Trying to ID a fragment.

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was hoping somebody could help me ID this small fragment of glass.

20210427_103539.jpg

Maybe part of a jar or bottle? Particularly interested in it's age.

Thank you.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's old, 1850 or earlier. Next to impossible to ID. My first thought was a flask, but that incurved side makes me wonder if it was a medicine. A good piece to get the blood flowing, for sure.

OP
OP
O

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the star a pontil mark, do you think? 1850s sounds about right.

Most interesting thing about it.

20210427_103607.jpg

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The star is only embossing on the bottom of the bottle. Not sure of its significance, be it decoration, moldmaker mark or glasshouse identification. The pontil mark was left by the use of another blowpipe dipped in glass and affixed to the bottom to hold the bottle during blowpipe removal and lip finishing. The star and the pontil mark are separate and unrelated. 1850s or earlier is about right on the period of manufacture.

OP
OP
O

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The star is only embossing on the bottom of the bottle. Not sure of its significance, be it decoration, moldmaker mark or glasshouse identification. The pontil mark was left by the use of another blowpipe dipped in glass and affixed to the bottom to hold the bottle during blowpipe removal and lip finishing. The star and the pontil mark are separate and unrelated. 1850s or earlier is about right on the period of manufacture.

Thanks so much for taking the time to give your opinion. I reckon you know your bottles well, as it turn out that this little piece is pretty much as you describe. Two expert's agree with you, though they get a little more specific.
They say it is the base of a aqua glass spice jar made between 1863 and 1865 at the Pacific Glassworks in San Francisco. These bottles were 8-sided and you can sort of see that shape in the piece. The artifact was found in a vineyard in Napa County, CA.
Not sure if you noticed that this small glass fragment has been recycled by native americans into a scraper tool with a small spur. Makes this find double interesting.
Just wanted to close the loop on this thread.

Here's an example of the bottle.

spice.jpg

OP
OP
O

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210503_102246 (1).jpg

Check out the scraper edge featuring a small spur

Top Member Reactions