Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do believe the reason why it bets the at pro, because of the price. Both machines have about the same feature, but the lrp's price really catches the deal.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The price of the LRP was one of the drawbacks as being somewhat expensive. If you look at the list price ($449) that may be true. But BHs not following a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) rule allows the BHs to be sold for much less. I know of no detector that sells for under $300 that does what the LRP does.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could not agree more Phantasman. I do not own one yet...but as you know via PM I will be soon thanks to your great knowledge and information on both. I do my research before pulling the trigger and have seen every video and every paragraph written online about it. IMO it blows away any detector in the sub $300 range on not only depth but available options. 8-10in on a quarter....4 tones...adjustable Fe Tone...variable notch width. They really are awesome machines for the price.

For $280 it will be my next detector while my wife rocks the Quick Draw Pro at $185. All we own now is the Scorpion Gold Stinger for gold prospecting...but we do not go to the mountains to prospect as much as we would like. We have parks everywhere however and both feel those two machines will be great starting points for VDI machines. The fact the LRP and QDP can swap coils making both new machines so to speak....is icing on the cake.

I am fairly positive the 4.7 reviews on both sites you linked are taken straight from Amazon as they both redirect to the Amazon page when clicked upon. On Amazon it sits at 4.6 out of 5.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think BH just got a really bad name when the first came out with the cheesy models they produced. We had a couple early ones at work and they were just junk. It looks like they are stepping it up.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think BH just got a really bad name when the first came out with the cheesy models they produced. We had a couple early ones at work and they were just junk. It looks like they are stepping it up.

I have never owned a BH until my son received his Bounty Hunter Gold Digger last Christmas. Just a kids $60 starter detector I told myself....he will tire of it soon.

Well he found a 10k ring on his first day out and a few coins as well. I was floored. He did of course tire of it and move onto his next hobby that will last a week like all 11-12 year olds do. To be honest I am glad he did. He lets me take it out anytime I want and let me say it is a coin hog. Set it to full sensitivity and then discrim knob to about the 2 o'clock position. It will grunt low/broken on tabs and bottle caps yet hit a high beep on any penny/dime/quarter. It is amazing for $60 and easily goes 4-6 inches on any coin. I;m sure if I ran into another MDer who saw me swinging it they would snicker..but I don't care. Hit 4 coins in a row just the other day...Youtube video in my signature below to prove it!

I have heard some people swear by thier old BH machines and others curse the name religiously. To each there own. IMO this little $60 "kids" machine is fantastic and has me sold on buying the LRP and QDP as our next machines.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The Pro line of Bounty Hunters are using the same process as Teknetics, the Fisher F5 and the new F11, F22 and F44. The BH Platinum, Gold and Titanium are just Teks with plug in coils to separate them from the Tek line. Also the Platinum doesn't have FE scale and manual ground balance. Otherwise, it's a Tek Gamma, same process same depth. There has to be a distinction between Teks, Fishers and BHs. Since BHs are not sold by MD dealers and offered through chain stores or E-maga-markets, they are considered family entry level detectors. But the Pro line is more like an in between entry level and professional detectors. The BH Pro line has more in common with Teknetics and Fisher. The only things in common with the old BHs is the name, a two rod shaft and the fact the coils plug in instead of screw in. Even the BH Pro coils won't work with older BHs, and operate at the same frequency as the Teks and new Fishers. If you buy or make a screw in to plug in converter, you can use the Tek Greek series coils on the Land Ranger Pro as well as the other Pro line.

This ain't yo mama's Bounty Hunter any more.:laughing7:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

They definitely got a bad rap but honestly, had I not come a across a sweetheart deal on my first Tracker IV, I never would have dived into this hobby the way I have.

Plus, although somewhat "cheesy"; they WILL find treasure. I found my first gold and silver rings as well as multiple silver coins with my used $30.00 Tracker IV I found on Craigslist.

It's absolutely true that better equipment will find more treasure but I'll always stand by the statement that in this hobby, just showing up is 90% of the battle regardless of the fact that you may be swinging a cheap detector.

The other 10% is never getting discouraged or giving up. Any detector will find something worthwhile sooner or later if you just keep digging no matter what.

So, although my BH machines are basically retired and/or relegated to kid status, I owe them (and the people who build them) a huge debt of gratitude for introducing me to as well as teaching me many things about this great hobby. They were affordable enough to get me easily started and functional enough to locate many great treasures.

Once in a while my Tracker IV really surprised me too. I dug a 1957 silver Rosie at around 9 inches in hard, wet clay. The signal was faint but it was loud enough to encourage me to dig it up. That's not typical by any means but once it a while it CAN happen. I guess the conditions were just right that day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The LRP is 80% of most professional detectors. You can get 80% depth, build quality, options of the high ends for $280 in the LRP. If you want the extra 20% it can cost up to $1000 more.

I'm satisfied to dig no more than 11" with the 11" DD in AM mode. From there 8"-9" is comfortable in any disc mode.

For over 15 years I've enjoyed the "hobby" and it's been profitable and fun. I never considered myself a professional, so never pursued the equipment made for professionals.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Phantasman this is the post that I read soon after you posted that greatly assisted in me ordering the LRP 2 weeks ago. It's one of the best bangs for the buck.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Must be catching on. WalMart was selling the LRP for a "roll back" price of $228 from their $252 price. They sold out and now it's listed at $306. Noticed Amazon raised their price as well.

?????

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be catching on. WalMart was selling the LRP for a "roll back" price of $228 from their $252 price. They sold out and now it's listed at $306. Noticed Amazon raised their price as well.

?????

Yeah...kinda bummed I did not get one at $228. It's easily worth the $306...but $75 less sure was nice. Seems odd it raises during the holidays.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Provantage.com

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of stock unfortunately

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just went through 10 pages of Googleness checking availability and pricing of the LRP. Every site that even charged as high as $347 is out of stock. Those who charge $400+ still have stock. One place had it priced at $498. Most said to pre-order as more are coming in. Bet FTP is working long hours for this quarter to meet demand.

I get many PMs on this and another forum with LRP and QDP questions. I try to help as much as I can. But the barrage of PMs asking where to buy one is getting small. I know a place right now where you can get a LRP for $299. But that may soon be history as well if he sells out.

Last edited:

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine found all this with a Gold Digger in an 8 week period.
silv.jpg

I have never owned a BH until my son received his Bounty Hunter Gold Digger last Christmas. Just a kids $60 starter detector I told myself....he will tire of it soon.

Well he found a 10k ring on his first day out and a few coins as well. I was floored. He did of course tire of it and move onto his next hobby that will last a week like all 11-12 year olds do. To be honest I am glad he did. He lets me take it out anytime I want and let me say it is a coin hog. Set it to full sensitivity and then discrim knob to about the 2 o'clock position. It will grunt low/broken on tabs and bottle caps yet hit a high beep on any penny/dime/quarter. It is amazing for $60 and easily goes 4-6 inches on any coin. I;m sure if I ran into another MDer who saw me swinging it they would snicker..but I don't care. Hit 4 coins in a row just the other day...Youtube video in my signature below to prove it!

I have heard some people swear by thier old BH machines and others curse the name religiously. To each there own. IMO this little $60 "kids" machine is fantastic and has me sold on buying the LRP and QDP as our next machines.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend of mine found all this with a Gold Digger in an 8 week period.
View attachment 1474149

Which is proof that it's not as much as how deep and all the bells and whistles a detector has as it is seeking the area to effectively produce results. I read an article once that some 85% of all lost jewelry/coinage from the ages lie no more than 6-7 inches below the ground. (this doesn't include dug caches or land that has been turned, but through the settling process).

I found Roman coins worth £100,000... 20 minutes after buying first metal detector: Novice unearths 'nationally significant' find during first treasure hunt | Daily Mail Online

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread