Tracker IV

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M looking to purchase my first MD and want to spend less than $200. I'm wondering what people think of this model? Anything helps!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

I picked up a Tracker IV from HobbyLobby. It's about $110 and then use their 40% off one item coupon they post from time to time; looks like it's there now. So $70 is a great price imho.

It's a good detector, it will teach you a lot of how detectors work which means a lot if you upgrade.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you check out the Quick Draw II and other models under $200, you'll find a lot of helpful features that will really help you get into the swing of things. Meanwhile, the Tracker IV works well, but, it is pretty bare-bones.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was my first detector and damned good one to start with. Go for it.

Exactly.

Get the IV cheap like I did ($70 new after coupon), use it this summer and see if you get discouraged before sinking big bucks into the hobby. I still use the detector around shallow creeks in the summer.

I will acknowledge for $200 there are other detectors out there, but that topic has been beat to death on TreasureNet too many times. Ford or Chevrolet all over again.

DigDug1

Jan 16, 2014
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Teknetiics Eurotek Pro , Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Tracker IV and it is a good starter detector. I would like to say this though, spend $219 and get the Teknetics Eurotek Pro. The ETP kills the BH Tracker IV by a long shot. It is an easy detector to use and it is much deeper than the BH. Just my opinion.

mcockrell

Greenie
Apr 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my advice would be to search on craigslist or your local pawn shops. I picked up a teknetics delta 4000 and a bounty hunter tracker iv both for less than $200.

the IV is a great little unit to start. but if you think you will really like this hobby I would suggest starting with something with a digital screen and a depth gauge.

if you search around there are quite a few MDs for around the $200 mark that have notch features, digital display that shows you the VDI numbers (this is the number one thing that has helped me). if you want to go cheap just to give it a shot and you can find this unit pretty cheap then certainly pick it up. you will spend a lot of time digging junk but its a really great unit. before I got a pin pointer I even used this unit as a sort of make shift pin pointer because its light and its really good at telling where the object is just by sweeping over.

im sure if you are brand new that this unit will provide you with hours of fun and hours of digging. but if you really get into it and start having fun then it wont be long at all before you will want to upgrade to something that provides a little more information. so if you are just buying one to tinker around with the kids or have something to do on the weekends, you will be very happy with this. if you think you might be in this hobby for the long haul and your budget is $200 then I would definitely try to get something a little bit better to start off that you can keep for a while like the garrett ace 250 or the fisher f2 or similar. they have lots more features that save lots of time and lots of digging.

all that being said, I gave the IV that I bought to my 12 year old and he loves it. he will stay outside for hours and come back with 100 items he found.

oh and by the way, although this model is pretty darn good at identifying the approximate location of the object, since it has no depth feature and no pin point feature you will definitely want to invest in a hand held pin pointer. everyone has their own opinions on which ones are junk and which ones are must haves. but if you are on a budget like most of us and don't have the money to buy the most expensive thing out there, harbor freight has a CenTech model that's around $16 I think. it works pretty well out of the box and it will help you save a lot of time by being able to pinpoint the exactly location of the object. there are lots of mods you can do to it to make it better that require very little money and very little skill (I wrote one myself in the The Tool Shed forum).

let us know what you picked and how you like it!

OP
OP
newtector

newtector

Apr 19, 2014
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
I will, I checked out the deal at hobby lobby, tracker IV for. $76 including shipping.....wife said it's too expensive.....women, sigh

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will, I checked out the deal at hobby lobby, tracker IV for. $76 including shipping.....wife said it's too expensive.....women, sigh

Good luck. Been there, done that.

Harbor Freight has six and nine function detectors, with coupon she might approve. I gave a 9 function one away for Christmas, still works but I've heard bad things too about then.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck. Been there, done that.

Harbor Freight has six and nine function detectors, with coupon she might approve. I gave a 9 function one away for Christmas, still works but I've heard bad things too about then.

That 9 function Harbor Freight detector is just as deep as the tracker 4 and in my opinion works better. It even has a built in pin-pointer, construction is not as good as the Tracker 4 though.

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That 9 function Harbor Freight detector is just as deep as the tracker 4 and in my opinion works better. It even has a built in pin-pointer, construction is not as good as the Tracker 4 though.

Bought 6 of these at Christmas for the grandsons. They are well worth the money and function as advertised. In fact I will be buying another 1 as my Back-up locator.

OP
OP
newtector

newtector

Apr 19, 2014
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Good to know. Anyone have tips from your experience with this MD?

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the money it is good detector .I got one from my kids it feb. I only hunt maybe once or twice a month in tot lots I use the 4" coil works good.

stephen farkas

Sep 2, 2013
It a good detector I use the Tracker IV and this year alone I already found a big gold ring and a good amount of silver jewelry. That's only from this year.

stephen farkas

Sep 2, 2013
For tips dig anything that has a solid high or low tone. And you'll learn what is a better hit once you get use to it. Stick with the 8 inch coil to me that's the best one. The 4" doesn't go as deep and the 10" is very hard to pinpoint.

OP
OP
newtector

newtector

Apr 19, 2014
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Ordered my tracker IV last nite!!!

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on ordering. After a while, if you really enjoy the hobby, and you're like everyone else, you'll upgrade and the Tracker IV is a good machine to have around for your wife to use or a friend who wants to join in the fun. Believe me, if you find a few gold rings or chains, you wife will want to join the fun. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread