Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
There sure is a 11" dd you can get one at metaldetector.com I liked the platinum very much and I was going to buy the extra coil as you are going to but decided not to because of the low value of the detector and the low resale value. I had bought the detector new and had bought the coil cover and rain cover also making the total cost of 335 plus the coil would have made my cost go to almost 500 so I decided to sell it and buy a better detector.
Now I don't want to say that the platinum wasn't good, I liked it, but the whites mxt (it's substitute) is much better.
HH

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really like my Platinum, but as its my first detector, I can't directly compare it to anytrhing except what I see on youtube vids.
I think its a fine unit and I do intend to get the 11inch DD coil for ?160 or so. I will upgrade next year to a Tecnetics T2 or Omega 8000, or a Fisher F75 or maybe a minelab-not decided yet, but for now,I am completely satisfied with the Platinum.I will probably just keep it as a 2nd unit when I do upgrade.
What are your experiences with the BH Platinum?

OP
OP
N

ncholedigger

Jul 17, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience with the platinum has been excellent !!!! The ID is right on every time. I had a hard time trusting what the ID was telling me and did a lot of hopeful digging only to be shown up by the platinum. I think the damn thing laughed at me a couple of times. Once I trusted this ID machine, I cut down on my digging and enjoyed land fishing a lot more.

Now I think I'm going to upgrade to the 11" DD coil in the near future. Going to try more relic hunting.

Now, everyone post on here your opinion of the BH Platinum and your experiences with this machine !!!

OP
OP
N

ncholedigger

Jul 17, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, just finally got around to the computer. Two days ago, a friend and I did a little detecting at a local library.

Every time the platinum gave a consent numeric id, I was digging silver. I was even telling my friend what I was going to dig, before I dug.

At one point, I was getting a dime signal, but a trash signal kept coming in as I swept to the left. I told my friend that I was hitting on a dime, but I had to dig the trash up first. The pinpointer kept going to the trash. I dug about 5 inches, and pulled up part of a can, afterwards, I pulled up a dime that was within 1 inch to the right of the can.

Awesome evening with the Platinum !!!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I always thought the platinum to be a great detector. Sometimes I regreat selling mine, but it was that or probably going to sleep with the dog... My wife wouldn't aproove 4 detectros.

mrmrsbenoit

Jan 9, 2013
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a BH discovery 1100 this is my first one and am having a blast... I plain to buy a 10" mag coil for more depth.... do you think it would help. I will prob what a little to save for a higher end detector down the road.

jettyjay

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a BH Platinum a few days ago. I have since ordered a 11DD coil and a Garrett pro pointer. Which has not arrived yet.
I only used the platinum for a few hours and really like it, with the stock coil. Didn't find anything worth mentioning yet, but did notice that the machine will pick up tiny pieces of scrap very deep. Only found one penny in my yard, and lots of flattened old beer cans buried ( I am sure most of them were mine while restoring my old farmhouse) before I moved in.
I had a Bounty hunter "Red Baron" back in the seventies and found a lot of old coins with that heavy clumsy battery hungry machine. And just now after all these years decided to get back into hunting again. I will try out the 11DD and let you guys know what I think of it. HH, JJ

Bevo1986

Feb 18, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum
Discovery 3300
Hello to my fellow Platinum users out there. I was hoping to start a thread just for us because of the lack of overall information for this machine. I have noticed the wealth of information for other machines (just check all the info for the F2!) but we dont seem to have a long standing Guru for this machine. I have found the videos for this machine and noticed that the ground balance portion that was demonstrated was incorrect, at least on the vid I saw. I myself have been using the Plat for just a few weeks having used a Discovery 3300 off and on for the past 8 yrs. The Discovery is a good machine and I did well with it. The Plat is definentally an improvement over that machine. The recovery rate is by far the most dramatic. As Ncholedigger mentioned above I have also found good targets very near trash. If the target locks on in more than one direction but drops out in a third direction I will dig the target. Found a dime at around 4 inches with a crushed part of a can one inch to left and one inch farther down. I have only been able to hunt on three ocasions this year with a total of $1.45 in clad and 1 wheaty all in about 2 hours hunting time. I am still getting an ear for what the machine is trying to tell me so it should only get better. I will post anything I think you may find interesting and hope you do to. Hope this thread stays around so we can all learn together. HH

jettyjay

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garrett pro pointer arrived yesterday, still waiting on the 11 DD coil which should arrive in a few days. I spoke with "Moe" @ Metaldetectors.com where I purchased the machine.
Nice guy, I asked him yesterday if my coil had shipped yet, he said it was going that afternoon. I asked him if he could send it USPS instead of UPS. I have had trouble with UPS recently,skipping my house and reporting that no one was home. But thats another story. Moe, said he would have the coil sent USPS which I appreciated.
I went out to a vacant lot yesterday that once had a old tavern on site. It was a bit cold and very windy so I didn't stay too long. The site was very trashy, after digging up about five old flattened beer cans, a few pieces of scrap and an old kids rusted brass pin ( button ) with a picture of what looked like a amusement ride on it I threw in the towel there. At least for the time being. I will go back there when the 11DD arrives and give it another try. I have been using google earth and talking to the old timers to get some hunting spots.
The idea of a platinum users thread is a good idea, as there is not much out there. Moe told me that only Cabala's and his company (metal detectors.com) have exclusive rights to the platinum. Its easy enough to start a thread or just use this one. As I get used to the machine and maybe find something worth while I will check this thread too. HH ~JJ~

jettyjay

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S. The pro pointer made a world of difference finding my targets. I had a good sounding target real deep, but gave up trying to dig it with a spade trowel. I got my hand down there and it felt like a large metal plate way to big to dig up with a hand spade. I marked the spot and may go back sometime with a shovel. But I am sure its not a treasure chest LOL. ~JJ~

dr.design

Greenie
Jul 2, 2007
Northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lonestar
I had a Bounty Hunter Lonestar. I moved up to the Bounty Hunter Landstar and was very pleased with the results from it. Unfortunately someone stole my truck with the Landstar inside. I am now looking to purchase another metal detector. Any thoughts on what to get trying to move a step or 2 up from the Landstar?

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Newer kid on the block with the platinum. Made the choice after reading ALL the positive feed back and the fantastic price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

ncholedigger

Jul 17, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Have been off the net for a while. Just sold a Garrett 350 that did not come close to performing as good as the Platinum.
Who has upgraded the Platinum to the DD coil? I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but want some feed back before I spend the money.
It appears that most of you are happy with the Platinum just as I am, Now What have you found? Let me know!!!
Thanks and look forward to your post.
NCholedigger

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
just received my 11dd coil for my Platinum, noticed one of the top veins was cracked and seperated. Damn, but not broken through. Pushed it back in place and decided to use it anyway. All I can say is Fantastic. So much better than the stock coil. So I will touch a hot soldering iron to the plastic so it stays in place and be on my way.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just received my 11dd coil for my Platinum, noticed one of the top veins was cracked and seperated. Damn, but not broken through. Pushed it back in place and decided to use it anyway. All I can say is Fantastic. So much better than the stock coil. So I will touch a hot soldering iron to the plastic so it stays in place and be on my way.

How do u like the platinum all in all looks pretty darn nice in my opinion

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice,I think that's the 1 that will eventually find its way to my arsenal lol some know I do like collecting detectors,& my personal goal would b one from each brand

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread