Land Star Depth Question

dano21

Jun 27, 2010
I'm new to the hobby and recently got a BH Land Star. My main question is why does the depth always read 4-8 inches? I've planted items (silver, iron, zinc, etc) at 2 inches and surface (to practice) and the depth reader still estimates 4-8 inches. Is it my machine? I've read the manual multiple times

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried the Land Star and the Lone Star. Depth readouts on them aren't very accurate.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Hi,
Remember that the depth readout is calculated from the bottom of the coil. If you hold the coil 2" above the ground and the target is 2" in the ground, it will read 4". A deeper large target (pop can) can easily fool the ID as will a smaller than coin sized target. Don't expect the indicators to be very accurate. They are based on coins, so it will take time to learn what the detector is telling you. My Land Star is pretty good at telling me what is in the ground and where it is, but the depths can be deceptive. Here's a trick to try. When you are pin pointing a target, go into all metal mode. Scrub the coil around on the ground until the sound is at its loudest. Go back into disc mode and look at the depth. It should be pretty close. Hope this helps you out.

OP
OP
D

dano21

Jun 27, 2010
Makes more sense, I still rarely, if ever, get surface or 2" readings, even if my coil is touching the ground

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Hi Dano,
There is something I forgot to mention. Make sure the machine is ground balanced properly. If it isn't, that can make the machine do some funny things that will drive you crazy. The manual is somewhat confusing on this procedure. The Land Star balances a little differently than other detectors. Don't keep pushing the ground trac button like they tell you to. It will mess you up. I was fighting this and found a thread in the BH web site on balancing this unit. Night and day difference! It works perfect now. Basically, set the knob to the middle position. Push the ground trac button then the all metal button. Pump the coil and adjust to suit. Then, keep off the ground trac button. It resets the ground balance range to zero wherever the knob happens to be sitting. Maybe this will help. It is just thought.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slowNsteady said:
Hi Dano,
There is something I forgot to mention. Make sure the machine is ground balanced properly. If it isn't, that can make the machine do some funny things that will drive you crazy. The manual is somewhat confusing on this procedure. The Land Star balances a little differently than other detectors. Don't keep pushing the ground trac button like they tell you to. It will mess you up. I was fighting this and found a thread in the BH web site on balancing this unit. Night and day difference! It works perfect now. Basically, set the knob to the middle position. Push the ground trac button then the all metal button. Pump the coil and adjust to suit. Then, keep off the ground trac button. It resets the ground balance range to zero wherever the knob happens to be sitting. Maybe this will help. It is just thought.

Yup, :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread