May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey all, just picked up a tracker IV. I used it on the beach one time thus far and it was a blast. Just saying hello to the other bounty hunter MD people here. I post this in the beach section but wanted to say hi here as well:

'Just picked up a tracker IV and took it out to the beaches near my house (southern NC - kure, carolina, wrightsville, etc.). Had a blast. In about an hour I found $1.15 in nickels/dimes, some metal wires, and about 20 bottle caps. I took my son, who is 3, and we had fun just walking the beach and finding what he calls 'treasure' haha. Anyway just wanted to say hello. The bounty hunter that I have was only $80 on amazon and seems to do an awesome job on the beach. It was a blast. I set it to all metal, and put the sensitivity on 3 o clock because at first i was getting some false negatives in the wetsand but this setting stopped that in a second. fun little detector. If anyone has advice for cleaning the coil after beach use, let me know. its kinda sandy and I brushed it off the best I could but living here, I know salt and sand destroy everything."

I also just ordered a harbour freight pinpointer to help a bit. I noticed it took me a few mins to sift through sand with my little shovel.

KP63

Nov 25, 2013
If u have an old tennis or racquet ball racquet at home use it as a sieve. Or even a shallow scoop. It's not perfect but coins rings an most junk will not drop through. Scoop the sand pour it on the net lift up an viola.

KP63

Nov 25, 2013
As for the coil. If u r using the stock 8" buy a frisbee from the dollar store. Flip it over and u have a cool cover u can attach it with 2-3 zip ties or just slide it along with the coil. Keeps your coil in contact with the ground at all times. I know I sound like a cheapskate but I'm looking for money not trying to spend it. Good luck.

ncholedigger

Jul 17, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The BH Tracker IV is sold in Hobby Lobbys' everywhere. Go online and register with them and they will email you a 40% off one item coupon each week. Take it to Hobby Lobby and walk out with a tracker IV for about $65. Awesome way for someone to try out metal detecting with out breaking the bank. Have had by Tracker IV for years. Love it on the dry sand.

crnrst1

Aug 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought bounty hunter was junk but i bought one from hobby lobby for 62 bucks. I have a writes 4900, a minelab 30. Sold a Fisher 1266x and another white s so have tried quite a few over 25 years. I am stunned at how much i like it! It is so light. I can pinpoint quite well with it. It goes down 3 to 4 inches in soggy soil which my white won't do. It never falses. It loves quarters and pennies. Bullet shells and tonight i found a junk ring with it. About 8 bucks already. First set of batteries died after 8 hours but not alkaline. Doesn't find some often but now trying disc set at nickels and up and starting to.

Probably will not find old stuff but for clad it is my new favorite!

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can some one post the limitations of this MD, I have used mine twice and enjoy the overall function, I would like to learn how to use it better, guessing trial and error is that answer, but some settings that work for you would be great !

All the best Bo

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can some one post the limitations of this MD, I have used mine twice and enjoy the overall function, I would like to learn how to use it better, guessing trial and error is that answer, but some settings that work for you would be great !

All the best Bo

It's a simple beep and dig detector. It's the FTP answer to the Tesoro Silver uMax (or vice versa). Sensitivity knob, Disc knob, Disc/AM switch. You can try to use the useless meter if you like. But these detectors rely more on sound, and you need to learn that a broken sound has a higher chance of being junk, low good sound a higher chance for nickels, and high good unbroken tone a higher chance of silver. I would set the sensitivity at around 2 o'clock (not too high to get EMI) and not disc too much. Use disc or tone mode. Learning the sound of metals is this detectors forte. It's not going to do much visually, hence it's $109 price.

There's something else I'm not sure of, and maybe "woof" can clarify. The Hobby Lobby ad says it has Ground Grab. The manual gives a "auto ground track" illusion for salt and black soils. For that price, I think it may be just a preset ground balance setting like the spec chart says.

Last edited:

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Phantsman, I worked with it last night as directed and am learning the sounds I have found some coins and I hear the funky low broken tone of aluminum. I am having the best time learning this new to me hobby!, I got an invitation to go hunt an old place in PA. and I want to be as ready as I can. any more tips? Big Thanks again !

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just remember that the good strong sounds are tuned to coin sized objects. A gold ring can give a broken sound as well, depending on how it lies. Try it with a wedding band (yours, dads, etc.) and you will see what I mean. Hit it at different angles.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I have kept my Tracker IV and upgraded it for use around the Great Salt Lake that I live by, and "Yes" I'm that guy with a $65 dollar detector and a $125 dollar NEL Hunter coil on it,,,,It really works well on the detector and I do believe the Ground track works too. The NEL coil gives me a solid 2-3 extra inches of depth, and I can run the thing full with no over load.
Its sounds funny but the crazy thing will go places, and work better around high salt, then my ATP or my Fisher and my friends other high end detectors. The detector is both digital and anolog, I think this is why it works so well around salt water, and I bet you tweak the thing either way and it wouldn't work at all, so I hope they never upgrade it.

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the money the IV is hard to beat. Little hunt to day first one in months. 20 minutes at tot lot 25 pennies with one a 1945d wheatie. I use the 4" coil

jim beam

Greenie
Mar 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy, I also use the IV and it seem to be a decent detector.
I got lucky and scored some extra coils at a yard sale for a buck each.
Invested in a pinpointer.
Their a ranch house that close to a hundred and fifty yrs old.
So far I have found some old henges, old medicen bottles, half of a old six shooter.
Few coins, but they wasnt all that old.
Now, that warmer weather near I will spend more time & see what else is out there.
Thought of up grading, though it doesnt really seem to be such a big hurry now.
I also use a head set with my IV, can catch various sounds easier now.

Jim

docholliday59

Greenie
Jun 29, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter pioneer 101 Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. Bounty Hunter pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone have any opinions on the new Bounty hunter land ranger pro? I bought one last year thinking I was getting a good detector but am having mixed feelings so far.Maybe I just need to learn how to use this machine.....

robs

Sep 20, 2014
Cormorant, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Classic, Tesoro silver umax, Fisher F2, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a LRP. Mine seems to be kinda of a finicky machine. Have to run it down at 6 or 7 on the sensitivity. And it seems to want to sound off at time at the end of the swing once in a while. Something my f2 does not do. I have not used it much, but I think it will be a good machine after I get more use to it.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run my LRP at the default settings. If I get a NEL coil, I'll have more confidence to increase sensitivity. It may be that skinny wire on the stock coils don't handle the power well that the LRP wants to exert.

I have to buy a pad for the PP button to stick on it. It just doesn't stay engaged no matter how your thumb rests on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions