Christmas Coke Bottles Patent Dec 25 1923

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Quote from this website:http://www.sodamuseum.bigstep.com/generic34.html
Years: 1923 - 1937

Important Words On Bottle: "PATENTED DEC 25 1923"

Description: Hobbleskirt, 6 oz. raised letter, cork/crown sealed, returnable.

Historical Notes: Coca-Cola's famous "Christmas Bottle". The Patent Office just happened to be open on Christmas, when it reviewed and approved Coca-Cola's second bottle application. HH omnicognic 8)

OP
OP
H

Hambone

Jan 4, 2005
Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Omni for the heads up on the bottle site!

Ham

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hambone said:
While digging a privy this weekend I found two Coke bottles with patent dates of Dec 25 1923 and the city of Beaumont Texas in the bottom. They were found at the 4' level in the privy. Anybody have any information?

Hambone

They're worth a few dollars (not big $$ but probably $10 to $20 a piece).

HH and keep us posted with that ghost town hunt!

Lonewolfe

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lonewolfe said:
Hambone said:
While digging a privy this weekend I found two Coke bottles with patent dates of Dec 25 1923 and the city of Beaumont Texas in the bottom. They were found at the 4' level in the privy. Anybody have any information?

Hambone

They're worth a few dollars (not big $$ but probably $10 to $20 a piece).

HH and keep us posted with that ghost town hunt!

Lonewolfe
This is a quote or price listing from,"KOVELS ADVERTISING COLLECTIBLES PRICE LIST" 2005 edition."Bottle,Hobble Skirt,Aqua,Embossed,December 25,1923,20-1/4x6 in................385.00".So what size are the ones you found.You'd be surprised to see what some people will pay for some things.The value of an object is determined by what someone else is willing to pay for it.Good luck and keep on searchin'

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Correct me if I am wrong but there was only one Coke bottle size during that era (6.5 oz.).

I drank hundreds of Cokes out of those Christmas bottles when I was growing up. That was the only bottle Coca-Cola had for many years so there were literally millions of them made.

Unless the bottles you found are in perfect condition I doubt they are worth a great deal. Maybe $2, $5 or even $10 (if you find the right buyer) but I can't see them being worth anywhere close to $100.

Still a nice find.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Klaatu said:
Correct me if I am wrong but there was only one Coke bottle size during that era (6.5 oz.).

I drank hundreds of Cokes out of those Christmas bottles when I was growing up. That was the only bottle Coca-Cola had for many years so there were literally millions of them made.

Unless the bottles you found are in perfect condition I doubt they are worth a great deal. Maybe $2, $5 or even $10 (if you find the right buyer) but I can't see them being worth anywhere close to $100.

Still a nice find.

Well,I guess you stand corrected because I know for a fact that there was a 23 1/2 oz. bottle in 1920.Not as many produced, so that's probably why they're worth so much,uhh,because they are scarce and hard to come by.Not that I would pay such a ridiculous price for a commercially produced semi-modern glass bottle.Good luck and H.H.

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Interesting. But if the 23.5 oz. bottles were around in 1920 they would not have the Christmas 1923 trademark date. So what Hambone found couldn't be one of them.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
???They produced a 23 1/2 oz. bottle in 1920,I didn't say that was the ONLY year they produced it.Where you at Hambone? :o

OP
OP
H

Hambone

Jan 4, 2005
Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys but they are the standard 6 oz bottles.

Hambone

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
Ok guys condition is everything in selling a coke bottle,but what really determines the price is what town it is from.Some small towns might have only issued a few,especially if thier bottling plant closed down just after the christmas coke just came out.Some of these rare small town cokes can bring hundreds of dollars.

Wayne from Maine

Mar 22, 2005
Portland Maine
I don't care so much about the value, how many do you see from this location!

Attachments

• coke2.jpg
    coke2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 12,183
  • coke1.jpg
    coke1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 12,728

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Interesting find... I had one that said Havana, Cuba on the bottom but I sold it.

rico

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2004
happy new year ,,,,,,,sorry to get in on this so late...hope you can remember ..but just wanted to say i found a coke hobble skirt with manila philippines on the bottom.....it is packed so can't check the dates, (not a Christmas coke)..but probably 40's circa......I found it in the crater floor of Diamond Head volcano in Waikiki Hawaii.....from 1898 til about the 70s or 80s it was still an active army base, Fort Derussy........just thought you may find this interesting........

treeman14307

Dec 23, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a christmas coke.I just dug it 3 hrs ago.It is a Chattanooga,TN bottle with a nick/chip 1/8'x3/8" on the outside edge of the bottom.I am new to this hobby.I never understood the allure ,but 1 dig was all it took.Any help pricing this bottle would be greatly appreciated !

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
According to Bill Porter, the rarity factors are as follows for 1923s ...

Beaumont, Texas = Common
Roswell, New Mexico = Scarce
Chattanooga, Tennessee = Common

Typically, the smaller the town, the better the condition, the more they're worth. However, the most valuable Coca Cola bottle of all time doesn't even have a town name on it and was sold on December 3, 2011 for $240,000.00. But everyone already knows about that one. If not, here's a picture of it ... patented in 1915 and was the very first contour bottle. The prototype was redesigned, slimed down, and finally distributed for the first time in 1917.

Attachments

• Coca Cola Prototype Bottle - 1915 - Dec 2011 Auction (2) (265x600).jpg
    Coca Cola Prototype Bottle - 1915 - Dec 2011 Auction (2) (265x600).jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,171
  • Coca Cola Prototype Bottle - 1915 - Base (2) (600x577).jpg
    Coca Cola Prototype Bottle - 1915 - Base (2) (600x577).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,038

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Hambone said:

Hambone

Hey Hambone,

Look very carefully in the "waist" area of the bottles (i.e. the narrowest section above the base skirt and below the embossing). You should find a symbol and a couple of numbers printed there. One of those numbers represents the last two digits of the year the bottle was made. :read2:

I'd be interested to hear - or better yet see a picture - of what you find :icon_sunny:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Christmas coke bottle is from Columbus Ga.
I was told it was the only day Coke worked there employees on Christmas day. I don't know if that is fact or not.
In a collector book, many years ago, (more then 15), they had the value set at $6.00.
That only makes you wish you had a boxcar full of them, imo!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread