WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Every night this week, I have been collecting rocks and bricks out of the cellar hole to use on two other projects.

attachment.php

There are several ground hog holes and I check them every night with the metal detector and eyeball. There always seems to be fresh digging going on.

I kid you not, last night there was a bottle tossed out of the hole.

attachment.php
Look at the lower left corner.

attachment.php

I eyeballed around and, at first glance, I thought this was critter poop. Upon closer examination, it appears to be a heel from a child's shoe. I could see the nails in it. It pretty much disintegrated when I picked it up for the pic.

attachment.php

The bottle is a Styron and Beggs.

attachment.php

I found a little bit of information on the company. But, if you will notice, the bottle does not have "Great Seal" on it. I am not sure, but could this be an earlier bottle before the company incorporated?

Styron, Beggs & Company

Styron, Beggs & Company was a Newark, Ohio manufacturing company specializing in grocers? drugs, flavoring extracts, ammonia, bluing and home remedies. These products were sold under the Great Seal brand name. The company was founded in 1895 and, in 1909, employed between sixty and seventy people, not including approximately 12 traveling salesmen.

While some sources cite the beginning of The Styron Beggs Company being 1893, the first mention of the business in the Newark City Directory is in the 1895-1896 edition and places the offices at 201-3 North 4th Street in downtown Newark. In 1897, the Secretary of State certified the incorporation of the Central Ohio Chemical Company of Newark. Listed as incorporators are Frank L. Beggs, John L. Styron, Harry Swisher, John H. Swisher and Edward W. Crayton.

In December of 1909, Frank L. Beggs, one of the founders and president of the company at the time, was fined $5 for misbranding of lemon flavor by the Food and Drug Administration. The label of the Manhattan Compound Lemon product claimed that it contained 1.25% lemon oil; however, analysis of the product showed ?only a mere trace of lemon oil? was present.

In January of 1916, Frank L. Beggs, who had quite the political career and reputation for philanthropy, announced that The Styron Beggs Company would be moving into the former Swisher Building at 39 South 4th Street in Newark. This building was demolished in 2003 to make room for a new Newark Police Department.

Thanks for looking!

WannaDig

Attachments

• cellar 2.jpg
    cellar 2.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 342
  • bricks.jpg
    bricks.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 52
  • ground hog hole.jpg
    ground hog hole.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 329
  • bottle.jpg
    bottle.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 319
  • heel.jpg
    heel.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 325
  • bottle rinsed.jpg
    bottle rinsed.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Don’t work um too hard WD:laughing7:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check the ground hog holes. Had one dig up a large cent for me once.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Employing/exploiting critters to do your digging work is totally acceptable in these parts.
I'm thinking you should be just bringing a little treat over to the GroundHog for a thank you for the bottle dig.
Now to be even kinder you should supply a little set of gloves so it won't cut it's paws up doing your dirty work for you. :laughing7:

NICE SCORE ON THE BOTTLE! :headbang:

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Don’t work um too hard WD:laughing7:

Employing/exploiting critters to do your digging work is totally acceptable in these parts.
I'm thinking you should be just bringing a little treat over to the GroundHog for a thank you for the bottle dig.
Now to be even kinder you should supply a little set of gloves so it won't cut it's paws up doing your dirty work for you. :laughing7:

NICE SCORE ON THE BOTTLE! :headbang:

LOL! I almost titled the thread, "Ground Hog Finally Paid it's Rent!"

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our groundhogs need to step up their game. Nothing but dirt! Congrats on a nice bottle!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
An ammonia bottle from Styron& Beccs (Beggs) shows a seal on the label , Explaining what it (the seal) means.
il_680x540.802505665_c25l.jpg

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check the ground hog holes. Had one dig up a large cent for me once.

a mole tunnel at the high school field along the canopied sidewalk gifted me an 1818 Large------

"ANIMALS ARE GREAT"--------credits to Greg Gutfeld:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright::hello2::laughing9::laughing9::laughing9::laughing9::laughing9::laughing9:

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
There's more...

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing,

NJ

Thanks, NJ. I know there is more. Trying to formulate a plan on how an old lady with a bum knee can dig it up. Slowly. One Day at a time.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Our groundhogs need to step up their game. Nothing but dirt! Congrats on a nice bottle!!

Thank youLenrac.
Ok I ma going to tell you my secret (not really a secret). After I have inspected the piles, I brush/kick (depends on how brave or stupid I am that day) some back in the hole. Thus, the critter cleans it back out.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions