What to buy for 9 yr olds?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the BH Junior and the BH Tracker IV.

The Tracker IV is actually a really nice machine for the money. I picked mine up for $89 on Ebay a couple of years ago. Depth is decent and it is lightweight which is good for a 9 year old. My 9 and 11 year olds have both used it successfully. I also like the fact that it is a two tone machine as opposed to just one tone. That really helps when trying to figure out what is under the ground. I actually use this feature to sort pennies when coin roll hunting. Zinc pennies give a low tone and copper pennies give a high tone when the discrimination is set all the way up. So that's a nice bonus for me.

I would pass on the BH Junior though. It was cheap and it worked fine for my son when he was 7. But it is not a deep detector and the handle is not conducive to swinging the detector properly. The way the handle is made makes kids want to swing it in a big arc. It also doesn't have a headphone jack so it makes a lot of noise out in the field which attracts the attention of the other kids in the area.

I don't have any experience with any other BH detectors. But I can also readily recommend a Tesoro Silver uMax if you are interested in a deeper machine that is lightweight and easy to use. But it goes for a little more than the Tracker IV.

Good luck.

OP
OP
jharhed

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks alot mts :icon_thumleft:

2 many Hobbies

Mar 8, 2007
Westchester New York
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT pro,Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 350, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I now you said Bounty hunter. I just got my 8 year old son a used Garrett Ace250. The shaft can be made small for him and its light weight. Cant beat it for the price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread