Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Hits Silver

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre and Garrett ACE 250/Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, headed out this morning for about an hour to the park with my TR running it in Program 4 "Prospecting Mode" when getting a signal I would switch to Discrimination with 0 Disc to identify target. I got a strong signal and checked its ID, it was reading 16-17. According to TR owners manual items reading 1-12 is probably gum wrapping foil, there's no ID info from 13-19 on the manual from ID 20-33 is the nickel range. It's tone sounded like Iron when ID'd. Signal was strong and steady 16-17 at 4" depth so I decided to dig, I said probably some gold ... :) ... But more than likely some trash I thought to myself. Digged the plug out and first thing I saw was one of its silvery end, got all excited and took out my cell and recorded my find, even posted it on you tube, since there's no videos of the TR except some guy doing some air tests of the TR and two other MDs, so I said what the hell I'm gonna start uploading my hunts with my TR.....lol. Any way it shows 925 Italy on its ends a beautiful reversible silver necklace and $.08 of clad change.....wow.... ;). My question here would be Why did it ring 16-17 on Silver since its supposed to hit high on tones and ID? Anyone using TR out there, help is appreciated. Just for info, I ID my wife's 10k gold necklace with gold cross and it ringed as a solid 18-19.

Attachments

• 1429234763652.jpg
    1429234763652.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 1429234779528.jpg
    1429234779528.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 203
  • 1429234795394.jpg
    1429234795394.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 1429234811815.jpg
    1429234811815.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 1429234827125.jpg
    1429234827125.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 178
  • 1429234841836.jpg
    1429234841836.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 182

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool digs, congrats on the silver. Nice hobby huh?:thumbsup:

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, headed out this morning for about an hour to the park with my TR running it in Program 4 "Prospecting Mode" when getting a signal I would switch to Discrimination with 0 Disc to identify target. I got a strong signal and checked its ID, it was reading 16-17. According to TR owners manual items reading 1-12 is probably gum wrapping foil, there's no ID info from 13-19 on the manual from ID 20-33 is the nickel range. It's tone sounded like Iron when ID'd. Signal was strong and steady 16-17 at 4" depth so I decided to dig, I said probably some gold ... :) ... But more than likely some trash I thought to myself. Digged the plug out and first thing I saw was one of its silvery end, got all excited and took out my cell and recorded my find, even posted it on you tube, since there's no videos of the TR except some guy doing some air tests of the TR and two other MDs, so I said what the hell I'm gonna start uploading my hunts with my TR.....lol. Any way it shows 925 Italy on its ends a beautiful reversible silver necklace and $.08 of clad change.....wow.... ;). My question here would be Why did it ring 16-17 on Silver since its supposed to hit high on tones and ID? Anyone using TR out there, help is appreciated. Just for info, I ID my wife's 10k gold necklace with gold cross and it ringed as a solid 18-19.

Silver is always being faked and sold. Not saying yours is. But if it was real it should have read up higher on your detector then it did. It rang up by iron or foil right? Try holding a magnet to it. If it sticks then it's plated. Just my guess.

OP
OP
misterchivo

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just cleaned it and it looks just amazing. Don't have a magnet at hand, I'll take it to the jeweler tomorrow on the lockets it shows 925 Italy and on the other side shows 8XI any idea what the 8XI means?

Attachments

• 1429237584524.jpg
    1429237584524.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 192

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Size?
got a frig magnet?

OP
OP
misterchivo

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go. I found this for you on amazon. Read reviews. seems like it is just plated. Have it checked out though to be sure.
http://www.amazon.com/Italian-Sterling-Herringbone-Necklaces-Bracelets/dp/B00DMFF5VY

Hi there, just checked it with a magnet and it didn't stick. Found a thread here regarding a "Gold" necklace that had stamped 925 Italy here is the link one of its comments said that he had found one that had 925 and 14kt stamped? The one I found seems to have real small stamp 8XI or maybe 8KT? White Gold 8% and 92% Silver? I need to get a magnifying glass or something to make sure what the small stamp reads.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/77544-925-markings-italy.html

Magnet Test
https://youtu.be/WCCdKE27UzM

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there, just checked it with a magnet and it didn't stick. Found a thread here regarding a "Gold" necklace that had stamped 925 Italy here is the link one of its comments said that he had found one that had 925 and 14kt stamped? The one I found seems to have real small stamp 8XI or maybe 8KT? White Gold 8% and 92% Silver? I need to get a magnifying glass or something to make sure what the small stamp reads.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/77544-925-markings-italy.html

Magnet Test
https://youtu.be/WCCdKE27UzM

Id go have it checked out! Im curious to know what it is too...

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
misterchivo

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id go have it checked out! Im curious to know what it is too...

Took it to the jeweler today but it was closed so I took it to the local pawn shop and had it tested, according to them its silver and the small stamp on it besides the 925 Italy is IX8 but they had no idea what it meant, its weight is 15 grams.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there you go.. ;-)

Just makes me wonder why it rang up so low on your detector. Id think silver would have been way farther up the scale then what yours was reading?

Good find though!!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Time Ranger is not a relic machine. Relics rely on iron content. The Teks scale has the first 40 out of 99 a breakdown of iron conductivity. The BH Pros use 1-19 leaving 80 for a scale to break down gold and silver conductivity. The Time Ranger may use 1-4 out of 199 for iron, and progresses from 5-19 as foil. Using the gold and silver possibilities on the scale above the screen, you can see the gold starts from the extreme left where other units have the extreme left with a small section for iron before gold starts.

In this, the gold range (very small gold bits) could be IDed as low as 5 or 6 since gold can show up under foil. Remember, it's the conductivity that places the ID, as well as size. The unit is tuned to coin sized objects. So an aluminum can, can have the same conductivity as a silver coin, due to it's size. So partial silver, depending on it's arrangement, depth and other factors (part at 3" some at 2") doesn't add up to a coined sized silver object but more of a nickel conductivity or even foil. I bet, if you had circled "around" the necklace, you would have seen some different IDs. This is why "iffys" are checked from all sides as well as lifting and lowering the coil and inch or so. And also why most experienced hunters say to dig all iffys.

Some dig all as beep and digs. I can't stress enough when someone thought it was foil/pull tab and it was a gold ring. Jewelry is sneaky.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Plantasman. I was thinking the pawn shop only tested the coating or plating. Heck anything ya find makes it a good day.:occasion14:

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Time Ranger is not a relic machine. Relics rely on iron content. The Teks scale has the first 40 out of 99 a breakdown of iron conductivity. The BH Pros use 1-19 leaving 80 for a scale to break down gold and silver conductivity. The Time Ranger may use 1-4 out of 199 for iron, and progresses from 5-19 as foil. Using the gold and silver possibilities on the scale above the screen, you can see the gold starts from the extreme left where other units have the extreme left with a small section for iron before gold starts.

In this, the gold range (very small gold bits) could be IDed as low as 5 or 6 since gold can show up under foil. Remember, it's the conductivity that places the ID, as well as size. The unit is tuned to coin sized objects. So an aluminum can, can have the same conductivity as a silver coin, due to it's size. So partial silver, depending on it's arrangement, depth and other factors (part at 3" some at 2") doesn't add up to a coined sized silver object but more of a nickel conductivity or even foil. I bet, if you had circled "around" the necklace, you would have seen some different IDs. This is why "iffys" are checked from all sides as well as lifting and lowering the coil and inch or so. And also why most experienced hunters say to dig all iffys.

Some dig all as beep and digs. I can't stress enough when someone thought it was foil/pull tab and it was a gold ring. Jewelry is sneaky.

What if he rolled it up like a coin and ran his detector over it now that it is out of the hole? Wonder what it would read then? Should be in the silver range.........

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What if he rolled it up like a coin and ran his detector over it now that it is out of the hole? Wonder what it would read then? Should be in the silver range.........

OK. the size may be coin sized, then it has to have the same "conductivity" on the scale. A beercan can have the same conductivity as silver, even though it's not the same size. Make the beercan coined sized, it will ring up as "alum". You have the Deleon that does one more better using this method. The scale on each of the 5 segments are graduated, meaning the higher the height, the more confident the "segment" is for size. But if the ID says nickel and the ID says 0, it's iron. If you get a 95 and the silver height is low or medium (not at it's highest), the machine is saying "silver conductivity" but not sure of the size. This is the way Vince Guifford designed it to work. It's why the Deleon is one of the best coin machines made.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. the size may be coin sized, then it has to have the same "conductivity" on the scale. A beercan can have the same conductivity as silver, even though it's not the same size. Make the beercan coined sized, it will ring up as "alum". You have the Deleon that does one more better using this method. The scale on each of the 5 segments are graduated, meaning the higher the height, the more confident the "segment" is for size. But if the ID says nickel and the ID says 0, it's iron. If you get a 95 and the silver height is low or medium (not at it's highest), the machine is saying "silver conductivity" but not sure of the size. This is the way Vince Guifford designed it to work. It's why the Deleon is one of the best coin machines made.

It is pretty killer and I am loving it more each time I take it out. The thing is a quarter magnet for me. My boy was digging a hole and I walked over and swung the deleon over it. I said don't keep digging it's iron. He Has a bounty hunter tracker 4. He said but it's beeping on a high tone. He got up and showed me. I said turn your discrimination all the way up. He did and it still beeped high. My guess is it was a large piece of iron? The discrimination on that tracker 4 is different.I guess I'm use to the compadre discrimination. The tracker 4 is totally different

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never saw a silver necklace register in the silver range as it does not see the links as a mass,therefore a very low reading.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never saw a silver necklace register in the silver range as it does not see the links as a mass,therefore a very low reading.

I agree. I've dug many smaller silver rings that rang up at the high end of the zinc range.
But like I always say, the only true discrimination is your two eyes. When in doubt, dig it up and look at it.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett 424 is correct. The conductivity scale is set for coin sized objects. Role up the necklace, it has a good chance of a silver hit. Hit it in smaller portions opened up, and you get a less than silver hit, maybe zinc or even lower. Using pinpoint to size an object along with the conductivity stamp gives you only an idea of what it is. When in doubt, dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread