Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what your upgrading from, but the 505 is kind of old hat. If you need GB, then it would be better than the Ace. If not, you may consider the Quick Draw Pro over the Ace. It has the numeric display, volume control, a better depth indicator and VCO pinpointing over the Ace for the same price.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the same money you can get a Teknetics Delta 4000 or a Fisher F2 and get about 4-5 inches more depth over the 505.

I own 3 BH machines, a Tracker IV, a 202 and the best being a RS Land Star clone with manual ground balance. They're all decent machines for what they're designed to do. They all KILL the clad and they will find silver if it's there to be found, as long as it's not too deep.

Since upgrading and knowing what I know now, I'll never go back to the older style BH machines. Don't get me wrong, they'll will find treasure and were very good to me but you'll never get the depth you will with a Tek or a Fisher for the same money, if not less. A Fisher F2 is about 200 bucks and is rated to hit a US quarter at 9". The BH's will only do that once in a great while despite the claims. The average depth of a US quarter for the 505 is around 4-5 inches. There are many nice treasures below that level.

As much as I have loved my Bounty Hunter's, I can't recommend them for anyone above the beginner/entry level stage who is really serious about this hobby and intends to stay in it for the long haul. I kinda' hate to even say it given the time and effort I put forth using them but it's true.

The BH pro series are much higher performing machines and the prices are very reasonable. I totally agree with the above post by Phantasm. Before you buy, I would highly recommend doing some side by side comparisons on sites such as metaldetector.com. I would also recommend that you read lots of user reviews and consider a more advanced and better performing machine for the same cost as the 505 and maybe even less. You could also talk to more people and get more input from those who have used the 505 against other units.

I also wouldn't rule out a lightly used machine from Craigslist (where I got ALL of my detectors), Ebay, or a dealer. A better machine for the same money will give you a much better and more rewarding hunting experience. A member here told me that when I first started and said that "better machines find more treasure". He was right.

I only wish I had really understood this before buying 3 different BH machines and then upgrading to a much better performing unit. But, we live and learn right?? They also taught me a great deal and I had fun all along so I'm not complaining at all.

I found lots of cool stuff with my BH units but always felt in my gut that I was passing right over good targets. After upgrading I verified this fact. All of my old spots are like new spots and have been giving up stuff my BH machines missed for months.

Good luck in whatever you choose. I hope you get a machine that's right for you and the type of hunting you do. I just don't want you to spend good money on a machine and then feel like you're missing good targets and wanting to upgrade in a month like I did. It's not a good feeling. It took me 4 tries to get something I really like that doesn't miss what I'm after. I intend to get something even better in the spring but for now I'm really happy with what I'm swinging.

Good luck and HH.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a link to metaldetector.com that compares the 505 and the Fisher F2 which costs about 200 bucks:

Fisher F2 vs Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

Note the depth alone.

You can compare many different machines at this site side by side in many categories (including price). There are many user reviews that I found to be very helpful. I highly recommend it. It really helped me to narrow down my upgrade choices in my price range so I knew what to get when the right deal came along.

And remember, if you're partial to the Bounty Hunter Brand, BH, Fisher and Teknetics are all made in the USA by First Texas Products. It's one big happy family. Nothin' wrong with giving the cousins a go. I'm definitely glad that I did.

Good luck.

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look into getting a good used detector for a better upgrade, just make sure it works when buying it and if you get a whites detector most are built like a tank and they don't charge a lot for repairs if any are ever needed. One big plus with whites are they are made here in the states which makes getting them repaired a little easier, keep an eye open at some pawn shops as they don't give someone much for them and you can deal on the price. I get dimes at 10"+ with some that have been at 12" a few times and picked up a second one used at a very good price from the pawn shop.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a link to metaldetector.com that compares the 505 and the Fisher F2 which costs about 200 bucks:

Fisher F2 vs Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

Note the depth alone.

You can compare many different machines at this site side by side in many categories (including price). There are many user reviews that I found to be very helpful. I highly recommend it. It really helped me to narrow down my upgrade choices in my price range so I knew what to get when the right deal came along.

And remember, if you're partial to the Bounty Hunter Brand, BH, Fisher and Teknetics are all made in the USA by First Texas Products. It's one big happy family. Nothin' wrong with giving the cousins a go. I'm definitely glad that I did.

Good luck.

That site is good in most part, but you have to be careful of the "max depth on a quarter" animation. Many push their favorites with unheard depth readings. The review under the F2 by Dan L of Tennessee is me. I try to be fair and truthful in my assessment.

I forgot to mention above that the QDP comes with the 10" elliptical coil as well. Over the Ace and the F2, I found this coil to be better at swing coverage (over the 8") as well as ID stability and depth.

But I do like my F2, I just like my QDP better and use it more.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That site is good in most part, but you have to be careful of the "max depth on a quarter" animation. Many push their favorites with unheard depth readings. The review under the F2 by Dan L of Tennessee is me. I try to be fair and truthful in my assessment.

I forgot to mention above that the QDP comes with the 10" elliptical coil as well. Over the Ace and the F2, I found this coil to be better at swing coverage (over the 8") as well as ID stability and depth.

I agree but I know I'm digging some really deep, as well as TINY targets since upgrading.
I've never used the QDP but from everything I've heard, it looks like a really nice machine for the money.

It's really nice to see Bounty Hunter stepping things up. You gotta' love the old ones but there's nothing wrong with keeping up with the new technology that's available; especially when you're spending good money. I believe in getting the best bang for the buck and getting the kind of performance you're paying for.
I've heard great things about the Eurotek Pro as well.

I know personally that the difference between my Land Star clone and my Delta is like night and day. There's just no comparison. I'm hunting at an entirely new level since getting it. I'm definitely keeping the LS clone as a backup or for my kids because it IS a good detector but I just can't see using it for my everyday hunting anymore. I now know for a fact that my Delta sees targets that my BH's can't and it's not even a high end machine by a long shot.

I may write a review on the Delta myself in time. I've have some great finds with it already and I haven't even had it for very long.

HH

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey, I wasn't trying to steal your thunder or anything; just puttin' in my 2 cents that's all.

I just read your review.
Sounds like you really like your F2.

I also noticed you hunt ball fields as do I (among other spots). I've been pretty lucky at the fields lately with the gold and silver myself. You know how it is when you seem to catch a good wave for a little while. Gotta' ride it while it lasts.

I talk to another member here who got an F2 a few months back and she loves it. She's done pretty good with it too. She was using a Tracker IV before her upgrade. Last I talked to her she's found at least one gold ring and some really old buttons. Of course, she's also killing the clad.

I think that you and I agree that compared with the current technology the 505 is probably not the best choice in it's price range at this stage of detector technology and the available deals out there.. There are just many great detectors available now that will outperform it. That's not to say it's a bad machine because it isn't. I've found some of my very best finds with my 30.00 Tracker IV so they all have their good points and their place in the arsenal.

You obviously really like your QDP. It's treating you well and that's a good thing. I've never used one but given what I've read and if the choice was between the 505 and the QDP, I would definitely go with and recommend the QDP. I'm sure I would really like it too if I had one. I like that stock 10" elliptical coil too. I have no doubt that it performs very well. It looks like quite a bit of machine at a great price to me.

I've also heard some great things about the BH Platinum. I missed a deal on a used one for 199.00 before scoring the Delta and would have bought it at that price in a minute. I believe that would have been a great deal and a fine detector as well. There are just lots of great choices to be made these days in the lower price ranges and that's a great thing IMO. It's nice to be able to get a decent machine that performs well without going into debt to get it.

HH

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem, friend. I am not a pusher of any certain detector, as I know everyone has their own preference. That's why I used the word "consider". I did and it was a great choice for me. Another may say no way.

One thing that I will say, is that the new Pro line separates itself from the older BH line and moves towards the processes used in the Fisher, Teknetics line. I heard that FTP is trying to upgrade the F2/F4. If I had to guess, I believe the newer F2/F4 (or whatever they call the newer units) will have coil compatibility with the F5 or F70/F75s. Coils are a great after purchase sales tool. And isolating the F2/F4 lineup with cheaper coils doesn't appear as profitable. (at least that's the way I see it). We are seeing that now. With the Tek Greeks, and this new Pro line that uses F5 coils (over the cheaper BH older types) and the newer CoilBH IDs on the Pro line coils that cost more. It's actually ingenious, from a marketing stand point.

So, in that respect, the F2 may be a better deal with it's already less expensive coils. But I think FTP is getting ready to change that, once they figure out a smooth transition.

The LRP and QDP (and the Lone Star Pro) are the shape of things to come, IMO.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem, friend. I am not a pusher of any certain detector, as I know everyone has their own preference. That's why I used the word "consider". I did and it was a great choice for me. Another may say no way.

One thing that I will say, is that the new Pro line separates itself from the older BH line and moves towards the processes used in the Fisher, Teknetics line. I heard that FTP is trying to upgrade the F2/F4. If I had to guess, I believe the newer F2/F4 (or whatever they call the newer units) will have coil compatibility with the F5 or F70/F75s. Coils are a great after purchase sales tool. And isolating the F2/F4 lineup with cheaper coils doesn't appear as profitable. (at least that's the way I see it). We are seeing that now. With the Tek Greeks, and this new Pro line that uses F5 coils (over the cheaper BH older types) and the newer CoilBH IDs on the Pro line coils that cost more. It's actually ingenious, from a marketing stand point.

So, in that respect, the F2 may be a better deal with it's already less expensive coils. But I think FTP is getting ready to change that, once they figure out a smooth transition.

The LRP and QDP (and the Lone Star Pro) are the shape of things to come, IMO.

That's all good news to me. Again, it's nice to see BH stepping up their game. They've always made good detectors. Now they're making great affordable detectors.

As long as you're mentioning coils, I have my eye on a DD coil for my Delta.
It does extremely well with the 8" concentric already so I'm thinking it may do even better with the 10 or 11" DD. I've never even used one and I'm aware that they work a bit differently but I'm dying to give one a try. I'm not running out today and getting one but when the right deal appears I'll probably jump on it.

We shall see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revpo

revpo

Dec 3, 2004
SOUTHERN INDIANA
Just one other question on the 505 pioneer
Does the panel light up at all to see the ldc meter/readings
Thanks
REVPO

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just one other question on the 505 pioneer
Does the panel light up at all to see the ldc meter/readings
Thanks
REVPO

The 505 doesn't have a back light. Take a flashlight if you're planning on any night time hunts.

None of my detectors have back-lights but I typically quit hunting when the sun goes down. It's never been an issue so far. I do have a small LED light on my pinpointer and have used it to see my detector on a few occasions. There's always a way to adapt when you get the itch to hunt; even in the dark.

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am considering upgrading, and ran into bounty hunter 505, it has the same rating as garrett250, any comments or suggestions?

REVPO/DOCTOR 795:icon_thumleft:

You don't mention whether the 505 is new or used. If your looking at new I'd spend a little more on something better. If it's used and you can pick it up for a really good price then don't be afraid to buy it. I like mine but the display is kind of old schoolish. It has decent features including a no motion mode. They perform well and there is nothing wrong with them. I picked mine up on a local Craigslist ad for $75.00 with 4", 8" and 10" search coils, used once in the box that was collecting dust in a closet. Not a mark on it, like new. There are deals out there to be found. If you do get a 505 READ the manual and carry it with you because there is a learning curve on this machine, it's not exactly turn on and go. Wear a headlamp at night to get around the no backlight display problem. Any Home Depot has them and they are cheap and good to have for night hunting.

Last edited:

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so everyone knows I own a Delta 4000 and some other mid range popular detectors such as a G2, CZ20... The delta is perhaps the best money I have ever spent on a detector, payed $170. The delta goes every bit as deep as the G2 at 11to 12 sensitivity here in my mild soil that ground balances at 57. In my test garden I can pickup a nickel at 11 inches
, a penny at 9 to 10 inches with repeatable although jumpy I'd in discrimination mode with the 8 inch coil (11 to 12 sens). The Greek series are fantastic machines with very good depth. I'm sure the new BH line with the Teknetics process and carried over electronics perform close or as we'll.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does. I was never interested in the Bounty Hunter line until this new Pro line came out. They are designed on the FratBros platform and is an off shoot of the Eurotek line, which is also the same process used in the Greek Series and F5. The LRP and QDP are not as much of a ferrous machine as the Euroteks. Iron is held at 20 of the 0-99 on the Pro's and the ETP is Iron to 40 of 0-99. ETP is probably better for relics/artifacts, which I personally don't seek out.

robs

Sep 20, 2014
Cormorant, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Classic, Tesoro silver umax, Fisher F2, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have fisher f2 and a BH 505. I have tested them side by side. The 505 is deeper, has ground balance and no motion all metal. yet the f2 is faster and sturdier easier to read. Will the f2 hit on a 9 inch quarter? Maybe. Doubtful though.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have fisher f2 and a BH 505. I have tested them side by side. The 505 is deeper, has ground balance and no motion all metal. yet the f2 is faster and sturdier easier to read. Will the f2 hit on a 9 inch quarter? Maybe. Doubtful though.

I would agree. The 505 is the ol style BH's deepest detector citing 8" as it's depth in specs. The best I can get out of my F2 is 7". But the new BH Pro's are better than both. 9" on the QDP and 10" on the LRP. Reason? It uses the Fratbros platform that makes Teknetics so good.

robs

Sep 20, 2014
Cormorant, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also recently bought the LRP but have not been out to use it. Too much snow in Minnesota. Spring can come anytime.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a BH505, I don't use it much, but it was originally my backup to my AT Pro. Its a good detector, as in, its not some junky toy detector. I agree with others who said the F2 may be something to look at. Teknetics as well. There are actually quite a few detectors in this category. Yes, BH505 is good, but is it the best in the category/price range? No, I don't think so, and I own one. Do the research and get the best you can get, no reason to settle.

robs

Sep 20, 2014
Cormorant, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro. Great machine from what l understand. I am not sure that spending more would get more than AT Pro offers. Just out of my price range. My 505 has no motion all metal that does ID the targets. I was a little disappointed that the LRP does not. As far as the F2 goes I do like it, and would be curious to see a side by side with the QDP. I think with the 10 inch elliptical coil the QDP would have the advantage. Both would be easy to use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread