Bounty hunter Tracker IV

Myth legend

Aug 15, 2016
Lost in space
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Metal Detector, now an At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, when i was looking into metal detecting i thought it would be cool for me to join in the game of finding coins, relics, etc. Therefore i went and brought a metal detect named the Bounty Hunter Tracker Iv. I might've been cheap about it, but you buy what you can and hopefully you'll find something.

My problem is, when i look at the "Big boy" metal detectors, they have a variety of beeps and so on. But the current metal detector that i have only makes one sound, on gold, sliver (Which i haven't found yet, but i seen videos of the same thing) ETC. So far I only found $3.00, which is better than nothing.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ML, with the detector you have now, it will tell you when there
is something under the coil that is reflecting a signal back to the coil.
The machine then beeps to advise you of that.

With the more advanced units, there are different tones of the beep. This
comes after the electronics in the machine have analyzed that return signal,
and it then categorizes that return as "X", and gives you a audio tone that
defines that category.

I would suggest saving your money up and invest in a higher level machine.
Garrett makes several that are not expensive, but preform very well, and
you'll spend a lot less time digging up iron nails and junk and more time
digging targets that are much more likely to be of value.

OP
OP
M

Myth legend

Aug 15, 2016
Lost in space
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ML, with the detector you have now, it will tell you when there
is something under the coil that is reflecting a signal back to the coil.
The machine then beeps to advise you of that.

With the more advanced units, there are different tones of the beep. This
comes after the electronics in the machine have analyzed that return signal,
and it then categorizes that return as "X", and gives you a audio tone that
defines that category.

I would suggest saving your money up and invest in a higher level machine.
Garrett makes several that are not expensive, but preform very well, and
you'll spend a lot less time digging up iron nails and junk and more time
digging targets that are much more likely to be of value.

Thanks for the information I been looking at the At Pro. Do you have any suggestings

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are you located? My 1st detector was a treasure cove TC-1023. It was an El Cheapo, but did have 3 modes and 3 tones. It was a great starter detector, but could only go about 7" to 8" on a quarter in my Ohio soil. I believe I paid about $89 for it 7 years ago. I monitor the craigslist ads within a 200 mile radius of my area. I have found some great deals. Let me know where you are and I will look to see if there is an incredible buy near you. I much rather buy from a local person since you can touch it, inspect it, try it out, and get a crash course on it's features before you hand over the money.

If you can't afford much I recommend you read this recent post.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/521035-five-5-new-cheap-metal-detectors.html

I'd stay clear of no. 5

Many of these detectors would have found all the old coins I found at my 1st virgin site, since all the targets were only 5" to 7" deep.

For now I recommend you take multiple types of coins, a nail, a bottle cap and maybe a few different pull tabs and lay them out in the grass. I would set my discrimination so that the nail does not make a sound. You can then swing over each target to see if the sound is slightly different for each target. The quarter, dime and copper penny might have the same sound and yet the nickel and other targets may have a slightly different sound. Even getting a cheap pair of headphones may be needed for you to identify the slight nuances in the sound the detector is giving.

OP
OP
M

Myth legend

Aug 15, 2016
Lost in space
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you located? My 1st detector was a treasure cove TC-1023. It was an El Cheapo, but did have 3 modes and 3 tones. It was a great starter detector, but could only go about 7" to 8" on a quarter in my Ohio soil. I believe I paid about $89 for it 7 years ago. I monitor the craigslist ads within a 200 mile radius of my area. I have found some great deals. Let me know where you are and I will look to see if there is an incredible buy near you. I much rather buy from a local person since you can touch it, inspect it, try it out, and get a crash course on it's features before you hand over the money.

If you can't afford much I recommend you read this recent post.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/521035-five-5-new-cheap-metal-detectors.html

I'd stay clear of no. 5

Many of these detectors would have found all the old coins I found at my 1st virgin site, since all the targets were only 5" to 7" deep.

For now I recommend you take multiple types of coins, a nail, a bottle cap and maybe a few different pull tabs and lay them out in the grass. I would set my discrimination so that the nail does not make a sound. You can then swing over each target to see if the sound is slightly different for each target. The quarter, dime and copper penny might have the same sound and yet the nickel and other targets may have a slightly different sound. Even getting a cheap pair of headphones may be needed for you to identify the slight nuances in the sound the detector is giving.

I think i know how to use it, I didn't buy the head phones at the time... And i tried using normal ear phones, but they didn't fit so well. Do all Metal detectors have the same headphone connection, or they all have their unique only product headphones?

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some use 1/4 some use 1/8 jacks. Some detectors some Bounty hunters tel fishers have both type jacks.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the Tracker 4 I would set the disc until a zinc penny disappeared (about 2-3 oclock)....then go coin shooting for anything that sounds nice and crisp. After than for a week or so....back it off until nickels come (12 oclock or so). Realize more trash will come in now...but this is where you will learn the most.

While it is a single tone machine...the single tone can tell you plenty. Listen for the cracks and pops...that is telling you that the object might not be so awesome. Listen for the nice clean tone for the coins. Nothing wrong with it as a beginners machine....it is VERY popular the world over and has found the goods for many many users.

If you are going to step up to a better machine. I would suggest a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro....at $275 it is one of the best deals in all of detecting and feature and performance wise eat the Garrett Ace series for lunch.

F44 at $350....another great deal and weather proof to boot. Also better than Ace series...IMO anyways.

If wanting something a bit more stout....the T2 Classic at $499 is probably the 2nd best deal in detecting under the LRP.

PM me anytime...I can help you out no problem.

OP
OP
M

Myth legend

Aug 15, 2016
Lost in space
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the Tracker 4 I would set the disc until a zinc penny disappeared (about 2-3 oclock)....then go coin shooting for anything that sounds nice and crisp. After than for a week or so....back it off until nickels come (12 oclock or so). Realize more trash will come in now...but this is where you will learn the most.

While it is a single tone machine...the single tone can tell you plenty. Listen for the cracks and pops...that is telling you that the object might not be so awesome. Listen for the nice clean tone for the coins. Nothing wrong with it as a beginners machine....it is VERY popular the world over and has found the goods for many many users.

If you are going to step up to a better machine. I would suggest a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro....at $275 it is one of the best deals in all of detecting and feature and performance wise eat the Garrett Ace series for lunch.

F44 at $350....another great deal and weather proof to boot. Also better than Ace series...IMO anyways.

If wanting something a bit more stout....the T2 Classic at $499 is probably the 2nd best deal in detecting under the LRP.

PM me anytime...I can help you out no problem.

What about the At pro?

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is $590 while the Tracker is $85 on Amazon. Totally different markets and user base...and detectors. The AT Pro is waterproof and geared toward the "serious" detectorist who is going to spend plenty of time digging.

For me personally...I live in Colorado and have little desire for a waterproof machine. I have a T2 Classic ($499)...wife just got a F19 ($699) and also has a Gold Bug Pro ($450). I'd even take the F75 at $599 all day over an AT Pro.

Then again this is the Bounty Hunter forums...and I am a First Texas guy. So grain of salt I suppose....

AT Pros are proven machines and will find the goods.

OP
OP
M

Myth legend

Aug 15, 2016
Lost in space
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is $590 while the Tracker is $85 on Amazon. Totally different markets and user base...and detectors. The AT Pro is waterproof and geared toward the "serious" detectorist who is going to spend plenty of time digging.

For me personally...I live in Colorado and have little desire for a waterproof machine. I have a T2 Classic ($499)...wife just got a F19 ($699) and also has a Gold Bug Pro ($450). I'd even take the F75 at $599 all day over an AT Pro.

Then again this is the Bounty Hunter forums...and I am a First Texas guy. So grain of salt I suppose....

AT Pros are proven machines and will find the goods.

I like your facts about the F75, But once i buy this new detector i have to stick with it... Not a fan of buying new detecors and not earning the money back from it... Trying to break even with things you know what i mean. Where i live There isn't much water, just lots of land, and possible mud... Also, i seen pretty decent reviewes from the At pro so far? What makes the F75 better? Will i find more than the at pro. or the At pro beating the F75.... (I know metal dtecting is 50/50 with finding stuff)

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO...the only thing the AT Pro has over an F75 is the waterproofing. F75 is deeper...faster...better separation...better unmasking. I hear good things about the AT Pro locking ID on deep coins...so something to consider there.

Just finally used an AT Pro for about 4 hours yesterday and came away impressed. It is leaps better than the Ace 400. Can finally confirm that much.

As far as finding more with one or the other...that will not happen. They will both find the goods in the right hands. It is up to the user at that point.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. They dropped the F75 to $599? F75 is top of the line Fisher over AT being middle of the line Garrett. Just having a trigger PP says a lot.

Garrett needs to make their screens a little bigger like the FTP screens. After awhile, that small cramped with info screen gives me a headache.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. They dropped the F75 to $599? F75 is top of the line Fisher over AT being middle of the line Garrett. Just having a trigger PP says a lot.

Garrett needs to make their screens a little bigger like the FTP screens. After awhile, that small cramped with info screen gives me a headache.

Garrett-AT-Pro-Metal-Detector-Display.jpg f-75.jpg

I just think the LRP screen is a breeze and easy to read

prolr-_land-ranger-pro---faceplate__2.jpg

Hughie

Jun 25, 2016
Geneva Lakes area , Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll throw in with The Hunter GT, and not just because like it's his opinion man, nothing wrong with the Bounty Hunters. I picked up a tracker 4 yesterday for twenty dollars and all I could think was "your stupid if you don't take it at that price". I think some rich kid got it for Christmas didn't like it and sent it to Goodwill, the coil doesn't have a scratch on it! Anyway, they work as they are suppose to and can be found at resale for such a good price they are great for teaching kids with. I'd rather they had an "accident" with a fifty dollar or less machine than a more expensive one.
I think the best testament for all First Texas machines is they have a five year warranty, the electronics is the backbone of the machine and they believe in it enough to stand behind it.

Hughie

Jun 25, 2016
Geneva Lakes area , Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Hunter GT, it just dawned on me who you are...your the guy whose wife shows him what coin shootin' is all about on you tube LOL! Loved all the you tube video's. It's great to see a family out doing something as a family. I also like that the next generation is having fun finding quarters instead of stuffing them into a machine! May 2017 be a pleasant and peaceful year.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Myth legend
First Time hunt= Silver
Take a look at this old post of mine,this guy used a BH Tracker IV i took him to a good spot .
The BH Tracker IV will find whats under the coil,good machine .
Gary

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your the guy whose wife shows him what coin shootin' is all about on you tube LOL!

I have no idea what you are talking about...must be some other guy. :laughing7:

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, when i was looking into metal detecting i thought it would be cool for me to join in the game of finding coins, relics, etc. Therefore i went and brought a metal detect named the Bounty Hunter Tracker Iv. I might've been cheap about it, but you buy what you can and hopefully you'll find something.

My problem is, when i look at the "Big boy" metal detectors, they have a variety of beeps and so on. But the current metal detector that i have only makes one sound, on gold, sliver (Which i haven't found yet, but i seen videos of the same thing) ETC. So far I only found $3.00, which is better than nothing.

I also have the Tracker IV and I really like it. If you move the toggle switch to the right to the "Tone" position, the machine will give you multiple tones depending upon what metal you are hitting on. Nickels and gold will cause a low tone and copper, silver and brass will cause a higher tone. A broken tone will indicate pull tabs. (This is all covered really well in the manual and explained much better than I am doing here.)

I have owned an expensive (Over $400 back in the late 80's) Whites metal detector...the name of which escapes me...I have owned a Garret 250, and I have also owned a White's Prizm and, so far, I like the Tracker IV better than any of the other machines. I have not owned it all that long and, I am going to experiment with some ideas to fix the analog meter with either a fixed or variable resistor to keep it from pegging on every target but, other than that it ihas been a great machine for the money. Does it compare to those machines carried by the guys hunting Oak Island that cost in the thousands of dollars? No, I am sure it does not. But, since I am into electronics as a hobby, I guess I like having the control and tunability this modest machine offers. The way I figure it, if I get out and hunt enough and find things valuable enough to pay for an upgrade, then I will. Check out the manual to learn about the different tones and, if you no longer have the manual, I am sure one is probably posted online somewhere in PDF and can be downloaded, or, you might obtain one from a dealer.

Bill

Last edited:

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Prospector, which I think is the direct predecessor to the Tracker IV in the Bounty Hunter product line. It has the same controls as the Tracker IV. I've only had it for a few months, so I'm still learning. Here's my technique:

I normally run it with the mode switch on "tone", the discrimination dial at about 1/4, and the sensitivity as high as it can go without constant chatter. (Usually all the way up.) This discriminates out most iron, except for very large or round things. Other trash may be a nice high tone or a high tone mixed with a little buzz. When I hit what sounds like a good target, I keep going over it while slowly increasing the discrimination and listen for when it starts to buzz. If it buzzes around 1/2, it's probably a pull tab or a nickel. If it buzzes around 3/4, it's a zinc penny. If it's a high tone all the way to the top, it's clad or silver. I found a gold ring in all metal mode once, but that was before I learned to use the discrimination to identify things, so I don't know what it would sound like. I assume like a pull tab.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread