First use of my LRP and a couple questions.

muddyrock

Jun 19, 2016
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the LRP out over the weekend :icon_thumright:!! I will just link to the post I already started for the picture before I ask my questions lol,

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/507340-first-weekend-out-bounty-hunter-lrp.html#post5031076

So now a question or two,

I noticed with adult beverage twist off caps and I think even the pennies, they seem to register as dimes, is this normal?

I was hoping to find some nickles as well but if there not there than I can't dig them. I have read the LRP is not easy on the nickles. Doe this mean it doesn't like to pick up on them or the fact the LRP seams to pick up pull taps as nickels? I have been digging pretty much every tone to learn the machine any ways. The pin pointing of the LRP seams pretty well so far :icon_thumleft:

Thanks,
mr

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter/ garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes it is mine did the same thing the target I'd is funky and if it's iron the target I'd will say it's multiple stuff and sometimes if it's a really good target it will just shut off don't be worried if that happens

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No detector is exempt from misdiagnosing caps, pennies and dimes. It just happens that many share the same conductivity reading as a result of angle, soil, etc. I haven't found any issues with the LRP "loving iron" especially with 0-20 disc-ed out. Iron just happens to travel the full conductivity spectrum depending on size and what it may be combined with. Rest assured that iron nails are not seen when the iron segment is eliminated. I have had plenty of detectors in many years and find that the LRP is just as capable of "detecting metal" as any Tesoro, Garrett, Whites, whatever. Now the processing is a different story.

The LRP picks up nickels just fine. It's problem, over some others I've used, is it's ability to lock on them when more than 3-4" deep like it does on silver. There are many factors that goes into the software ID analysis. If an area is slightly weak on a factor, the results shows up when compared to other detectors that don't share that weak (factor). For the price, the LRP offers a great detecting experience and finds metal targets. Want a better software/ergonomics? Buy something twice or three times the price.

It's not about which is better. It's about what pleases you according to your investment and expectations. The LRP is not a expensive Garrett or Minelab. Nor do the powers that designed it expect it to be.

Go here and see the different tests between the LRP and other detectors, and view the scorecards. The test is a comparative using the same standards.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvw628lvEz4-yBsozovNw0Q/videos

OP
OP
muddyrock

muddyrock

Jun 19, 2016
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No detector is exempt from misdiagnosing caps, pennies and dimes. It just happens that many share the same conductivity reading as a result of angle, soil, etc. I haven't found any issues with the LRP "loving iron" especially with 0-20 disc-ed out. Iron just happens to travel the full conductivity spectrum depending on size and what it may be combined with. Rest assured that iron nails are not seen when the iron segment is eliminated. I have had plenty of detectors in many years and find that the LRP is just as capable of "detecting metal" as any Tesoro, Garrett, Whites, whatever. Now the processing is a different story.

The LRP picks up nickels just fine. It's problem, over some others I've used, is it's ability to lock on them when more than 3-4" deep like it does on silver. There are many factors that goes into the software ID analysis. If an area is slightly weak on a factor, the results shows up when compared to other detectors that don't share that weak (factor). For the price, the LRP offers a great detecting experience and finds metal targets. Want a better software/ergonomics? Buy something twice or three times the price.

It's not about which is better. It's about what pleases you according to your investment and expectations. The LRP is not a expensive Garrett or Minelab. Nor do the powers that designed it expect it to be.

Go here and see the different tests between the LRP and other detectors, and view the scorecards. The test is a comparative using the same standards.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvw628lvEz4-yBsozovNw0Q/videos

Thanks for the link, I wasn't trying to compare it to more "expensive" units. I have ready plenty of reviews of the LRP and it's capability's and based them on my decision. Just trying to learn my machine :icon_thumright:.

Yes it is mine did the same thing the target I'd is funky and if it's iron the target I'd will say it's multiple stuff and sometimes if it's a really good target it will just shut off don't be worried if that happens

Thanks for the helpful info. I do have to ask, what do you mean by "sometimes if it's a really good target it will just shut off don't be worried if that happens"?

mr

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is probably talking about the "overload" signal when an object is too close to the coil. The detector will flash two lines -- across the screen and give quick multiple beeps. It does not shut the detector down...but it will overload. The manual talks about it. Does not harm the detector at all. Large iron close to the surface will absolutely cause this. To be honest...I am not a fan of it as a feature...but can see how others would like it.

Phantasman is correct that just about every detector will read a copper penny as a clad dime. Twist tops fall into this range as well unfortunately. Without iron audio the LRP does not really have a way to tell the caps from the dime/penny. So it reads as a 64-65 and you dig it hoping for the best. One way to tell in many cases is to lift the coil one inch at a time...and to sweep at an angle. So instead of a flat sweep give it an angled sweep...almost like you are sweeping the side of a wall or hole. Angle it off some to 30-35 degrees or whatever. In theory the twist cap with start to waiver in ID before a coin does.

As far as nickels and pull tabs....same deal. Both are going to read 35 depending on the tab. Older tabs read higher into the 40's..newer ones right at 35 like a nickel. Same deal here...lift the coil an inch at a time. But for these leave the coil flat. No angle on your sweep. The nickels will start to travel DOWN the ID into the 34-33-32 range...the tabs will travel UP the ID range to 36-37-38. This works better than telling the twist caps from dimes/pennies IMO and I have great success here telling nickels from tabs. The Fisher F44 which is based on the same 13-bit Frat Bros process is exactly the same way when testing on tabs and nickels.

Best of luck.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The more you swing the coil the better you will get at IDing objects. Have you taken some coins and a couple different pull tabs and bottle caps and swung your coil over them to see what the VDI is telling you? Also listen to the tone and see if you can identify any nuances that occur when swinging over an object. I had an LRP and it is a good detector. Which mode do you use?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread