bh 505 upgrade help

hardrockherk

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
my girlfriend bought me a bh505 since she knew i was thinking about buying a md. to start with i am a gold prospector not a relic hunter i was debating a higher end machine but wasnt sure i would have patients to metal detect so i really didnt want to spend 800-1000 on something to throw in the river. so.....what i am wondering since i havent been able to get this detector to pick up a plastic vial with 3 grams of gold in it lying on the grass in the back yard with the 8 inch coil it came with will purchasing a double d and/or the 4in coil make this machine perform any better for gold? most of the machines i was looking came the double d or 4in coil. it would be great to find out if i have the patients to detect and if so upgrade in a few months or so but if this machine wont perform even close to what i want i wont be able to give detectoring a fair shake any input would be great thanks

OP
OP
H

hardrockherk

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks but im still not sure if changing the coil will help this entry level coin machine find gold i realize different coils do different things, can any vlf detector run any type/shape vlf coil? are coils brand specific?

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Coils are brand and model specific. The 505 is a good coinshooting machine but can't be regarded as a serious gold prospecting machine. Best setup (although still not very good) is a small searchcoil and search in all metals mode.

If you'll read the book I linked, it'll answer a whole slew of questions you didn't know you needed to ask, and save you from a lot of mistakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hardrockherk

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ok thanks thats what i was wondering looks like i will be going to the lake with the girl and trying it out should get an idea if i will enjoy using a metal detector if i have the patients for it i will buy a gold machine and she can have this one if i dont have the patients she still gets this one......hmmm i think she just really wanted a metal detector lol well thanks for the info

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread