Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the Land Star (Radio Shack version) that I have listed on the Trade Forum. I bought it for my son (an adult) to try to get him into the hobby, but he is being sent to Germany and doesn't want to take it with him.

I have a Tesoro Deleon and a Compadre which suffices for my hunting. I put the Land Star together and took it out back just to make sure it works. I followed the manual and used the GroundTrac and ground balance to set it up. I placed a quarter on the ground and lifted the coil to about 5" before the unit went silent. Now I know an oxidized coin produces an aura that detectors find better. I wanted to try and get an older Tesoro for it because I have 5 coils that would allow me to interchange with, especially if I had to send back my Deleon.

So if it were you.........................is the Land Star a good detector to keep? It seems the other coils are less expensive than the Tesoro coils. I guess I'm just trying to find out if I should keep it or not. I don't think it's as good as my Deleon, but I haven't taken the time to learn it's language.

Thanks,

Dan

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am spoiled with the major brands but have used the Bounty Hunters and sold them. The Land Star is the top of the line for Bounty Hunters and has a lot of features for the money. You just have to learn the detector and it will serve well with lots of fun. The are under rated and I have to fight with myself to not bad mouth them because I like the Tesoro's so much better.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Land Star, but not long enough to really put it through any real world tests. It air tested great (quarter at 12") and the ID was pretty accurate as long as the target wasn't too deep. It seems as light as a Tesoro, but my biggest problem with it is with only a two piece pole, I just can't get it comfortably adjusted for me.

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
Ive had mine for a few years now and really like it. Picks up everything but is a little fickle with the ground track at times. On the All Metal setting I get very deep targets.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
I have one and have found thousands of coins with it. It is not bad in finding jewelry either. while there are deeper machines on the market, this machine doesn't have bad depth at all in my soil. It ground balances only in all-metal mode and is preset in discrimation and notch mode. The 4 inch coil will go very deep for its size and is a demon in high trashy areas. good luck!

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
I have a LS Camo.

It will find the back of a ear ring 7" down in the sand of a TOT lot.

There sorta put together on the cheap side but performers for sure.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wrote a review on the Land Star many years ago long before Mickey Cochran left Bounty Hunter for Tesoro. Mickey and I hooked up years ago and I wrote reviews of the Land Star, the Discovery 3000, the Discovery 1000, the Tracker IV, and the Time Ranger (when it had the little antenna on top).

The Land Star is a deep-seeker and found lots of great relics for me. I love the disc-notch capability since a lot of the areas I detect have tons of iron. If I want old coins, getting rid of the iron was a big plus. The LS handled it well. Ground-balance is excellent in red clay. I had much better results there then with my Tesoro Bandito.

When the Land Star gets fickle, it is time to change the batteries. It is a stable machine and will serve you well until the batteries are very low. That takes a while. I always had good battery life.

The three-tone target ID system is great and really works the way BH says it does. The depth meter also is accurate. All around, it is a great performer and the best of their line. For the money, you would have a hard time beating it.

djrocker

Greenie
Aug 28, 2012
Spring, Texaas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150 / BH Camo LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a LS Camo.

It will find the back of a ear ring 7" down in the sand of a TOT lot.

There sorta put together on the cheap side but performers for sure.

I just got an LS Camo today, still messing with it in the yard. Thanks for that post, makes me a little more confident in the trade I made for it today!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread