Bounty Hunter Platinum Users Thread

KP63

Nov 25, 2013
Been out for several short hunts. Found lots of clad and other stuff none to exciting. The 11" coil does cover a lot of ground and is taking me some time getting used to. Found a jar lid 9" down in a gravel area along an old canal that rang as a dime. Had a couple fishermen that came to watch me dig,they both where surprised that I would dig that deep for a lid. I told them you never know and if I went home without knowing it would bug me till I got back.

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Added the f5 DD coil to my Platinum today. Air testing didn't seem to be any better than the stock coil. Took it out in the yard and it was falsing/erratic quite a bit. Will have to get out and field test it this weekend. Hoping I didn't waste the money but other's reviews hold promise. Maybe mine has issues?

KP63

Nov 25, 2013
Bought my platinum with 11" dd coil and have not used the stock 8" yet. My question is can any one run their md at a higher than 7 sens. ? Mine gets a lot of false hits any where I try to turn up the sens. Is this just the dd coil or am I missing something.

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
I have been using stock coil and yes have same problem.There have only been a couple of times that I could use setting 7 or higher most of the time I use 6 as it keeps down the chatter.If I remember right it seemed like the battery had gotten weak when I was able to use higher setting.I am not sure if battery has anything to do with it.I only have a couple of places that I have been hunting regularly and they are loaded with power lines so always figured that was the cause.Not sure if I helped answer your question.happy hunting

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys iam looking for a new detector now and the more i look at it the more the platinum seems to be a good bang for the buck.But as usual i have had people tell me its not a good detector.Because its a bh.If i get one i think i will go with the 11" coil.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys iam looking for a new detector now and the more i look at it the more the platinum seems to be a good bang for the buck.But as usual i have had people tell me its not a good detector.Because its a bh.If i get one i think i will go with the 11" coil.

The Eurotek Pro is the newest inexpensive hottest detector out there right now.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve i know that but i think i can get more out of a bh platinum.But if the eurotek pro can do more let me know.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody have the platinum with the 11" coil?And if so how well do you like it.

Last edited:

Mduece

Jun 14, 2014
South West NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a platinum last fall as my first detector. Loved it and found for the money it had a lot of features. Found plenty if coins and an old 1700's flat button. I loved it's simplicity to use and learn. I just upgraded to an AT Pro. One thing I really like about the BH is 4 tones. AT Pro only has three so have to pay more attention to screen. I'm a newbie still but I would recommend the platinum to anyone looking for features and performance for pretty cheap money compared to others.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Eurotek Pro is the newest inexpensive hottest detector out there right now.

At half the price, I'd take the Eurotek Pro.

I have a Gamma, I'd spend a little more and get an F70.

Jmho

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fixed income being retired and limited funds means i have to go with best bang for the buck right now.I was looking for something thats a little more than my delta 4000.I would jump on it if i could get a f70 at a good price.But the price for the platinum with the 11" coil seems good.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fixed income being retired and limited funds means i have to go with best bang for the buck right now.I was looking for something thats a little more than my delta 4000.I would jump on it if i could get a f70 at a good price.But the price for the platinum with the 11" coil seems good.

I do understand. Wish there was a dealer nearby or club where you could get your hands on some used ones.

I recently got a refurb from Fisher, call them and see what they have in stock. BH, Fisher, Teknetics same company now. My refurb F75Ltd looks new, came with a year warranty instead of the standard five years.

Give them a call Monday, see what BH or others they have, inventory changes often.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some how iam sure i will find something.But i have to remind myself just like i hunt patience.

ncholedigger

Jul 17, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a Platinum for over two years now. My biggest problem was trusting the detector. Once I started to trust what it was telling me, I've not dug up the junk and have enjoyed metal detecting a lot more.

I even bought a Garrett Ace 350, thinking I was stepping up in the world. That was a mistake!! The 350 did not discriminate no ways as good as the Platinum. Sold the 350 after two months.

I've done a lot of detecting with other people who have never even heard of the Platinum and get weird looks when I bring it out, but by the end of the day, everyone is impressed.
The only machine I have thought about stepping up to is the Minelab Excal II for saltwater detecting. The Platinum does not like the wet sand. I was very successful last week in the dry sand. Just had to ground balance it quite a few times. Found a lot of clad and a very nice knife that was a recent drop. Knife sells for $50 online.

I hunt a lot with a friend who has Tesero detectors. I put my Platinum up beside his all the time and come out on top.

Over all the Platinum is a lot of machine for the money !!!

KP63

Nov 25, 2013
Put the stock 8" coil on for the first time to try it out.
Pros
Easier pinpoint
Less false indications
Lighter

Cons
Not nearly as deep
Target seperation not as good. But only slightly.
Less coverage. In large search areas.

KP63

Nov 25, 2013
With my 11" dd coil back on went out on three occasions to a large park/ campground and found some clad, then got a zinc/dime hit. Having just dug two dimes stacked together I dug this signal to find a zinc and copper penny together. I am becoming more and more impressed with this machine. A few weeks ago I got a zinc nickel quarter hit in the same spot. Even though the signal would not lock in I dug it anyway. Flipped the plug and there was a quarter with two nickels and a penny on top. My 7 year old nephew was there and after that was upset when we got only one coin at a time. I still have only two silver dimes and a small silver ring. But plenty of clad and other stuff of little value but this machine will talk to you once u learn the language.

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm finding a potential issue with my Platinum. If there's a deep object of iron (say 12" plus down), my detector will read a coin in the high 80's and 90's, which I expect. But the thing that throws me is that when I pinpoint such objects with the detector, the depth will read 2-3" down. So, naturally, I'm thinking something near the surface and easily dug up. Nope; I find myself digging 12" down before finding the object.

Why is the pinpointer on the Platinum reading 2-3" when the object is 12" plus down?

Red Snapper

Jul 9, 2013
MA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Fisher pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the target end up being rather large? That seems to be what happens in most cases. Larger object seem to read closer to the surface.

KP63

Nov 25, 2013
Alchemist
What depth does the object read while not pinpointing?
I'm not sure I've ever looked at depth while pinpointing. I always check the initial signal. I will try to remember. To look in pinpoint to see if I get the same results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread