Land Ranger Pro with 5 inch DD coil from F5....(video)

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for posting this as I have yet to purchase another coil for the LRP.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No prob man. Glad to be of service. :occasion14:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another great video.

Allow me to add something to try. In the ground test outside, the dime at 4" and quarter at 6" tried to read but the ID was off. This is the reason for the mode buttons one touch AM feature. (holding down the mode button in disc mode places the LRP in AM mode for as long as the button is held down. Releasing places it back into the previous disc mode). The ID still works, the ground balance is still the same, but the AM action increases depth, making ID a bit better. This is why the nickel on the ruler did so much better at IDing the nickel in AM.

In your soil it may not work as good as milder soil. But it does work for me in my soil (56).

It's just another feature the LRP has that many others don't.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried temp AM as well...just did not do it in the video. I'm not really sure why I didn't show AM mode in the garden...pretty glaring oversight in hindsight.

I can say the ID is no better sadly. The bad soil still raises it or lowers it by a good 15-20 and makes it jump.

Going to be doing a few park/school type hunts coming up with it...both coils. My theory is places like that with actual vegetative growth mulching back into the soil might help soften it and give better depth that my brutal backyard. We usually spray weed killer in our back yard and it is just a dry compact desert wasteland year round. Those weeds in the video are getting ready to die any day now actually. Right after I clean my garage...ahem.

Iron and lead filled soil according to USGS.....dry hard and compact....freshly buried coins. There are plenty of reasons it is not doing well.

Not giving up on her yet. Will go to some various spots around my area with it and do some depth tests...my Hori knife has inch markers...so does the Garrett Carrot. If I see some nice green grass on public property...I'm pulling over and burying a quarter at 4 and 6 inches as my markers. If it starts hitting ID and tone it better than my backyard...I'm happy.

I think that will be the case as the Lone Star Pro and SharpShooter 2 both hit coins at 4-5 inches. I simply have not put the hours in yet...had 4X the hours on the LSP and SS2. Plus...my backyard is not the end-all-be-all of depth tests. If I find a spot with nice soft soil that gives me great depth I will surely record it to "prove a point" so to speak. Plenty of digging coming up...lots to learn about it still.

hopeful_digger

Greenie
Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always enjoy your videos....keep 'em coming!

One takeaway I had from the video, was that the 5 incher passed with flying colors. No, it didn't ID the with the usual numbers, but the tones were right on the money, and would be a "dig" every time, from each direction. To me, that's passing!

I'm curious if you placed the penny in position 2, on attempts that were edited from the video? I would be interested in those results, as that is a tougher test for detectors, and wonder how the LRP would handle it.

Don't you just love the way we lurkers make requests for your future videos??? LOL

Thank you for your efforts!

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha...thanks for the kinds words man. Will put the #2 spot on a video for ya...gimme a few days. Be my pleasure. Tested it that way and it will pass tone-wise as well on most passes. :thumbsup:

100% agree that as long as it passes tone wise....especially in a iron site like that test implies....you dig on tone and not ID. I was actually good with the results. Anybody expecting the ID to stay locked on that test has unrealistic expectations for a $280 detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread