Bounty Hunter

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like norbyx, I started with a Bounty Hunter Platinum, added the "Fisher" F5 DD, coil great machine for the money!! It's basically the same machine as the Tecknetics Gamma 6000. Bounty Hunter, Fisher, and Tecknetics are ALL children of the same parent company and thereby share the same engineering/technology. It seems to me it's all in the marketing, Bounty Hunter is targeting the entry level buyers, Fisher and Tecknetic the more advanced (expensive) market.
I have just recently moved up to the Minelab CTX3030, NOT because I am unhappy with my Bounty Hunter! To the contrary, it is my finds from my Bounty Hunter that financed my CTX!! The CTX is my pre-retirement gift to me. It will be my longterm detector and will give me a little more capability in certain conditions , like being waterproof, a bit more depth, and target separation in trashy areas.
My platinum has found me several gold rings (really hits well on the nickel area where many gold rings also hit) one with a good size diamond. It found me an 1847 seated half dime at over 5". I will not get rid of my Bounty Hunter, even though I now have a more expensive machine!!! There will always be those people who get all puffed up on themselves when they feel they have better equipment than someone else, human nature I guess. Anyone who has a Bounty Hunter detector should go on detecting and enjoying the hobby and let their finds do their talking for them!

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
i love my bh 2200 it finds all kinds of stuff just the other day i found a 1908 canadian large cent. this was in an area hunted by many top dollar machines. not sayin that those machines couldn't find it just that most good stuff is 5" or less and i just happend to put my coil over the keeper. i plan to get another machine someday but i will allways have and use my bh 2200 its just too easy to use and im enjoying it alot.

Dardego

Greenie
Jun 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Texas, a Bounty Hunter works just fine. Most objects found here are only a few inches deep. Up north, thats a different story.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad & me built a Heathkit metal detector back in the 1970's for about $50,it wasn't anything great but as a 6th grader i had a great time with it and found allot of junk and some coins.Years later I bought a Bounty Hunter at a garage sale and sill found the same stuff.I gave up on finding anything good with a detector untill around 2008,when I came across this web sight,and now I have a Garrett Ace 250.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Best proof of the fact most people wrote bad words about BH detectors is the relative unsuccess of the Bh top model Time Ranger. Nobody wanted to pay close to 8-900$ to buy one, because of the brand name.

This unit is the most versatile I have ever used.

Plus it's the brst gold ring identifier I have used to date. ALL the pulltabs read in the 5c range (nickels have a lower value in that same range), so when you get a signal with steady ID in the ... pulltab range, you might be a very happy hunter after digging...

Sad news : The time ranger is no longer sold. Good news, there is a "Time ranger" revival under the name of Titan 9000.

This detector will outclass anything in its price range. To convince yourself, just carefully read the manual. Look at the features...Then buy it !

HH

Grumpy.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know why some people look at Bounty Hunter the way they do,,,I will be the first to say that First Texas products has the best customer service of any of them. I have delt with Garrett & Whites and don't get me wrong they did OK. but I have received very personable help and advice from some of the tech's with First Texas. I still use and will probably die being a Tracker IV owner,,I luv the darn thing! I have a F-2 had a Garrett 250-350 had the White's coinmaster, and its no coincidence that I've kept my 2200 TK IV and my F-2 you get a great Bang! for yer buck!!

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When Mickey Cochran was alive and working for First Texas Mfg. I wrote articles for the Buffalo Nickel (their newsletter) and reviews of their metal detectors. I wrote about the Tracker IV, Discovery 1000, Discovery 3000, the Landstar, and Time Ranger (it had the little antenna on it then). I also had an agreement with Mickey C. that I would answer questions on the machines on the forums... this forum in particular. That was a long time ago 1997 through the time that Mickey went to Tesoro.

BH had great performing machines, but, a lot of the opinions against them were based on price at first... then, one day, they started marketing through Cabela's, Gander Mountain, and some department store chains. That is when a lot of criticism jumped.

I don't know if Mickey C. was ever really mad about the difference in marketing strategy. If so, he never told me. I worked closely with him for a long time. I'd still write for BH if the opportunity presented itself. I still think they have good machines at affordable prices. In fact, some of their features are really great. The machines perform really well in red clay soil.

At any rate, I'll keep watching this forum and if I can help people with BH machines in any way, I will. Meanwhile, enjoy your machines. I hope you all have an abundance of great finds.

Last edited:

Dardego

Greenie
Jun 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my pioneer 202. I've been detecting for over 30 years. Have used several machines. All of the major brands. Still I'm happy with my BH.

backwoods tracker

Jan 2, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been using Bounty Hunters for years and years and years............don't need an excuse.......don't need to give an apology.........could buy about any brand I wanted.....and I do. I use Bounty Hunters, and love em.

ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with a hand-me-down Red Baron from my Dad. Used it for several years then it needed repair. Sent it in under the lifetime warranty and due to improvements in technology I opted to trade it in for a new Big Bud 220 Select. And I still have it and use it. My grandson loves it too. I can't say anything bad about Bounty Hunter. At least the models I've owned.
Dave
8-)

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Had a Fisher as a kid but can't recall which one. Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Guy's that's all good cause I just ordered this'in " First Texas Bounty Hunter Lone Star Metal Detector Treasure Finder" Hope it works good in the desert south of Deming, NM

backwoods tracker

Jan 2, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Guy's that's all good cause I just ordered this'in " First Texas Bounty Hunter Lone Star Metal Detector Treasure Finder" Hope it works good in the desert south of Deming, NM

Learn your machine. Practice with it until you have a good handle on the signals and use of the machine. Preferably also research the area you intend to hunt. The machine will do its job as long as you do yours.

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Could someone please explain to me why anyone who uses Bounty Hunter metal detectors always seems to get bashed for using this brand? I have seen them called toys,mufflers on a stick and so on. Why is it so frowned upon?Did you ever take into consideration that maybe it's all someone could afford?Yes your probably saying buy something used that's from a bigger name brand but why would you do that and give up a warranty on a machine? I think this whole attitude with what anyone uses is starting to be like who has the latest and greatest machine,well that's fine if you can afford to drop thousands of dollars on something like that but,for pete's sakes don't knock what others choose to use,isn't it suppose to be fun to do what we do? I have owned other high end machines and some low end machines including what i have now a Land Star and it does for me what i need it to and then some,so maybe next time someone mentions a machine you don't consider to be of the utmost performer don't bash them,instead give them some pointers so they can get the best out of their machine.
I own one..The Lone star..It's a great little detector,but as someone else said..Coins and other items are getting deeper as each year passes.Thus deeper detecting units are the ones to own now days.Mine will dry pick up a quarter at about 6 inches..Not cutting it in todays standard..But it's great/fantastic for more modern stuff.My opinion.I'm in the market for a deep finder,but am going to research to buy the one that fits my needs.Not only the detector,but also the coils..

Last edited:

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Had a Fisher as a kid but can't recall which one. Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going out into the desert off trail, I have an idea and I am in need of some exercise any, so what's de odds of the area I am going of have being gone over in the last few hundred year or so, heck might find a rock from the milky way who knows.

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going out into the desert off trail, I have an idea and I am in need of some exercise any, so what's de odds of the area I am going of have being gone over in the last few hundred year or so, heck might find a rock from the milky way who knows.

Well It finally has arrived! So fine it Looks, it even works too, surprised since the box was hanging together by a thread, the box is dead now.

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
Good luck RV I own the same machine for three years now an still love it. I have found a good amount of silver an clad. H.H.

GOD BLESS!!!!

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck RV I own the same machine for three years now an still love it. I have found a good amount of silver an clad. H.H.

GOD BLESS!!!!

So far we aren't in love yet,:occasion14: but we are working on it, seems plan isn't working well down here cause the ground has lots and lots of minerals in it, I found a rock I was hoping was iron from space but just minerals of some kind.,but the machine said iron:icon_scratch:. Found some square nails, about 1000 of them.:icon_thumleft:
Anyway still learning the machine.:headbang:

ragingrebel

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2014
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife bought me BH Quicksilver in Dec. for my bday.i primarily prospect..And MDing just gives me something to do when i can't get in the creek.I will say because of the downplay i had low expectations.But have been well pleased with the simplicity and accuracy of the machine.My 8 Yr. old granddaughter can use it with no prob.Found MANY coins and old blackpowder lead.I may upgrand one day for the money I'm tickled. pink.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions