Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro is a better machine all the way around, from what I see, for relic hunting.

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO...yes the AT Pro will be the better relic hunting machine than the Platinum Pro. I think the AT Pro has better separation, disc, recovery speed, and depth than the Platinum.

The Land Ranger Pro is the best BH machine and a step-up from your Platinum....and the LRP is still not quite an AT Pro in my opinion...although it tries damn hard.

The AT Pro is $650 however.....the Platinum can be had for half that at $299. I do not think the AT Pro is 2X the machine worth 2X the price compared to the Platinum.

The Land Ranger Pro can be had for $230...and IMO is worth $550-600 of the AT Pros $650 price if we are talking "price to performance".

I personally would not buy an AT Pro if I had a Platinum as spending 2X the price does not get me 2X the machine. No thanks.

If I was going to upgrade my Platinum I would check out upgrading to a LRP...which is actually cheaper and performs better. You could probably sell that Platinum for 200-250 and buy a LRP for basically nil.

OP
OP
Cletus

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the reply's.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What coil do you have on the Platinum Pro? You can get aftermarket coils that would allow this detector to compete with the AT Pro. all Greek series coils will work on your detector.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What coil do you have on the Platinum Pro? You can get aftermarket coils that would allow this detector to compete with the AT Pro. all Greek series coils will work on your detector.

Good point Loco. I had not thought about coil options. The Platinum has some nice coil options available from NEL and in house from Teknetics that will "open it up" so to speak.

OP
OP
Cletus

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it has the double D coil that came with the machine.
i know if i ask 10 people i will get 8 different opinions.
and thank each of you for yours.
i was hoping that someone has done a side by side comparison between the two.

just not sure if there is enough difference to justify buying the AT Pro.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cletus, I swung a mid level detector last season (Fisher F4 w/DD coil). I ran into a great deal and upgraded to the F75LTD SE. It has more options, but I have not found anything that the F4 wouldn't have hit on. If you are a true relic hunter I'd save some money and buy the Teknetics Classic T2 instead of the AT pro. It is only $499 and instead of having 1-19 VDI for iron like many detectors it has a 1-40 VDI for iron.

The F4 could only be ground balanced in all metal mode and the VDi did not function in AM mode. The F75 LTD SE rings in nickels as a high tone in 3H & 4H tone modes. The boost process is great to get a better VDI reading when you have a deep iffy signal. The T2 is more for relic hunting otherwise I was real close on buying one last season until I ran into the deal on the F75 LTD SE.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cletus

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone.
I have been eyeing the AT pro for some time now.
i finally made up my mind and placed the order.
hopefully it will not be a decision that i regret.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone.
I have been eyeing the AT pro for some time now.
i finally made up my mind and placed the order.
hopefully it will not be a decision that i regret.

The AT Pro is a fine machine Cletus...you will have tons of fun with it. Sometimes if you like something and have an itch....it must be scratched.

I want a F19 so bad....it is all but a guarantee it is my next detector. If somebody told me otherwise I would plug my ears and yell nanananananannananana at them. :occasion14:

You ever want to rid yourself of that Platinum...PM me and perhaps we can talk!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Relic hunting is different than coin/jewelry/gold in that you actually seek out Iron signals in a way that you can justify size. And most detectors are designed with a hierarchy of the metals spectrum.

Bounty Hunters are coin machines that can detect gold and iron relics. Others are relic machines that detect coins and gold. Some are gold machines that detect relics and coins. I think you see where this is going.

The ATP is an all purpose hunter, but it's the few added features that makes it superior to the Platinum. Selectable iron audio, pro mode tone roll helps ID targets, manual ground balance so you can go negative for better depth, and it's a sealed detector, and relic hunting can take you into some dirty and dusty environments. It's not like going to the park or the beach.

So you can see why I made the comment I did. If you don't get along with the ATP, my next suggestion would be the T2 Classic (phenomenal for the price) or the F19. Both are closer to what you're used to.

OP
OP
Cletus

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the AT Pro came today. after a few minutes the detector was together and running.
I decided to take it for a walk around my yard. i wasn't expecting much because i have went over the area time and again with the bounty hunter.
to my surprise i was hitting targets. not just a couple but several.
I then came up with the idea of seeding my garden with several different targets.

penny + dime 9"
dime 10"
nickel 8"
quarter 10"
car key 5"
minie ball 10"
rusty nail 16 penny 5"
lid from a skoal can 10"

the bounty hunter only hit on the snuff lid, car key and the rusty nail.
so i was beginning to think maybe i got carried away on the depth when i planted the objects.
next i tried the ATP. i was really surprised when i started getting hits that was silent with the BH.
The ATP sang out on every target except the lone dime.
but i think that any machine would struggle with a dime at 10".

i will add that i was wearing head phones with the ATP and some of the small targets did give off a faint tone
that may not have been heard without head phones.
The ATP was set on zero pro mode with the disc set at 20.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, those depths are about what the LRP gets on air tests. Ground would probably be an inch less or so, and pushing the GB "may" get those depths. AM would for sure with headphones with sensitivity maxed.

The ATP has a really good filter circuit for ID and works with Iron Disc better than most detectors. A relic hunters dream, as iron targets don't just "beep" but "beep with distinction"

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was asked "beep with distinction".

Tesoro is the best example. Tesoro uses sound in a way no other company does. If a dime and a metal screw cap showed up under the same segment of, say, a LRP, then you hope the numeric ID would be different by a digit or two to distinguish between the two. Tesoro's circuits sound different with a screw cap disguised as a dime in that the tip of the wave lengths give a fuzzy sound just before and after the tone it makes. You get a pure tone (beep) or the edges sound not so pure, are as if some static is in the tone. Garrett calls it Proportional Audio with Tone Roll. But it was taken from the Tesoro playbook. The ear becomes trained as well as what you see (on the display). Works better with disc than AM. Tesoro's detect deeper because of this and not having to drive visual displays inside the processor. If you go to scannerguy's youtube channel, you can watch the Vaquero beat out the display detectors like the ATPro and F19 for the deep stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions