Understanding the Conductivity Arc (Land Ranger Pro)

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Land Ranger Pro (and even the Quick Draw Pro) uses a slightly different numeric ID over the Teks and other Bounty Hunter machines. The QDP segments are now divided into 9 rather than 8. And the LRP into 43. The 9th segment is to give Iron it's own area, thus dividing the remaining into 8 rather than 7 for precious metals. Another important change is that the the Iron segment on the LRP and QDP comprises 1-19 of the numeric scale. Thus leaving 8 segments to divide out the remaining 80 numbers. The Teknetics Greeks, Euroteks, Bounty Hunter Platinum, defines Iron in the numerics of 1-39. Precious metals are left in a field of the remaining 60 to divide into the 7 remaining segments.

If some seeks Iron (as in relics), the Teks, Platinum will offer a break down further of the Irom over the LRP, QDP. But if one is seeking precious metals only, this 80 number breakdown provides a bit more in ID, especially for slightly overlapping conductivity of treasure and junk.

One nice feature of the LRP is it's 43 segment conductivity arc.

land-ranger-pro-faceplate.jpg
The first 3 large boxes on the left represent Iron. Typically about 7 numerics each. This leaves the remaining 40 to be divided into the remaining 80 numbers for precious metals, or 2 numbers per. Usually the detection of metal illuminates 2-3 small segments, but the single segment to the right is the segment that the manual says is the stongest, or true identifier.

Since the Eurotek Pro uses the same process, the segments are eliminated and the Iron range is expanded due the different targets obtained in Euro-Asian type areas where ancient treasures are Iron based as well. The American coin segments are usually not advantageous to Europeans and Canadians with different coin metrics.

The QDP is a 9 segment unit as well. It's 8 remaining segments divided into 80, basically 10 per, but not all equal. Where nickles hit in the 50s on the other machines, the BH Pros are usually in the 30s. This opens up a wider scale to judge typical difference between, lets say "tabs" and "nickles".

All in all, the LRP and QDP are geared toward an American audience, and set up more for precious metals than Iron relics, but can do both.

The conductivity arc is used for a few other purposes in setting up the machine. But I'll leave that for another thread.

It will be interesting to see what FTP uses in the new Fishers. I like their innovative attitude once I can figure out what they are trying to accomplish.

I hope this helps someone in understanding this slightly complex machine.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Land Ranger Pro (and even the Quick Draw Pro) uses a slightly different numeric ID over the Teks and other Bounty Hunter machines. The QDP segments are now divided into 9 rather than 8. And the LRP into 43. The 9th segment is to give Iron it's own area, thus dividing the remaining into 8 rather than 7 for precious metals. Another important change is that the the Iron segment on the LRP and QDP comprises 1-19 of the numeric scale. Thus leaving 8 segments to divide out the remaining 80 numbers. The Teknetics Greeks, Euroteks, Bounty Hunter Platinum, defines Iron in the numerics of 1-39. Precious metals are left in a field of the remaining 60 to divide into the 7 remaining segments.

If some seeks Iron (as in relics), the Teks, Platinum will offer a break down further of the Irom over the LRP, QDP. But if one is seeking precious metals only, this 80 number breakdown provides a bit more in ID, especially for slightly overlapping conductivity of treasure and junk.

One nice feature of the LRP is it's 43 segment conductivity arc.

View attachment 1128234
The first 3 large boxes on the left represent Iron. Typically about 7 numerics each. This leaves the remaining 40 to be divided into the remaining 80 numbers for precious metals, or 2 numbers per. Usually the detection of metal illuminates 2-3 small segments, but the single segment to the right is the segment that the manual says is the stongest, or true identifier.

Since the Eurotek Pro uses the same process, the segments are eliminated and the Iron range is expanded due the different targets obtained in Euro-Asian type areas where ancient treasures are Iron based as well. The American coin segments are usually not advantageous to Europeans and Canadians with different coin metrics.

The QDP is a 9 segment unit as well. It's 8 remaining segments divided into 80, basically 10 per, but not all equal. Where nickles hit in the 50s on the other machines, the BH Pros are usually in the 30s. This opens up a wider scale to judge typical difference between, lets say "tabs" and "nickles".

All in all, the LRP and QDP are geared toward an American audience, and set up more for precious metals than Iron relics, but can do both.

The conductivity arc is used for a few other purposes in setting up the machine. But I'll leave that for another thread.

It will be interesting to see what FTP uses in the new Fishers. I like their innovative attitude once I can figure out what they are trying to accomplish.

I hope this helps someone in understanding this slightly complex machine.

so what number does a nickel come in at?
and what number does a pull tab come in at?

my platinum a nickel is 58
pull tab 59

does the LRP give more range between the two?

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how about a video on the v break? How does that work and what does it sound like?

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so what number does a nickel come in at?
and what number does a pull tab come in at?

my platinum a nickel is 58
pull tab 59

does the LRP give more range between the two?

The nickle range is 30-39, aluminum 40-49.

I found what few nickels I could before winter in the 32-35 range. Tabs showed up 38-43. This was the broken off type tabs. I haven't found any tailed tabs, but would assume they would be slightly higher.

As far as the V-Break, it extends the low tone as far into the scale as 60. Low tone default ends at 19, to identify iron. In Disc 2,3 and 4, you can extend the low tone beyond 19 using V-Break. I have disced out iron, and rather than lose the low tone, used V-Break to bring it up to 29 in Mode 4. This gives me 4 tones, three of them dividing up the Gold range. 20-29 is low tone, 30-39 is medium for nickels, 40-59 is VCO, and 60-99 is high tone for silver.

If you get a continuous hit of a particular type of junk, like pull tabs 38-43, you can set the notch width at 5, move it to 43, and your only notching those 5 numbers, even though they straddle the Nickel and Alum range on most detectors. Others, you would have to notch the complete segment(s), instead of just the area you want to fine tune.

The notch and notch width can work in the reverse as well. Disc all the way up to 60, and and notch in Nickels 30-39 by setting the width to 9 and moving the notch up the scale to 39. All silver with Nickels notched in. In Mode 4, Nickels are medium and silver high. You could run V-Break up to 35, and Nickels would be divided with a Low tone for 30-35, and medium for 36-39. Very versitile.

Hope that answers your question. I do not do video's.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread