Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in the ocean? Not a chance. Not even in wet beach sand. In fresh water, maybe... until it drowns.

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks you both,, Yes G.A.P.metal nothing above the coil,,

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
The unit is very capable in salt water, not very deep, but will run on wet sand. I have one, and yes I'm that "Guy" who has a $200 NEL coil on a $69 dollar Hobby Lobby special. I use this unit around the Great Salt Lake and area's around it. Its specially set up for this application and is not my only detector.

TRACKERJACK

Greenie
Mar 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A shallow answer with a hint of sarcasm lol. But what detector do you use to avoid leaks in the search head?

TRACKERJACK

Greenie
Mar 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old Beat Frequency Detector.

The first Commercial MD i bought had a wooden search head...the instructions advised that if using in shallow water to place a polythene bag over the search head securing it tightly with an elastic band .

I still have this wooden detector my very first, bought second hand for £3.00 in Edinburgh. Circa 1972.

NB: BFO (Beat Frequency Oscillator)

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a single low freq detector, it is not designed for salt water, you have to turn the sensitively way down to get it stable which means very little depth.....

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a single low freq detector, it is not designed for salt water, you have to turn the sensitively way down to get it stable which means very little depth.....

That's true with wet salt shores. Fresh water shouldn't affect it, like a brook. Wet fresh water (rain dampened) soil usually helps depth. Bounty Hunters are not design as water machines, though coils are hermetically sealed.

Last edited:

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like all the very experienced people here explained, its not designed for salt water hunting. Salt is a metal and it will severely limit depth. However for the great low price you can find a BH Tracker 4 it is completely worth a try, perhaps 4" will be the max on coins in salt water beaches.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like all the very experienced people here explained, its not designed for salt water hunting. Salt is a metal and it will severely limit depth. However for the great low price you can find a BH Tracker 4 it is completely worth a try, perhaps 4" will be the max on coins in salt water beaches.
Not sure get that much depth on beaches with a lot of saline...Wish you luck!

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure get that much depth on beaches with a lot of saline...Wish you luck!

Never have tried one myself, some have posted these results on other forums with the stock coil. Worth a shot to try it, i think the tracker 4 is a great starter machine for those on a real tight budget.

Last edited:

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
captbo, sorry I never answered the original question; yes you can use the unit around and in water up to a couple feet, just keep the head of it dry. The unit is the old blend of digital and analogue, this unit will work around the Great Salt Lake in places better than some other expensive detectors. I keep it going for this very one reason. 4" to 6" depends on a few things. With a Nel Hunter coil 12.5 x 8.5" I can hit 6 to 8" on a nickel again depends on a few things. This unit is one to keep the coil wire not too tight but not too loose, The heavier wire on the nel coil allows it to max on the sensitivity easier than the standard coil. The unit is a bargain. Works well on the saltier beaches here both wet and dry. But I would say its in the 4-5" range on depth. Stay Gold!

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Opie,, !

Jacksparrow1985

Greenie
Mar 13, 2016
Torbay England
Detector(s) used
Mine lab go find 40
Bounty hunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have an old "fastracker" it is a model a rung lower on the ladder below the tracker iv. It works ok in shallow water at the beach, the coil is waterproof, keep the control box dry, don't lift the detector up so the coil is higher than the control box in case water runs down the stem and enters it. I carry a paintbrush with me, and when I finish I give the detector a shake to remove water, brush off loose sand and wipe it clean with a towel . I also find spray can furniture polish is good to spray on the stems so they slide together better, I try not to use petrol based lubricants as they can make plastics or rubber go brittle or break down. I think the tracker iv is a good start in detecting and you will find stuff with it, it is important to learn how to read the beach from books, or internet posts , recovery of the target is always the most tricky part in the wet sand , water. That is the area where I need more practise lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread