insulators, whats the point, whats the attraction

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
Where I live there is a long stretch of old abandoned railroad that a local guy who is a friend of my family's bought and turned into a trail for people to walk or ride bikes on. Along the whole stretch the old telegraph poles are still standing. The insulators are still on top of the poles. My brother and I tore down a couple hundred yards of telegraph wire to use for an antenna. I'm sure it would be okay for me to go out and get the insulators down. My question is whats the point of collecting these. Is there a high value for em? Is there a market for them because they would have no value if I had nobody to sell them to. What is it that makes them attractive to some of you guys? I dont understand it so pull me out of the darkness and show me the light because I think it seems kinda strange ??? :icon_scratch:

I also posted this in Antiques & Collectibles

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
SteveDodds,

yes folks do collect them; some sell them;
some enjoy the hunt for them.

"question is whats the point of collecting these(?)"
If you have to ask :-\ ::)........................

"seems kinda strange "
to each his own. :wink:

have a good un..........
SHERMANVILLE

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
What color are they...are they glass or stonewear?

I guess the pictures below would show "the point" :D $$$$$1000.00-1250.00
green no name.jpg

CAL.ELEC.WORKS
[010] (F-Skirt) CAL.ELEC.WORKS/PATENT {MLOD} SB

Cobalt Blue . . . . . . . . . $5,000-7,500

colbalt.jpg

OP
OP
SteveDodds

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
What is there that I can look for so I dont have to pull them all down. Can I just look for color? Do I need to pull them down and ID them before I know if theyre good ones? Can I just go along and look for a certain style?

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
try posting some pics of them still on the poles and someone here will let you know if they are worth the trouble or not

tommyd

Dec 12, 2006
YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
some are worth a lot and others worth 2-3.00 bucks.
i have seen the ones that i have for sale on private sites for up to 500.00
and then see them at the local flea market for 4.00 bucks.
you will see these variances take place with east coast vs west coast sites.
thats the only thing i can figure.
plus a person will take their chances at not selling something at 500.00 as compared
to selling something for fair value at 4.00 ............
some people have much time on their hands and can afford that luxury.

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
LOOKS like a lot of $$$$$$ MONEY sitting on those poles.........EBAY each one>>>$$$$$$$$$$$ kachingggggg..

db

OP
OP
SteveDodds

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I've seen some shaped like the ones circled where I'm talking about. Whats the easiest way to get them down? I cant drive a vehicle where these are at. I would have to carry my tools. Do they just screw off? Do I need some sort of wrench?

insulator245

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre!
Most of the insulators in your pictures are common. Anything rubber or plastic are common. The rubbers are Continental Rubber Works pieces and the plastic ones are HK Porters, which are VERY common. The glass ones are Hemingray-42s, which are also pretty common. Colorful glass is the best to go for. Colors like purple, amber, carnival etc. Threadless pieces are older and often command a much higher price than threaded pieces. These types of stuff probably aren't on that line, but it cant hurt to look. That is probably a 1940-1950 line, making most of the insulators newer styles.

I'm one of the biggest buyers and sellers of insulators in New England and have been collecting them for 10 years now. The most expensive piece Ive seen sell is a CD 158.9 Boston Bottle Works in root beer amber, which sold for $35,000. It is in the link below...

http://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=98498774

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread