Ghost Signals

Desert Hunter

Aug 3, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum, BH Sharp Shooter II, Garett Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New to this forum and have a question on what I call ghost signals. You get a hit, sweep the area again and it is gone.Using a BH Platinum, using 7 on sens and notching out every thing but nickel, penny, dime and quarter. Also have same problem with my BH Sharp Shooter II. Ground balance according to the manual . Thoughts ????

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Those type of glitches are mostly normal. I have seen that the main reason of them is the discrimination and the notch.... if you swap over a non wanted item fast and than swap again (most likely in a slower motion since you are searching for the second beep) the detector didn't notch out the item in the first swap and so on the second it does and you loose your signal. I had that happen with my platinum when I set the disc too high or used the notch. If you want to confirm that there is a metal object down there it's easy, just push the PinPoint button (the detector goes in all metal mode) and search for the object, most likely is there where the signal dissapeared, and if you dig it up, most likely is something you had discriminated or notched.

When I had the platinum I just used discrimination on iron, and no notch on anything, that is why you have tones and a screen, learn what to hear and what not to and with the help of the screen you will know what to dig. I usually dig every repeatable signal.
HH

ncholedigger

Jul 17, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Platinum and I also have had the same problem.... So I thought. If you don't notch out anything, you will see the detector jump around. This is caused by trash !! Your detector may read it as a dime, then jump down to pull tab. It's a pull tab !!! Don't dig. Just trust the Platinum. Only dig if it keeps showing you the same reading every time you go over it repeatedly. I coin shoot a lot by notching out everything but nickel, dime, quarter and do very well. Remember, trust the detector.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not digging pull tabs stops you from finding 90% of the gold rings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread