Bounty Hunter Platinum Users Thread

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well it was pretty nice out today and some more snow melted so my son got all geared up with his goodies and we went out to test the unit out.
One thing I am curious about is I bought a BHP but the unit says T Omega 6000 and so does the manual. Odd thing is it has 4 tones, and auto ground grab so I am a bit confused. Maybe it is a cross child of the two??!!??!! Whatever the case, we like it and had some fun in the yard today. Most of the ground was still a bit frozen but we played a bit in the front yard and we got a dime, 5 pennies, 2 nails and a washer. Not too bad for first time with the device.

View attachment 1416695 :metaldetector: :hello2:

We got the ground grab down and played with discrimination and tried to notch in a few items and played with the menus and lowered sensitivity... this was the biggest change that we noticed. My boy had an ear to ear smile and it was a blast. I look forward to spring and going out with him and maybe others to have good time and see what we can find.

So my dilemma... I like the Fisher F75 and the Tek F2 but also like the Whites MX sport and I am not sure what to buy. I need a machine with a good display as I can't read the small menu's with out glasses. Ex: I can't read the AT pro menu at all. Too small. They are factored out because of that and I didn't like the feel of the machine. I should go back and re-look the Fisher F44 as that was my original starter unit to look at but they didn't have one out.
The 3 units I like are from 5 to 6 to 8 hondo so a bit of $$$ separates them. My other thought is to get a Frat bro machine and a multi coil pack so my son and I can swap coils so we don't have to buy multiple one each. Oh me... what to do... so many choices. Well I will go browsing again but if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. Thanks and enjoy!

Pensfan71

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
BH Platnium...Dad had a Whites Coin Master in the 80's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got GG to work 2 times out of about 15 tries! You are better than I at it. Went out today and found more junk,only one park nearby and MD has some laws for Detecting. GF has Monday off so I might go to that park down the road. Maybe with all the scrap I find I can make enough money to buy a Garrett Pinpointer:dontknow:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got GG to work 2 times out of about 15 tries! You are better than I at it. Went out today and found more junk,only one park nearby and MD has some laws for Detecting. GF has Monday off so I might go to that park down the road. Maybe with all the scrap I find I can make enough money to buy a Garrett Pinpointer:dontknow:

Can you put up a pic of the face of your machine & manual cover? Curious if it is the same as mine. Does your manual say you can do auto and manual GG?
This thread had both pumping and hovering listed for GG'ing. What method are you using?

Have you tried laying out objects on the ground to help learn the menu? EX: Nail, penny, nickle, dime & quarter? I can share the few things we have learned so far but we are def not experts.... yet!

We got a free pinpointer and it did pretty good yesterday. It was from First Texas and helped my son fine all the items in the holes and in the dirt. I would imagine the Garret is like night and day but for free the unit we have is good to get us started.

Off to find the Staff of Ra... ancient maps we have show it to be in our neighbors yard! Wish us luck!:icon_thumleft:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pensfan71 - Good name change! Have you been out anymore with your unit? Curious how it is working for you now. Also wondered if yours had a BH face plate or a Tek one.

My face plate: View attachment 1419599

Do you have 2 headphone jacks? I only have 1.

mole248

Feb 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been using platinum about 4 years now & only time the numbers got jumpy was area was full of trash;nails,pull tabs etc.Barb wire can really set it off.Only other times it went screwy was coil wire somehow backed out of connector on back of controll unit.Always make sure it's in all the way.If you can't get straightened out, maybe contact First Texas about getting detector checked out.Hope you don't give up , can be a really great hobby.

Pensfan71

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pensfan71 - Good name change! Have you been out anymore with your unit? Curious how it is working for you now. Also wondered if yours had a BH face plate or a Tek one.

My face plate: View attachment 1419599

Do you have 2 headphone jacks? I only have 1.

No I haven't, I got sick after the last time I was out. We had 6 trees take down last week which means I have a lot of firewood to split and stack. I will try in the next few weeks to get out some more.
Only one headphone jack,I assume its BH Faceplate. Th weather has been well you all know,weird so as soon as I"m done with firewood I"lll try to find more than trash. I had to change my name so the Pens are my fav. team i used that. I hope you guys get out and find some loot. I"ll update you later.

Pensfan71

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been using platinum about 4 years now & only time the numbers got jumpy was area was full of trash;nails,pull tabs etc.Barb wire can really set it off.Only other times it went screwy was coil wire somehow backed out of connector on back of controll unit.Always make sure it's in all the way.If you can't get straightened out, maybe contact First Texas about getting detector checked out.Hope you don't give up , can be a really great hobby.
I will not give up. Just havent been able to get out lately.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Pensfan71, the Ground balance process is as follows: Turn the detector on, use the selector on the right and pick all metal mode. Hold the detector off the ground about 2 feet with the coil parallel to the ground. Push and HOLD the Pinpoint button and you will see a number appear. continue to hold the button in and lower the coil to within 2 " off the ground and you will see the 2 digit number start to change and settle in. Hold the detector off the ground 2" while continuing to hold the button and you will see the number settle in and then hear a slight beep, beep, beep. release the pinpoint button and your detector is ground balanced.

Switch back to Discrimination mode and change your settings to eliminate iron and foil using the discrimination selector on the left and the + button.

The Platinum takes well to round objects and like all Bounty Hunter models and most detectors, damp rotted aluminum and severely rusted iron will ring up on the higher end of the scale. If you find a target and the numbers are jumpy, it is the computer in the detector trying to process what is in the ground and it is having a hard time figuring out exactly what it is.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've gotta say, the BHPt is a coin machine for sure. Since I picked up the used Platinum, I've managed to score nearly a dozen more clad coins from my 1910 yard, several of them are wheaties. My neighbors property (about 12 feet over the property line, finally yielded a 1960 Rosie. A recent hunt at my buddies house gave up a 57 quarter, a 37 Merc, and a 1905 Indian Head Penny and some other clad.

Yesterday, I spent some time at my sisters house. It shows up on an 1867 map of her area. My nieces and nephews and I pulled a bunch of car parts and I scored a bunch of clad. 1 wheat penny and a 1927 Mercury.

I'm loving the Platinum!

Tampapi

Apr 10, 2015
Holiday Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, looks like an old thread but I will post anyway. Just picked up a Platinum for a great price. My first Bounty Hunter but seems to work good on the backyard test.

sssmiller

Mar 16, 2016
Ogden Utah, from Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/ AT Pro Pointer/ BH Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my platinum pro out to a hunt a yard nearby with a veteran detectorist. The yard was small. My section about 6-8 feet by about 15 feet. Trashy isn't even close to how this yard was. Tones going crazy. I ran no discrimination and just adjusted sensitivity between 5 to 9. I found 3 wheaties, a bunch of memerial pennies, a 1952 nickel and 2 1930s dimes. I pulled only 12 pieces of trash. All this in less than an hour! All the wheaties were about 5 inches deep and 2 of the had a nail within 2 inches of the coin. I couldn't pinpoint the wheaties, but the recovery tones were so fast I just located them by swinging in normal mode.
This is the 2 time I took this detector out of my yard and I have about 4 maybe 5 hours of experience with it. This is my first detector also. IMG_20180425_173122_01.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread