Pioneer 101

S

Smee

Just curious . . . unable to find info about this detector except a manual in pdf format. Don't need that since I have the original manual.

A friend of mine (with no idea how to use a metal detector) had this unit and could not understand that it was a motion type detector, so he gave it to me because he thought it didn't work. Now, I have found a few coins, and lots of nails and junk --- was wondering if anyone had any experience with one of these and could possibly offer some tips (other than "upgrade") for this particular detector . . . 'cause even though I knew more than the person who gave it to me, I am very new to MD'ing.

D

diggit 65

there are three settings on the detector the little red lever .if you set it to disc it will tune out the nails as soon as you turn it there the disc knob will help you tune out some other things the higher you go the more you will disc out I use to set mine at about 11:oo oclock on the disc and it was a good coin shooter in that range after you mess with it for a while youl figure out what you want to tune out and what you don't .If you set it on tone it will make two different tones one high and one low if you go over a nickle it makes a low tone and the higher silver and copper will make a high tone if it can't make up it's mind and just squaks junk if you get a good tone over it both ways it's a digger .if you set it in all metal you will be diggin everything metal Hope I helped it is a good little detector to start out with have fun with it I have found a lot of good stuff with mine and I still have it for a backup if I need it .I found my first merc with it .another thing that I forgot is ir you turn the sence too high for the area that you are hunting you will get a lot of fulse readings usualy 3/4 on the sence is good .for free you can't beat it
Happy Hunting Diggit 8) P.S. the higher the disc the more you miss.

OP
OP
S

Smee

Thnx for the response. I have played around with a few detectors, some white's detectors from back in the 1980's and a few others. The guy was going to throw the detector out because when he stopped swingin it, he didn't get a tone -- so I know he never bothered to read the manual. First paragraph.

Been having a little fun with the machine, found a few coins in my yard (all newer pennies). Trying to get the hang of the detector . . . and will probably be buying a more modern one later this summer --- if I can get some time off for serious hunting.

Supposed to be a cache of old coins (silver and maybe gold) here on my late in-laws property, dating back to the previous owner. Found the foundation of the old house, along with some broken dishes and a spoon. Now to get the time to start looking for the good stuff.

D

diggit 65

Your Quite welcome and happy hunting. ;D

Diggit 8)

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I have one of these, hardly use it anymore. I got it at Walmart a couple of years back. It will pick up big items, but I haven't had much luck on coins, etc. I may have a bad one, who knows. It is a very reasonable detector, though.

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Wah hey .. this looks like the one i got , im another who got it used on ebay.Its in great condition and works fine,found a cent within minutes deep in the yard first time i switched it on.
I used to use a C scope back in the UK and we found buckets full of old coins with that.Ive never been one to even think about laying out a lot of money with the idea of making money..its what it boils down to.
If i can find some old US silver coins with this im happy,should be a few around.

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Thanks ETB , its good to hear good things about the 101 , i havnt had much chance to use it as theres so much snow right now , last year when i got it i found a cent almost right away in the ground , had a bout of pnuemonia and didnt feel up to anything for too long and the cold weather had set in.
My window for detecting is about to open though when this snow goes , a good few weeks before the heat sets in , if i were to set this thing for strictly silver whats my best setting do you think ?
Theres been so much silver coinage in the US i feel theres got to be loads of it around.

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Thank you ETB , i have a good feeling about the site ill be on this year and for the forseeable future.Its private owned farmland and the owner lived alone since 1959 , a bit of a drinker but a hard worker.Im told he set produce out near the dirt road and left an honor box where people took what they wanted and left what they felt was fair i guess..while he presumably was working or drinking.
Ill be sure to post my first US silver :thumbsup:

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Yo ETB

Dude , thanks for the help with settings :thumbsup:, i got out for about 2 hours today and turned up some nice coins , beginners luck maybe but i got an old quarter from the 1890's i need to clean it better to see the date right , theres an old half dollar too from around the same time , couple dimes and nickels and cents.
That was going around the front yard of the old now empty farmhouse.

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Heh heh ill post some pics when i finish that yard

Attachments

• happydance.gif
    happydance.gif
    20 KB · Views: 9,632

BOBBYC

Dec 5, 2008
KNOXVILLE,TN
Detector(s) used
BH LANDSTAR,,ACE 250,Whites Coinmaster Pro,whites MXT,Tesoro cutlass2
I have one of the bounty hunter 101 and I have the bounty hunter landstar the 101 is the back up me and my wife went to a park here in tennessee she wanted to use the 101 she had never used a detector . it was the 101 against the landstar looking for coins, I gave her about 5 min course on how to use it, she ended up finding more coins that day than I did ..

the way I run the 101 is the switch to tone sen at 2:00 and the disc knob at 2:00 it finds a lot of coins

you cant beat this detector

bobby

wds

Greenie
Sep 1, 2008
Owensville ohio
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker 4, BH quick draw 2,Whites 5900di, Minelab XT505
I got a BH Tracker4 which is the same thing. I found a 3 cent piece with it. Don't give up on the 101. The 3 cent coin is about 3/8 diameter and 1/32 thick, if you have never seen one. It was about 2-3 inches down in a bean field.

Attachments

• 1853 3-cent front.jpg
    1853 3-cent front.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,186

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I used to use was a 101 and it was a good machine

spud

Mar 1, 2012
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so its not what machine you use---but how you use it :icon_scratch: :hello:

Top Member Reactions