Waterproofing a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202.....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted this in the general metal detecting forum but figured I'd post it in the BH section as well:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...-waterproofed-their-detector.html#post4539954

"Has Anyone Ever Waterproofed Their detector??

I have a Bounty Hunter machine (202) I want to waterproof to try some underwater hunting this year.
I have a couple of old swimming holes I have good feelings about. Plus, I've never done any real underwater hunting and I'm dying to give it a try now that summer is finally upon us.

I've seen a few YouTube videos and have a few ideas incubating but I'm wondering if anyone has actually done this successfully and if so, I would love to hear about it.

I found one old thread here by a guy who said he filled all of the holes with marine epoxy and it worked great. The thing is, I tried to PM him and found out he's been banned from the site. So I'm not convinced his method is for real. Although technically, it should work (at least for a while) the description isn't too detailed. I'm not going to risk my machine without knowing full well that it will NOT leak.

Although I'm not in love with this particular detector I still don't wanna' fry it. It's still fine for a spare and/or kid machine and it has found me a few really nice treasures.

So the end goal is to make it fully submersible and able to safely use headphones. If anyone had successfully done a job like this I would truly love to hear all about it.

Thanks in advance and HH. "

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's going to be tough, IMO. If there is a way for a possible leak in anything, water will always find it. My only advice is..........be careful and expect the worst.:dontknow:

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's going to be tough, IMO. If there is a way for a possible leak in anything, water will always find it. My only advice is..........be careful and expect the worst.:dontknow:

It may not be easy but I see it as a challenge.

Also, ANYTHING made by any human can be replicated by another. IOW, if the manufacturers can make submersible machines than I should be able to make one of mine submersible as well. It may not end up as pretty as an off the shelf unit but I'm looking for functionality.

I've seen some cool mods where people have put the guts inside an airtight lunch box with a locking top. I'm thinking along the same lines only using marine epoxy to seal everything in.

The REALLY tricky part is gonna' be figuring out a way to hook up the headphones. I normally don't even use them (because to me they're a PITA) but for underwater hunting I don't see any way around it. I can go wireless. In fact, now that I think about it, that's the only reasonable way.

I'm not going to rush into this. I'll study some other submersible machines, etc. and see what I can come up with. It may not bee too hard.

There's no way I'm the only guy contemplating this type of mod now that summer's here.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread