Fisher 11" DD on BH 3300...again!

Astromic

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,
It seems that i can't find any solid clue or an approved success test of using fisher's DD 11" coil on the bounty hunter discovery 3300, some say it might work, and other says it couldn't !!.. And unfortunately i only find article about people asking the same question without concrete answers!, the thing is I live in the middle east now, and could not just get the DD coil to see if it "might" work or not, the other thing is i couldn't send the unit for calibration for the new coil(if i got it and discovered that it needs to), due to some shipping regulations here :icon_scratch:. So, does any one tested it for real and witness a stable operation and deeper detection than the standard 8"? Does it improves the pinpointing detection also, or it will work only in AM mode? Does it needs re-calibration for the device or it is plug and play coil?
I know the questions sound stupid enough as i really have no idea about this, and you guys here are my only hope in this issue.
I use it only for meteorite hunting at the Sahara desert BTW..
Thanks'

Mike

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The 11 inch DD originally developed for the Fisher F2/F4 with the push-on connector is compatible with the 3300. No recalibration is required.

11 inch DD searchcoils for other Fishers will not work, nor will the searchcoils for the current F2/F4 which have the screw-on connector.

In general, you can expect greater depth than with the 8 inch searchcoil. Pinpointing is more accurate but only if you cross the target in both compass directions (EW and also NS), the technique is different from using a concentric searchcoil.

For meteorite hunting, search in all metals mode with the ground manually balanced, retune frequently to cancel drift, and dig everything you hear.

Meteorite hunting has a lot in common with gold prospecting. The biggest difference is how you use a magnet during the process of recovery. Our online book "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector" [see the Teknetics and Fisher websites] is of course about gold, but there's good information in there on how to use a metal detector in all metals mode and even a little bit on meteorites.

The 3300 is a good machine in its price range. Whatever it is in life, we start with where we are and what we have or can afford to get with what we have. However you do need to know that our Teknetics T2SE is a lot hotter on meteorites than the 3300. If you decide that searching for meteorites is a good business proposition and not just a hobby, you should probably get a Tek T2SE which is our best meteorite machine.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
A

Astromic

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
The 11 inch DD originally developed for the Fisher F2/F4 with the push-on connector is compatible with the 3300. No recalibration is required.

11 inch DD searchcoils for other Fishers will not work, nor will the searchcoils for the current F2/F4 which have the screw-on connector.

In general, you can expect greater depth than with the 8 inch searchcoil. Pinpointing is more accurate but only if you cross the target in both compass directions (EW and also NS), the technique is different from using a concentric searchcoil.

For meteorite hunting, search in all metals mode with the ground manually balanced, retune frequently to cancel drift, and dig everything you hear.

Meteorite hunting has a lot in common with gold prospecting. The biggest difference is how you use a magnet during the process of recovery. Our online book "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector" [see the Teknetics and Fisher websites] is of course about gold, but there's good information in there on how to use a metal detector in all metals mode and even a little bit on meteorites.

The 3300 is a good machine in its price range. Whatever it is in life, we start with where we are and what we have or can afford to get with what we have. However you do need to know that our Teknetics T2SE is a lot hotter on meteorites than the 3300. If you decide that searching for meteorites is a good business proposition and not just a hobby, you should probably get a Tek T2SE which is our best meteorite machine.

--Dave J.

Thank you Dave, your reply is so much appreciated, now i can get it with confidence. I see that there are more than one model for this coil, does the old push-on model has a part number?
My hunt actually was held by just a magnet on a stick before i got the BH, because metal detectors are generally forbidden here and needs more than one permit to take to the fields, i guess they want to limit the acts of illegal bounty hunting and gold prospecting. But it's "okay" to hunt for meteorites as long as it's far from ancient site or gold mines, we just hope they don't forbid it soon also. So the devices is very rare or nearly impossible to get it, I guess i was lucky enough to find it from a local Radio Shack store, and they don't bring it anymore. The Teknetics T2SE is my dream detector, but with such laws i will have to stick with the 3300 until i have a bit of luck again and bring it. My future plans for now is to buy a good PI kit such as Gary's or Surf-PI and build the thing by myself. I'm still doing some research for the best kit available now, though..

Mike

Ed in SoDak

Jan 15, 2006
I did a lot of testing about 10 years ago. Dave is correct about using a no-motion all-metal mode. Even a simple and easily-built BFO detector design can find most types of meteorites and coils are easy to construct for a BFO compared to other types. Go to my website to see what I learned. Shooting Stars - Metal Detecting for Meteorites My reports concerning the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger are probably close to what you can expect from your 3300. Unfortunately, it was not the best choice for a "meteorite machine" for hunting stonys or low-iron types, but it did have predictable responses and was sensitive to iron meteorites like any "all-metal" detector would be. You might try the old style 10" coil, it will give better depth than the 8", is more commonly found used and at a lower-cost than the 11" DD version. However, you're sure to like the DD coil if you can get one! Good luck! -Ed

OP
OP
A

Astromic

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I did a lot of testing about 10 years ago. Dave is correct about using a no-motion all-metal mode. Even a simple and easily-built BFO detector design can find most types of meteorites and coils are easy to construct for a BFO compared to other types. Go to my website to see what I learned. Shooting Stars - Metal Detecting for Meteorites My reports concerning the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger are probably close to what you can expect from your 3300. Unfortunately, it was not the best choice for a "meteorite machine" for hunting stonys or low-iron types, but it did have predictable responses and was sensitive to iron meteorites like any "all-metal" detector would be. You might try the old style 10" coil, it will give better depth than the 8", is more commonly found used and at a lower-cost than the 11" DD version. However, you're sure to like the DD coil if you can get one! Good luck! -Ed

Thanks' for your feedback Ed, I've checked into your website, alot of good material in there, thumbs up.. I though about the 10" but found that from many reviews that it only gives noticeable "wider" scan but unfortunately very slight depth increment. I didn't try it out, yet I lean on getting one anyway and put it out in the test myself. did you have the chance to try out the 10"?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread