LRP VDIs and depths

LRP1980

Jun 11, 2016
New Brighton, PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reason I asked is I thought I was in a trashy area because of the bouncing and almost didn't dig but then pulled 4 pennies out of one hole and a dime. The sucky part was it kept bouncing in the silver range so I hoped I would find a silver dime....but alas only clad [emoji22]

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For myself...anything that bounces yet stays in the silver range gets dug. Seen to many randoms ID's that ended up being a spill or a coin on edge. You will dig a few bottle caps like this obviously - but way less than pull tabs when hunting nickels in the 35 zone.

If it bounces down to the 40-50's under silver...I am pretty confident it is round or square foil or aluminum tricking the LRP...so I pass on those.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remember, your numeric ID is a single snapshot. It's not going to give a true coin reading when multiple coins are being detected at the same time. If two (or more) coins are touching, the conductivity now changes from a single typical coin to a barrage of different conductivity readings.

When in doubt, dig it.

If it shows up as a typical coin, you dig anyways, and sometimes find junk. Until you understand your detector, I suggest digging everything. Jewelry can show up anywhere. Soon, you know the "exact" sound and actions of a tab or a cap. It's half detecting and half digging. Don't short yourself on either half. The best detectorist out there that finds good coins finds a lot of junk as well.

Last edited:

LRP1980

Jun 11, 2016
New Brighton, PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pulled another 12 pennies, 1 dime, and 2 nickels from the back yard again. Nothing but clad, and some of the pennies were really rough. But the issue im having now is the pin pointing. I seem to always be off and then once the hole is dug it seems to mask the location even further. I think because the detector is picking up the signals then from the top and the side. So I widen the hole into that direction to pull the coin. I still am learning. If the item says a nickel or a dime and stays in that range, all three times it was. Whenever it's bouncing all crazy I just assume it is a penny and when I dig down it usually is. Lol. It's pretty good at keeping junk from being dug. But I suspect because this is such a huge coin spill area for over the past 10 plus years, some of the coins are pretty crusty and they are leaving metal within the soil and that's causing the issues with further bouncing of the VDI. If I keep hearing that bell tone, I dig regardless of the VDI. About 30 coins later I have still to be disappointed!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We've all gone through that learning process. Some with older detectors that didn't have TID or even segments. Two things that escalate the learning process. Stay with it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even though my detectors all have a pin point feature, I still use the X swing pattern. I use the pin point feature for the estimated depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread