push in connectors???

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never owned a bounty hunter before. However the new land ranger pro really has me looking. Was all set to grab a Eurotek Pro but the lrp seems to offer much more. My only concern are the plug in connectors. They are obviously not better than screw connectors or everyone would use them. So has anyone found them to be a problem?? I know it limits you on coils but any actual PROBLEMS? THANKS ALL.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had any issues yet. Both my BH's use push-in connectors. They are snug and have never come close to falling out. I prefer them to the threaded type, especially my SS2 that I switch coils on frequently. If for some terrible reason this cord ever gets snagged hard on something it will just unplug instead of causing possible damage.

I look at it like a USB cable....it would be terrible if those were screw in.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never owned a bounty hunter before. However the new land ranger pro really has me looking. Was all set to grab a Eurotek Pro but the lrp seems to offer much more. My only concern are the plug in connectors. They are obviously not better than screw connectors or everyone would use them. So has anyone found them to be a problem?? I know it limits you on coils but any actual PROBLEMS? THANKS ALL.

The plug in connector is the definition of the Bounty Hunter line. Since Bounty Hunter is sold through discounted means, there needed to be a definable differences between the Tek/Fisher line up that MD dealers sell. The BH Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro and Lone Star Pro is the same process used by the Eurotek, Eurotek Pro, Digitek, F11, F22 and F44. The only difference is the control options and the 2 rod system and plug in coil for Bounty Hunter.

If you hunt in thicket, the plug in coil is not for you. If you hunt parks, dry beach, open fields, etc., you won't see a difference. The coil offering for older plug in coils is very inexpensive. The newer FTP line for the BH Pro is there for the user, but not discounted like the older units. The only thing the Eurotek Pro has over the LRP is the FeTone Iron Audio, advantageous for the relic hunter or older iron offerings found in Europe. In the US, the LRP offers ground balance (manual or auto), segment ID, V-Break, notch width adjustment, for $40 less than the Eurotek Pro for the 11" DD pricing.

For the "hobby" of coin/jewelry hunting, the LRP has the best offering for the price, bar none. But some think the plug in coils (not found on more expensive units) are less professional. To me it just makes them proprietary. In fact, when I change out my lower rods between the LRP and QDP to use the QDP in 11" DD, the plug in coils switch smoother and faster. They don't get looser with time either.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own three older style (muffler on a stick) BH machines; all with push on connectors, a Tracker IV, Pioneer 202 and a Radio Shack Land Star clone. For the most part, they're fine and function as well as you can expect those particular detectors to. They're not depth monsters but they're quite capable for what they are.

However, I DID have one issue with my Pioneer 202. The connector had become a little loose and packed with dirt which caused the machine to become so erratic it was practically useless. I was ready to give it away to a kid I know.

A T'Net member by the name of Fixative suggested that I check the connector to resolve the issues and he was correct.

Luckily, it was an easy fix. I removed the connector from the machine (two small phillips screws), cleaned it thoroughly with electrical contact cleaner and then re seated and re snugged the connection.
I fired it up and it was like a new machine. It works perfectly to this day (not that I actually use it anymore but if I ever need it, it's ready to go).

So my opinion is simple. The push on connector is okay but MAY require some periodic cleaning and maintenance. If you get one and it starts getting erratic down the road, check that connector. If you use it like I use my machines there's a good chance that you could get dirt packed in there over time. Just make sure and keep it clean and snug. OTOH, it may never happen.

Also, if you ever need to snug it up, plug it in FIRST and then snug it. That way it will seat itself perfectly. It has to be centered almost perfectly to connect and disconnect the coil easily. I learned that the hard way. But again, it's a simple 5 minute fix and is nothing more than routine cleaning and maintenance. there's nothing difficult about it whatsoever. A 10 year old could easily do the job with no problems.

Everything else I have heard regarding the LRP has been extremely positive. I've never used one but I'm getting tempted to get one myself; if only for a decent backup. In the end I'll probably stick with the Teknetics brand (because they're fantastic) but you never know. For the money the LRP looks like quite a bit of machine with lots of great features and excellent performance. I've read nothing but positive reviews on that particular machine thus far.

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes...that is correct...and how 95% of all detectors and coils are made.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between brands - no. A Minelab coil is not going to work on a Whites...and a Nokta coil is not going to work on a Tesoro. Even if the pin plugin matched...it would not work.

The only reason Bounty Hunter - Teknetics - Fisher coils can swap (on certain models) is because they are all under the umbrella company First Texas Products.

There are many companies where the coils will swap between their different "models" of detectors. A Fisher F75 coil will fit on a Fisher F70. A "Greek Series" coil will work on like 10 different detectors if you have the right adapter.

This link below might be of interest since you are in the Bounty Hunter section and talking coils.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/bounty-hunter/496241-first-texas-coil-situation-guide-sorts.html

madmantrapper

Sep 1, 2018
Carroll County, Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I looked at the link and I thought the operating frequency has to match the coil at first. Then I got to thinking then how does the multi-frequency machines work. There must be something in the circuitry to match the impedance to the coil for a given frequency.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK I looked at the link and I thought the operating frequency has to match the coil at first. Then I got to thinking then how does the multi-frequency machines work. There must be something in the circuitry to match the impedance to the coil for a given frequency.
The frequencies DO have to match to be 100% effective. The Bounty Hunter Fratbros detectors (Pro series) use plug in, as well as early Technetics Alpha and Delta, plus the early Fisher F5. FTP changed to screw on for their later Fisher and Technetics. A standard "plug in to screw on" adapter can be made using a plug in female to screw on male" using 4 wires soldered to the proper connectors. Some people make those adapters, including NEL and CORS since they make coils for the Fratbros detectors and want those with plugin to be able to use their products. It is easier than making some coils with one or the other plugin type.

I like the plug ins better than the screw on, since any accidental entanglement will come unplugged rather than rip the connection apart. FTP plugs have never come loose or given me a problem. It's just a personal preference thing for some.

Point: The older BH George Payne 6.9 coils will not work properly on the newer Fratbros detector heads even though the plugs match. It's due to the coil wire winding spacing to match the frequency.

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does Fratbros, NEL, CORS, and Greek series mean?

Fraternities in college use "Greek" letters....Alpha, Delta, Gamma, Omega...those are the 4 detector names.

NEL and CORS are both 3rd party coil companies....bother and sister companies....same coils just different names.

Something else to keep in mind....the 7.7khz and 19khz machines can swap coils with zero performance loss.

OffDWall

Nov 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Connectors available?

I made the mistake of letting someone borrow my Quick Draw II and it came back not working. I noticed a small amount of water leaking around the edge of the face, but when I pulled it off everything was clean and dry. That's when I noticed the connector was damaged. It looks like someone tried to force it backwards and it's all chewed up. Any idea where I can find a new connector for the plug?

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say I had problems with mine Land Star falling due to connector slop..I even looked into changing it out for a more positive lock system...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread