Bounty Hunter, Garrett, or.....Famous Trails?

Feb 3, 2009
Hi all,
new to the site and need a little input on a detector for myself. I currently own a Famous Trails Discriminator II I bought from Big5 a few years ago. I used it a few times, became frustrated and put it in the closet back then. Recently I found this website and became intrested again. So I broke out the ole discriminator and started swinging my backyard. Right away I found my settings from years ago were wrong. I fiddled with them a little and started hearing the noises all over my backyard. I dug up the locations and basically found junk but man was I excited and felt like I found treasure. My wife did nothing but make fun of me. I was laughing with her of course, I mean come on metal detecting my little 30'X20' backyard?

Anyway, the main point of this email was requesting advice on upgrading or staying with what I have. I have been reading a lot about the Pioneer 202, the Sharpshooter II and Garrett's ACE 250. I'm not too familiar with the pulse detectors therefore feel my best options as a novice would be the Bounty Hunter models using the VLF operation. So what do you all think? Stay with the Famous trails for a while or sell it and upgrade to a BH? I don't want to stay with the Famous Trails model if people are laughing about the model and saying I'm going to be missing a lot of finds. Can't seem to find any reviews on the Discriminator on-line. Any help is greatly appreciated.

--BeaverBeliever

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
Don't worry about the laughing. The problem, as I see it, is your faith, or maybe lack of, in your current machine. Go ahead and upgrade, but keep it simple. Most Bounty Hunters are turn on and go, and are VLF. The Ace 250 is a great little machine, though I noticed the price has gone up by $100 or better this year. Guess that's one way to stimulate the economy!

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know the machine you have but, I know the BH models are not bad and a ace is a little better, I can say this cause i own them......any detector that can see metal will work. The key is learning how to use it and what it is telling you.....thats the hardist part of any machine. with all machines there are beeps and tones that you have to learn, the display on more high $ machines are not always right, but the beeps and tones are when you learn them....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread