Bounty Hunter Time Ranger

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got it a week ago and LOVE it! Anybody else have one of these and if so how do you like it? I am still getting used to all the bells and whistles so I can't tell anyone a lot about the thing other than I have found some deep targets 10-12 inches with dry ground. It seems to have some power.

Can anyone else add more? I would like to see how some other people review this machine.

L

LEO037

I am buying one right now.
It is used though.
He gave me a great price.
I hope he really ships it, I hope I don't get ripped off.
Will have alot to say about it when it gets here.

Can you post more information about it.
Update with your finds and experiences.
Thanks

L

LEO037

Time Ranger just came in the mail.
This is the older model, it has the C Cells, it takes 2 C cell batteries.
It failed every air test. I mean in inches.
It tells you what the item is very accurate, but it won't read a quarter more then 6 inches away.
A dime or penny a may be 5 inches.
I don't know, I haven't used it, just opened it and turned it on, then I'll move some coins in front of the coil, and I am a little dissapointed.
I will try it, and if it doesn't outperform my 3300, I will sell it.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
The air test doesn't mean much. Plus think about it. Do you really want to dig 12 inches and then find out something is a poptop?

OP
OP
MAINE HILLS HUNTER

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that mine works better at finding stuff in the ground rather than air testing. and ... I have dup 12 inches deep to find a full tab... but i also have dug 15 inches for a silver dime.

B

bdoubled

I've owned one of the newer models and if you buy different coils for it, it's best to send the mahcine and the coils to BH factory for matching to get best performance.

OP
OP
MAINE HILLS HUNTER

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bdoubled said:
I've owned one of the newer models and if you buy different coils for it, it's best to send the mahcine and the coils to BH factory for matching to get best performance.

Where do you get different coils for it. I have the the stock 8 inch coil and the 4 inch coil that came with mine. Do you mean that I would have to give up my detector for a while?

Eric

J

jeff@middlesex

Yes, air tests do mean something, as there is something solid with iron mineral in a ground test.
It will not do better in ground than in air.
If you are not willing to dig a foot, or more-why hunt at all-the deeper stuff is the older stuff.

Actually air tests mean your batteries are working. Machines are designed to look through ground. To have something not air between the coil an the target. Thats when a machine works and registers correctly. Deep stuff is not a foot down, get it together Ferrous before you make statements like that.

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
I have dug deeper targets in the ground than I could air test. I have dug dimes at 7 inches before and 1-2 quarters at 8 inches. I have even picked up old style pull tabs with a tail at 8 inches, I figured it couldn't be a pull tab that deep but it was.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ,If you guys don,t agree that a target that has been in the ground a while reads better than one in air you need to get out and detect more. An air test will tell you a little about your detector, like what it will read as an ID and can be used to tested rejection setups. It will not give good readings in air for depth. Think about it, when is the last time you detected for coins with your coil in the air? To get a good idea of depth, plant a test garden and let it sit for a few months, then try it out.

Ed Donovan

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Shift,

The name is Ed not, DUDE. I am confused. You say I misstate the proposition, but if you reread my post you will see that you are repeating my first sentence exactly. Objects that are detected by metal detectors under go physical changes causing them to give a better response to the detectors transmitted signal. I understand every process the signal goes through, transmitting and receiving, and every term used by detectors manufacturers. "Not any detectors I know of that only hits a dime at 5" in the air will do 8" in the ground." I don,t think so, My IDX Pro does exactly that. My background is Electronics including the physics related.

Iowa Hunter,

Good luck with the Time Ranger, You have a good attitude about detecting and that will help you get the most out of your detector.

Ed Donovan

OP
OP
MAINE HILLS HUNTER

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ecdonovan said:
Red-Shift,

The name is Ed not, DUDE.

now that is funny!

Iowa Hunter,

Good luck with the Time Ranger, You have a good attitude about detecting and that will help you get the most out of your detector.

Ed Donovan

Ed, Thanks for the kind words. I love to get out and swing the coil. It is so easy to have a good attitude about detecting, It totally rocks! Thanks again Ed and if you are ever in the Des Moines Metro area send me a message and we will go do some hunting!

To Everybody else: Everybody I detect with except 1 uses a bounty hunter. We all love them, have no problem with them, and I have yet to figure out what all the slams and complaining about bounty hunter is all about.

I think most bounty hunter users must misuse their machines because all 7 of us have no problems. We seem to find good stuff and at good depths. Like I have said I have found a dime at 15 inches and I understand that it might be a complete fluke and I may never find something that small that deep again, but it happened. I regularly find coins at 8 inches which is really deep enough for me.

I mean my sons $49 bounty hunter Jr does well, it detects metal at depths up to 5 inches for coin size object and 2 feet for large objects. If we can get those kind of results out of a "toy"...I don't see what all the negative fuss is about.

As for air tests...they are just that...AIR TESTS. To me they have absolutely no relevance because I detect in the ground because last time I checked that is where the metal is. For me they tell me what kind of a sound my detector might make and if my detector is on!

I will gladly go hunting with anybody that has a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$uber$$$$$$$$$$detector and prove that I will find just as many good things.

As for the person that knows about the extra coils...please enlighten me...I have the 4in and 8 in and would like to get a 12 in or something of that sort if you know if they are available and how I get them.

Ed, thanks again for the kind words

Eric

P

PostFatal

as far as i've seen the 10" magnum is the biggest you'll find for bounty hunter. I've googled it and it seems that everyone sells it, even Amazon.com. I posted a question in tech talk about calibrating coils but no one has answered me yet.

iamwood

May 27, 2006
MA
Not sure about all of the stuff being said, but I have used this detector for a few years now and in my experience:
A: The air test doesn't do much for me other than ID a target accurately and make sure the unit is on.

B: I detect about 8" with an air test, yet have pulled many coins 9", 10", even 12" deep, and they were the only target in the hole.

C: If I am reading the other posts correctly, I agree with the longer a coin is in the ground and moisture makes them easier to detect. The only thing the corrosion seems to do is make it register differently, but anyone who has been detecting for awhile will tell you, the deeper the target, the less accurate the ID will be.

That said, the BHTR is a great machine, Deep and accurate. Learn to use the all metal mode, and DIG 'EM ALL.

Mike

iamwood

May 27, 2006
MA
So is this a review of this machine or is it a pissing contest over semantics.

It's a good detector, use it in all metal mode, learn the machine, and it will produce for you.
Happy Hunting!!!
Mike

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last comment for me on this topic. I give up. Can you guess Why?

Iowa Hunter,

I helped a young man get into metal detecting last January. He had a Bounty Hunter and did just fine with it. He found a Sacajawea Dollar the first time out, I was a little jealous. You will do well.

Ed

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
ecdonovan said:
Red-Shift,

The name is Ed not, DUDE. I am confused. You say I misstate the proposition, but if you reread my post you will see that you are repeating my first sentence exactly. Objects that are detected by metal detectors under go physical changes causing them to give a better response to the detectors transmitted signal. I understand every process the signal goes through, transmitting and receiving, and every term used by detectors manufacturers. "Not any detectors I know of that only hits a dime at 5" in the air will do 8" in the ground." I don,t think so, My IDX Pro does exactly that. My background is Electronics including the physics related.

Iowa Hunter,

Ed Donovan

Ed is right.
I have never wasted my time doing an air test. As far as I am concerned an air test is worthless. Just go outside and start searching. That is where you will find out if your detector is working or not.

J

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Du.....uh, I mean Ed, ;) :D I have both Garrett and BH detectors and my Garrett manual even says air testing is not all that accurate and is used mainly for demonstration purposes. My Radio Shack 3300 manual eludes to a quick-start demonstration and makes it clear that the air test is mainly to familiarize you with your new detector. Only then does it go into the basic operation. So,from that and from personal experience I will have to agrree with ED on this one. My GTI 2500 will only air test about 4" on coins but in the ground it will do 9 or 10 inches. I also have a LandRanger and ditto! I like my Bounty Hunder products and it seems like I am always having to defend them, usually from someone that hasn't used them or possibly had a bad experience somewhere along the line. The landRanger and TimeRanger are not your Daddy's Bounty Hunter and that's for sure! Monty

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just out of curiousity, Monty, does the Land Ranger have a backlit LCD? Also, someone said the screen is too small and hard to read. It seems like there is a lot of information packed onto a small screen, but I've only seen pictures of the LR.

Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread