notably, there were thousands of snuff bottles from the same era. Most were broken, but over a few hundred were intact. The snuff bottles were identified as being manufactured by one of Joseph Foster’s glass works in New Hampshire. Reportedly Foster’s snuff bottles were produced with three different bottoms; all three were recovered from this shipwreck.
The ship carrying these bottles struck the east side of Great Reef, 1/4 mile south of Sheffield Island, Norwalk, Connecticut.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
C

Capt Mack

Feb 2, 2021
Milford, CT.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Don. I am interested in determining the manufacturer of the bottles themselves, not the contents. Thank you for your interest.
Capt Mack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread