Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800
BH Land Ranger Pro
Vulcan 360 pinpointer
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got the nerve up to ask for permission of a place I've had my eye on. Almost 2 blocks of land.

One sections had an old house removed and what looks like two other lots that used to have houses on them.

The other section has 6 older houses that are being torn down. Haven't confirmed but I believe they may be from the 40s. So who knows what might be hiding in the dirt.

Especially since this is all around a bunch of old industrial locations and less than 100 yards off a river.

Also found a abandoned site that backs to the river that hasn't been used in years.

And there's one more and I'm going to try and get permission for that would be awesome to hunt. 1900 train depot with 3 buildings still standing.

Time to get the LRP out of the park

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool, we want pics man

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice! i have not been able to find my st permission yet, haha. good luck sounds interesting site.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would start out in C (coin) mode first to reject iron and junk where the houses stood. Usually lots of nails will drive you mad, especially without a 5" coil. Don't swing too fast. Then go back in mode 4 with only iron disced out (0-19), V-Break set to 29. You'll have 4 tones then making foil (20-29) low, med for nickels, VCO for 40-59 and high for silver.

Just a thought. Good luck, buddy. Let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
tjarrett

tjarrett

Jan 14, 2016
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800
BH Land Ranger Pro
Vulcan 360 pinpointer
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have read this before I went out there.. Lol

So many freakin beeps going on I didn't know where to start. Decided to dig a few of them and came up with a lot of aluminum cans. So before I got aggravated I decided I would leave. I can always go back.

I have to get out of that hunting a park mind set in places like that.

peeboo

Oct 5, 2015
Southeast GA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax and fisher f44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grats on your first permission, sorry to hear it was frustrating but looking forward to your post of what you find when you go back.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The bad thing about cans is that they ID a hard silver hit. The saving grace is two things:

1. Lift and lower your coil as you swing. A can won't show a lot of difference with the coil 1" off of the ground or 3-4" off of the ground, cause it's big and usually flat.

2. Hold the PP (or mode for AM) and listen to the VCO. Move the coil around to see when the VCO peaks and how long it peaks. A coin is a quick peak and a can is a little longer as you are framing the size.

Both of these come easier the more you hunt. So don't get discouraged. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the permission. Sorry to hear about all that trash, but that contemporary trash may be masking some old coins and relics. It's a site that may take time digging the trash in order for it to produce. This is another location that would be better hunted with a sniper coil in my opinion. There has got to be many sites near you that are less trashy. I bet you'll find a virgin site soon enough. The 9" x 11" stock DD is my favorite coil, but I do have a 5" DD sniper coil and a 12" x 15" S.E.F. coil.
GL & HH

OP
OP
tjarrett

tjarrett

Jan 14, 2016
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800
BH Land Ranger Pro
Vulcan 360 pinpointer
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the weather in the morning I may head back over there.. Want to try the stuff Phantasman suggested

OP
OP
tjarrett

tjarrett

Jan 14, 2016
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800
BH Land Ranger Pro
Vulcan 360 pinpointer
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm pretty sure I can just write that place off.. Way to much junk in that soil. I did try what was mentioned and it did help and managed to pull .37 cent but all modern stuff.

The land owner stopped by and I mentioned all the alum. in the ground. He said there was a lot of fill dirt brought in at one time and there's no telling what was in it.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fill dirt can work both ways, depending where it's from.

I can't tell you how many times I chalked up a site to nada. A 5" coil may have helped somewhat and ARE used for overly trashy sites. Like around pavilions in a park where something good appears in all the pull tabs.

The 11" DD screams for open field type hunting.

OP
OP
tjarrett

tjarrett

Jan 14, 2016
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800
BH Land Ranger Pro
Vulcan 360 pinpointer
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'll just write it off until I can get a 5" coil then.. Lol

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it , you will get through it . Expect to dig the trash and then when you hit something good , it will be a surprize .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread