Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Get some real hogs, they'll make short work of it. :laughing7:

LOL! I don't think my neighbors, MR & MRS BuckIdgr would like that. Do you see that glimmer of red in the pic? That is how close they are.

attachment.php

My digging spot is very well guarded. :tongue3:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd approach the big dig from the outside in.
Then you're not reworking, or moving all the contents from the cellar hole.
You could get fancy and get that handy/dandy Mr WD to make you up a triple screener with just using ground cloth mesh.
Kind on a tripod set up, or 4 legs, as he's going to move it to the site for you. (hint hint)
1"-1/2"-1/4" mesh will work for most important recoveries.
You have nothing but time on your hands now...:laughing7:

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd approach the big dig from the outside in.
Then you're not reworking, or moving all the contents from the cellar hole.
You could get fancy and get that handy/dandy Mr WD to make you up a triple screener with just using ground cloth mesh.
Kind on a tripod set up, or 4 legs, as he's going to move it to the site for you. (hint hint)
1"-1/2"-1/4" mesh will work for most important recoveries.
You have nothing but time on your hands now...:laughing7:

The Mr has been wanting to take the tractor with bucket and scoop up the bricks and loose stone. I am afraid that will damage what lies beneath. What do you think? He also suggested me digging all the dirt out and putting it in my little trailer and hauling it to another area to metal detect later. I DK what we?re going to do with the broken bricks. I will confess I was thinking of a screen on top of the trailer to catch stuff.

What is something everyone has, but don?t?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang WD....I missed this one...nice bottle...how far does the seam go ?? The groundhog knows there are bottles down there....good luck on your digging.....there's got to be more !!

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang WD....I missed this one...nice bottle...how far does the seam go ?? The groundhog knows there are bottles down there....good luck on your digging.....there's got to be more !!

Argh! Ye be pouring me a bit o rum now! Lol! I understand. I miss a lot myself plus I rarely stray far from de ship.
The seam does not go all the way up. Looks like the neck is applied. Did I get that right? Here he is cleaned up a bit.

IMG_1214.jpg

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The seam does not go all the way up. Looks like the neck is applied. Did I get that right? Here he is cleaned up a bit. View attachment 1947541

Not applied but "tooled". After being blown in the mould, the bottle was cracked loose from the blowpipe (at the top of the bottle), and then the jagged edge was tooled into this shape while still molten, with a shaped pair of tongs. That ring around the neck near the shoulders of the bottle is from the mould itself and not from tooling. Where the seam stops/fades is where the tooling has taken place.

I'd say this bottle was made sometime between 1900 and 1910 :headbang:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for sifting the small stuff..... IMG_1030.JPG -- portable trommel---- not "BIG RED" or "Monster Red"--- but Tony Beets would approve:laughing9::laughing9:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not applied but "tooled". After being blown in the mould, the bottle was cracked loose from the blowpipe (at the top of the bottle), and then the jagged edge was tooled into this shape while still molten, with a shaped pair of tongs. That ring around the neck near the shoulders of the bottle is from the mould itself and not from tooling. Where the seam stops/fades is where the tooling has taken place.

Agree 100% on tooled lip and date range.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argh! Ye be pouring me a bit o rum now! Lol! I understand. I miss a lot myself plus I rarely stray far from de ship.
The seam does not go all the way up. Looks like the neck is applied. Did I get that right? Here he is cleaned up a bit.

View attachment 1947541

Arrrgh....the keys to the rum room are yours !! Very nice find and a great displayer for your she shack bottle shelf....if ya got a bottle shelf yet ?? Congrats on that beauty !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure the ground hog gets a double ration of rum too !!:occasion14:

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Not applied but "tooled-". After being blown in the mould, the bottle was cracked loose from the blowpipe (at the top of the bottle), and then the jagged edge was tooled into this shape while still molten, with a shaped pair of tongs. That ring around the neck near the shoulders of the bottle is from the mould itself and not from tooling. Where the seam stops/fades is where the tooling has taken place.

Alright! I do believe you taught me something. I was supposed to start a thread about this, but never got around to it. I was at a garage sale and there were some old bottles I was choosing between. One was embossed with California Fig and it had a seam running all the way up. The other was this Foley's which the seam faded like the one in this thread. I chose the Foleys's because I thought it would be older. So, the Foley would be Tooled and would that mean it would also be in the same date range?

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright! I do believe you taught me something. I was supposed to start a thread about this, but never got around to it. I was at a garage sale and there were some old bottles I was choosing between. One was embossed with California Fig and it had a seam running all the way up. The other was this Foley's which the seam faded like the one in this thread. I chose the Foleys's because I thought it would be older. So, the Foley would be Tooled and would that mean it would also be in the same date range?

Although I'd estimate that this bottle is from about the same date range, give or take a year or two, tooling isn't necessarily the one single characteristic that pinpoints a specific date range. Other indicators are the style/shape of the bottle and embossing, the appearance of the glass itself, colour, thickness, surface texture, etc. After handling more and more bottles you start to get a good "hunch" for guesstimating an approximate date range.

EDIT: Here's a good place to start - https://sha.org/bottle/

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it seems to me you need to dig a few test holes... old house dump site.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mr has been wanting to take the tractor with bucket and scoop up the bricks and loose stone. I am afraid that will damage what lies beneath. What do you think? He also suggested me digging all the dirt out and putting it in my little trailer and hauling it to another area to metal detect later. I DK what we?re going to do with the broken bricks. I will confess I was thinking of a screen on top of the trailer to catch stuff.

What is something everyone has, but don?t?

Over the years I have kept all the bricks I've dug at old homesites. I've laid them into many things around my home over the years. I have one walkway leaving my back door all the way down one side of my house to the wash room in back along with borders around some gardens. I still remember every site in which those bricks were found...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread