BH Discovery 3300 !

L

LEO037

As of recent, the most popular BH has been Radio Shack's Discovery 3300.
The reason for this was due to a liquidation sale. It retailed for $399 but was on sale for only $199.

I believed all the hype and bought one for my first detector.
Other detector owners, bought the 3300 as a second, or third detector.
I have used it over 5 times now, mainly on the dry sand of the beach.
In my opinion and hundreds of coins in clad, this machine works great.

I'm sure it out performs alot of more expensive machines.
I have read testimonials from the owners of high end detectors.
Alot have confirmed this, that this inexpensive machine works like a charm.

The only downside of it is the Pin-Pointing mode on the 8" stock coil.
Either I haven't mastered it yet, or its just not so accurate.
Everything else works really good.
I am almost always right on the money on what the target is before I dig it up.
Really accurate machine, detects really deep also.
I have only detected on salt water beaches so far, this is my experience.

Not saying that it is better than the 1000+ machines.
It is better than most $300-$700 detectors, and if its not, it sure competes very well with them.
For the price difference, its sure worth it.

I am in no way advertising for BH. This model is discontinued. They are very hard to find right now.
I don't sell any detectors.
I own a Discovery 3300 and I'm now buying a used Time Ranger online.

It is surely a BEST Buy and Bang for your buck. 5 out of 5, for its price and performance.
HH

S

StPeteSearcher

I just bought one (my first metal detector and my first post here)

They're on clearance at Radio Shack for $112 now. :)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104700

Edit: They out of stock online, but most stores seem to have them, around here at least. Make sure to click on the "Available at most stores, find it near you" link

S

StPeteSearcher

oh ya - the shelf tag in the store still said $199. I had to show him that the web site said $112, and his inventory computer matched.

OP
OP
L

LEO037

These were $400 not too long ago, same machine as the Titan with only appearance difference.
I bought so many to re-sale.
The best deal ever.

lms7652

May 19, 2006
Re: BH Discovery 3300 and pinpointing

I just bought a 3300 myself from Radio Shack for $112. I just got back from using it at a local park. Found several coins and one of them was a dollar coin. Found a sterling silver car that looks like it came from a necklace, some buttons, a pin and an old pocketknife. The pinpointing works great on mine. I was able to feel a lot of the coins, etc with a screwdriver and then pop them out of the ground using just that. One trick I learned was that if you are going to use the pinpoint button turn the sensitivity all the way down or down just far enough to where the signal would be a lot smaller. This seemed to work good. Most of the time I did not even have to use the pinpoint button though.

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,800
  • car1.jpg
    car1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,801
  • coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,796

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BH Discovery 3300 and pinpointing

lms7652 said:
I just bought a 3300 myself from Radio Shack for $112. I just got back from using it at a local park. Found several coins and one of them was a dollar coin. Found a sterling silver car that looks like it came from a necklace, some buttons, a pin and an old pocketknife. The pinpointing works great on mine. I was able to feel a lot of the coins, etc with a screwdriver and then pop them out of the ground using just that. One trick I learned was that if you are going to use the pinpoint button turn the sensitivity all the way down or down just far enough to where the signal would be a lot smaller. This seemed to work good. Most of the time I did not even have to use the pinpoint button though.

Thats awesome..........I couldn't pass up the deal either.......at 60% off the regular price!!! I bet they will be coming out with a entire new line of Radio Shack detectors......maybe why they were discounted. I was going to save for a Ace 250, or a Tesoro Cibola........but this was just too good of a deal to past up, even if I don't like it.....I can always EBAY it.

I have found zincs in my yard that I couldn't find before, I also found a 1953 wheat. Yo got some great finds!!!!!!!
Keep us all posted with your finds with this detector in the future to document it's performance......

good luck
mws

lms7652

May 19, 2006
I was going to save for a Ace 250, or a Tesoro Cibola

I own the ace 250, the BH3300 and the Cibola. I just got done doing some depth testing with all 3 of them. The little 3300 will go deeper than the ace and is about on par with the Cibola with the sensitivity and the threshold all the way up. I believe that the 3300 will go deeper than the cibola too if I did not have it maxed out. The pinpointing on the cibola is the best out of the three and the ace is the worst. I love the signal the 3300 puts out, just a simple beep and it is good at pinpointing too. For the money it has to be the best deal on the market.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lms7652 said:
I was going to save for a Ace 250, or a Tesoro Cibola

I own the ace 250, the BH3300 and the Cibola. I just got done doing some depth testing with all 3 of them. The little 3300 will go deeper than the ace and is about on par with the Cibola with the sensitivity and the threshold all the way up. I believe that the 3300 will go deeper than the cibola too if I did not have it maxed out. The pinpointing on the cibola is the best out of the three and the ace is the worst. I love the signal the 3300 puts out, just a simple beep and it is good at pinpointing too. For the money it has to be the best deal on the market.

wow......those were all the detectors i was looking at......

so are you glad you bought it......and do you think you will use it compared to the others???

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
I had a 2200 and sold it to a friend for the 70 I paid for it and got the last 3300 my local Radio Shack had, I had to buy the floor model. A guy was on the phone asking them to hold it while I was buying it. I just used it for an hour in my back yard and got 66 cents plus 3 of them were weaties. I had used my 2200 in almost all of those same spots. I found bits of iron near most of those coins so I think that was messing up my detecting on the 2200. I was digging up the bits of iron because on pin point mode I hitting them too.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and it has manual ground balance, this feature was what I was looking for.....ACE 250.....has none!

OP
OP
L

LEO037

the 3300 is the BEST!!!! and its always been the BEST DEAL.

I paid over $220 with taxes for mine.

I have an extra one to sell, bought it before they ran out.
Give it another month and you won't find none ever again.

sabertooth

Dec 13, 2005
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Classic I, Minelab Sovereign, Garret GTX 2500, BH 3300
Just bought a 3300 as a back up. But alas it is out of the box messed up gona take it back and see if I can get me another. Before supplies go. I think it will be a good MD once I get a working one.

Saber

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boobydoo said:
Stay away... far away
from this tree.
It'll suck you in.

Nice pic!!

Smiles!
BDoo

i'll stay away alright..........

Well i got some junk jewelry today, and 7 cents......i have been hunting in disc. mode.....and pressing the zap (notch?) button for what i don't want......
i think i am going to change to All Metal and see what happens, I have a tough time pin pointing where the signal is coming from...... but i'm really new to this.......the detector i had before was very old, it might be that I'm not digging deep enough.....but that is really surprising me...this thing might go pretty deep......http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/msg/1147031751.html
......this link blows my mind....

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
I am still learning to pinpoint on this too. I found a trick I been using, I put my foot right behind where I think the target is then I move the detector away that target and have it like 1 inch from ground then hit pinpoint. I then lift the detector up about 1.5 inches and move it to the target. On most items it will sound loudest right in the center of the coil. The one big problem is on pinpoint mode is all metal if ANY trash around you can have a hard time pinpointing. I havn't really played with ground balance but it like auto ground balances when you hit pinpoint. My 3300 gets a little crazy sometimes at max sensitivity but that is how I got my first silver 1917 mercury dime in my front yard at about 7 inches deep.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep the tips coming.......so far I'm pleased. I don't understand the Taget ID #'s yet either. Are you searching in all metal or disc??

sabertooth

Dec 13, 2005
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Classic I, Minelab Sovereign, Garret GTX 2500, BH 3300
This is just my 2 cents, I think for 112 this is ajamup detector,prolly as good as tesoro u max, or lower end whites and garretts. Not as good as the Minelabs but hey they have no low ends. I own Minelab Soverign, Garrett GTI 2500, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Classic I , and now the 3300. For the money I really thing this will be a good go anywhere short range recon detector. Something to put in the truck for when the detector urge hits at odd times. Also a good thing is its weight, what maybe 2.5 lbs, beats my Soverign that is a horse killer, Iam a horse and it kills me. Yea prolly cant bang it around and slam it like some of the top end brands but hey, treat your equipment good and itll treat you good. A down side I have to nit is no volume control, or maybe I havent found it yet. Anyway time will tell.

Sabertooth

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
I tried to use all metal in my yard but was so many old nails, bolts, rusted junk couldn't dig it all up. I am going to try to borrow some GOOD gold jewery from my mom and see what it target IDs as. I tried some lower quality gold stuff and I got from iron to pull tab/5 cents. I start out digging all the pull tab hits then as I get tired I start to just dig good targets.

sabertooth

Dec 13, 2005
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Ok got out and hunted a bit with my 3300 today. Found 6 cent in an area that I didnt really expect to find much in. It did good dissing the pull tabs and flip tops. Hit a Nickle really good, which is ussually hard when a machine is discriminating pulls. The pin point is a bit tricky but once the ground balance is worked out it is pretty good. This is my opinion of the machine on a 1 to 10 scale 1 being bad like 2 coat hangers and a bottle of witch hazzle, and a 10 being top of the line Mine lab or other.
Well Price is a 10 cant beat the 112 dollar tag.
Pin Pointing 6
Depth is a 7
Durrability this is a tough one 6 and thats being kind(cant treat this one like a bush sling)
Accuracy 8
Weight 10 this thing is easy on the arm
Beginning coil 9 good coin coil not to big not too small

Overall this is an 8 in my opinion.
Good for beginners and a back or a recon detector. And for 112 bucks ya cant go wrong.
Saber

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Id braclet.......with the new 3300!!!!!!!!!! yeah!!!!!!

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,37132.0.html

I hit a local park on my way to work....I've hunted this thing for 6 months off and on with my old detector.
I have got a wheat there, and I know there has got to be some more old stuff there, It is a in the city corner park, it use to have a house/building there along time ago.....I started outaround the play equipment, ground is trashy.....3300 was beeping all over the place, found a few clad pennies.....started messing with sensitivy, lowered to 1 or 2, zapping targets in DISC. mode, started playing with pin pointer, at low sensitivy, ground balancing in pin pointing.....started to get the hang of it.....Pin Pionting is working well. Then looked at the watch had to get to work, thought I would hit a gazebo near the front of the park,
I got a good hit...here was the settings approx.

*Disc. Default ^^^sensitive 2
*ID# 107-147
*Sound-HIGH TONE
*Target bouncing between s/c- 1$
*2-3 depth
*Pin Point sensitive 1

thought I had a pocket spill, several coins but ............it was a silver bling id bracelet.........no way!!!!!
I'll post picture later......It is the biggest jewelry find I have ever dug......I think I thought it was a pop can with my old detector........yeahhhhhhhh!!!!

Money well spent......now the fun factor is coming in!!!!!!!

mwsvector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread