things newbies need to know / tips to make a bounty hunter usible on the beach

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
many newbies buy a tracker IV or other bounty hunter (they don't want to invest too much to see if they like MDing or just don't have much spare cash to spend) and not knowing the "basics" take it to the beach put a couple batteries in it and when it goes "beep--beep--beep" all the time call it junk and thats the end of their metal detecting hobby---well because of this bounty hunter models are unfairly labeled "junk"---the truth is their really just too sensitive----their picking up the minerials (dissolved metals in the saltwater)---this problem often can easily be solved in many cases ---by turning down the sen knob and turning up the disc knob until the machine stablizes (stops acting up)---this as the user you must do manually yourself with the "cheaper " bounty hunters --the "high dollar" machines basically do it for you --but you pay a lot more money for them to do that---while its true the higher dollar machines are stronger and go a bit deeper and have lots more "bells and whistles"---the humble and affordible tracker IV in the hands of a skilled user can find great stuff too--and hey most folks ain't got a spare $1000 + bucks laying around but can swing $130 to say $200 bucks---by the way some of the lower cost "preset" machines cannot be eazily ground balance adjusted---and sooner or later you will be in areas where you are going to need to adjust your machine to the conditions there to "stablize it" to make it work properly--if you get a totally "preset" type machine sometimes they will not be usible in those "spots" however most places are fine--some are not---thats why I recommend even if you get a "cheap" machine make sure its "manually adjustible" ---if it has both a preset and manual adjustible great---start of in preset if it acts up switch to manual use the method I shown you here to stablize it ----good hunting------Ivan

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aside from tying a rope on the BH and dragging it along behind you to see where you've been walking, you can follow Ivan's advice. Not all detectors are made for doing all the types of hunting we want to do. Beach detectors require certain features that are necessary at a saltwater beach, but maybe not a freshwater one. Golfers use many different clubs for a course, and you should too if you do different areas or types of hunting.

A top of the line detector isn't necessary to have fun. Not all people are into playing with all the menus to try to increase their finds and just paying attention to detail will help a lot.

Nice post Ivan.........

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
well sandman--I totally agree--while it is best to have many tools to work with no doubt --with this post--- I was trying to "assist" the budget minded folks that only have a bounty hunter or other low end type machine get the most out of what they have got --- I agree while far from the "ideal" machines to beach hunt with ---sometimes they are all you got or can afford at the time--- therefore these tips are to help the bigenners understand some of the basic tricks that MIGHT be of help to them---if you can afford a better machine for the beach by all means get it---however if not heres a few tricks I know that could help maybe---IVAN

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
I have a Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Bounty Hunter Tracker IV). A $10.00 swap meet special. It is very basic, easy to use and turn on and go. It has been used on all ground conditions. Mountain soil, parks, playgrounds, sandy fresh water beaches and in the water. Last year I took it up to Washington State and visited my daughter. I used it in the salt water of Puget Sound. No problems. Found some coins. So far I have found hundreds of coins with it, plus silver, gold men's rings, junk jewelry. I bought a 4 inch coil for it. Helps me to get into close places. Also during the drought as our big lake went down found hundreds of old soda pop bottles and coins just laying in the water. A 1900 Morgan Dollar, silver dimes, buffalo nickels, wheat cents. I am about the only person metal detecting around here. I have met many people that have expensive metal detector that are sitting in the cupboard. These people don't have the time to detect. They are sold a machine they don't know how to use. Bounty Hunter is good - their manuals are on the internet.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the tips of course aren't for the old hands types since we know them already----they are mainly for newbies that don't have big bucks to buy "high dollar" rigs but still want to hunt the beach with a "cheap" rig--many of the old hands are greedy and will not share knowlegde with these newbies----and thus all the newbies hear are ---bounty hunters are junk and can't be used on the beach ---yada yada-----in many cases however bounty hunters can be used to hunt the beaches --you just gotta know how to "adjust" the machines for it properly---most folks who paid big bucks for their rigs "trash talk" about the low price bounty hunters--(often folks who pay big bucks for things love to "trash talk" others "cheaper" stuff nothing new there huh?)----but in the hands of some one that knows how to use one a simple plain ole tracker IV can find some great stuff too--(you can have the biggest baddest MD in the world---but if you don't know how to "work" it its useless)--Ivan

Samuelben

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lonestar/junior
thats a good point ivan.but back on to topic has anyone used the bounty hunter lone star on a salt or fresh water beach,ive used in a creek, gravel, and dirt,its worked fine very few false readings,it has alot of features to eliminate certain objects,so i would assume it would work nicely.but anyone with actual experience?

sincerly B

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
I have a BH 505,
if you have a ground track button, to help "reset" the ground track, make sure, if you go from dry to wet sand, or vice verse, press the ground track button, and it will end those false readings. The same thing goes for hunting above, or in the water. As soon as you touch the water, press the ground track again....again, then end of false readings. HH
Good post Ivan.

~Tom

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
I have a Radio Shack - Discovery 1000 (Bounty Hunter Tracker IV). I have used it in all kinds of soil conditions. From mountain campgrounds, to school yards, fresh lake beaches and in the water up to the control panel and about a year ago in the salt water at Puget Sound, Washington. No problems - also I bought a 4" coil. A sturdy machine. Have found plenty of silver coins, some gold and sterling rings and a few relics. I put the cheapest batteries in it - from the Dollar Stores. Alway carry spares with me. What I really like about it - a $10.00 special at the local swapmeet. Metal detectors do turn up at flea markets or swap meets. Sometimes garage sales.

Samuelben

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lonestar/junior
thnx ivan going to beach this summer thatll help

George W

Greenie
May 16, 2008
I had a BH 505 I got at WalMart and my advice for beach huntting is DON'T not with BH.. Inland it's a decent unit I found a 1941 dime 15" deep under a softball size rock on a fresh water beach.. Stay away from salt and there not to bad.. If you can Get a high end unit to start with you will have it a lifetime.. I ended up with a DFX 3 years ago and the wife just got herself a MXT 300 that should be here soon.. WalMart took back the 505 after I used it 2 weeks and said I wanted a unit for salt water beaches and the 505 was not it.. George

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I agree BH are not the best units to use for heavily mineral areas or saltwater / wet sand areas but at times thats what you got and this advice is for folks in that position. Ivan

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ivan

Try a tracker II on the beach. It has manual GB, it should out perform the others that dont have ground trac or GB....

Larry :icon_study: :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yep thats a real "old school model" -- thus the manual GB --that drove most folks nuts trying to figger out how to do it --thus the popular --"preset" units arrived ta dah!!!

dl_mooney

Jun 26, 2008
I plan on using a BH Time Ranger on the Beaches plus other areas. Think it will do a good job. dl_mooney

beached whale

Feb 9, 2008
I used the landstar in the wet sand at the beach and found a few clad ,a silver ring and 8 lead weights no trouble falsing. :o

steelerfan87

Greenie
Jul 29, 2008
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I also have a Landstar and was just at Topsail Island 2 weeks ago. I could not get into the wet sand without it going crazy. Tried all week to adjust it out with no luck. Granted I am new at MD'ing and it was my first trip to the beach with it but I tried everything with no luck. Worked great in the dry sand and the public beach parking lot.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
as I said there are spots that are simply to hard to adjust for with any "preset" ground balance type machine --- for those areas you need a manually "fully" adjustible ground balance type machine. --- but in some places the low power / sen level and in extreme cases uping the disc may help if all you got is a "preset" ground balance machine ( normally your lower end models are "preset" types.)

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
Re: things newbies need to know / tips to make a bounty hunter usible on the bea

I recently entered the metal detecting hobby and I am having a blast! I bought the tracker iv. I live at the beach and figured I would give it a try. I have used it at the beach for about 3 weeks now and here is what I have found and keep in mind I have nothing to compare this to.

In dry sand not problems at all, in fact it works great. My son got a signal that was trash, gold or a nickel. He started digging and kept digging and kept getting a signal and it kept getting louder and louder. By the time he found the target he had dug well over a foot into the sand. He pulled out a 1963 nickel. I was amazed that it had found this nickel at that depth.

I have read all the posts on here about using it in the water, here is my take with my tracker iv in the water. Mine doesn't work if I submerge the coil. It goes nuts no matter what I do. I have to let it dry out for about a hour before it goes back to normal. I think my coil might have a small leak.

Now today was the first time I hit the beach with this machine at low tide in the wet sand. It worked perfectly. I found quite a bit of change, a small toy airplane and a Chicago cubs golf ball marker all of this was buried well over 4 inches in the wet sand. I love it and now I need to get the larger coil to cover more ground.

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: things newbies need to know / tips to make a bounty hunter usible on the bea

I live in a stupidly high mineral area. I followed the advice I got on all the boards, which was the Garrett ACE 250 was the greatest thing since sliced bread. When I got it, I loved it-well built, well balanced, nice features.
Then I tried to use it here. Oops, the ace series does not do well in highly mineralized ground. Oh, look, a hot rock! ding! Ping!
It was impossible to use here. I know lots of people have tons of success with this machine, but not here.
I bought a Pioneer 101 (Tracker IV) from ebay for $60. No problems with hot rocks here! Works like a charm and practically vacuums coins out of the ground in tot lots and parks.
Later I stumbled across a 505 (Sharp Shooter II) in a pawn shop. Even better! Ground track! Depth indicator! Target ID!
Most importantly, NO PROBLEMS WITH THE MINERALS WITH EITHER MACHINE.

I traded off the ace for a Tesoro Compadre. I like that machine too. It has a few hiccups with the minerals, but it is easy to tell and ignore. It's an analog machine and is truly a killer relic machine (runs quite deep and will wear you out digging to china for a safety pin).

beerbarrel

Jun 24, 2007
Houston
Thanks for a great post Ivan! There are a lot of people who enjoy the hobby of MD'ing, but can't afford a higher price model. I would like to thank you for sharing your knowledge with everyone here!

Thanks Again
beerbarrel

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread