Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This Bible is from Biloxi Mississippi and I’ve been looking on the Internet and I don’t see one quite like it any help will do I much appreciate it IMG_1798.jpg
IMG_1799.jpg
IMG_1801.jpg

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably 1946.....Owens Illinois Glass is from 1929 onward and the 6 is a date code #

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the bottle was made by Owens-Illinois but it's from 1936, not 1946. The date code is to the right of their trademark (in use from 1929) as a single digit '6', which can signify either 1936 or 1946. They distinguished between the two decades by adding a full-stop (period) after the number in the second decade, before switching to double-digit date codes from 1947 onwards.

The number to the left of the trademark is the plant number and '9' is for their plant in Streator, Illinois which opened in 1930.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is a bit different is that all other examples seem to have cursive script instead of the single letters

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth. Congratulations your definitely doing good this season ..hope the storms I see on the news are far away from you
take care out there

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what is a bit different is that all other examples seem to have cursive script instead of the single letters

So villagenut I can’t find the exact bottle of the one I have with the letters could this be rare. This hits home to me because my stepfather’s family Oh and Barq’s root beer of New Orleans. He sold out his share and made his own root beer that was called PUSH It didn’t go very far and I know that can is rare i’ll pay good money for whoever could find it. IMG_3315.jpg

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, the bottle was made by Owens-Illinois but it's from 1936, not 1946. The date code is to the right of their trademark (in use from 1929) as a single digit '6', which can signify either 1936 or 1946. They distinguished between the two decades by adding a full-stop (period) after the number in the second decade, before switching to double-digit date codes from 1947 onwards.

The number to the left of the trademark is the plant number and '9' is for their plant in Streator, Illinois which opened in 1930.

So Red-Coat So you’re saying you’re sure it’s 1936? I do appreciate your knowledge

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Red-Coat So you’re saying you’re sure it’s 1936? I do appreciate your knowledge

Yes... pretty sure. Having decided to use the last number of the year as the date code in the 1930s, they soon realised that they would need to make a distinction in the 1940s... hence the addition of the full stop until 1947 when they decided using the last two digits would be a better solution. You'll find web comments from various collectors which say that Owens-Illinois plants didn't always follow 'head office' instructions for date coding but in my experience those anomalies are very much the exception rather than the rule and mostly relate to changeover periods in the years when they were moving from one system to another

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread