Bounty Hunter Time Ranger - Unboxing and Testing Review (video)

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger to test and review. A very interesting machine for under $200. I will dare say no other detector has as many buttons or features.

If you love to fiddle and nerd out on your detector...here ya go...this may be the perfect detector you.

6.8khz
1-299 target ID (yes you read that right)
All Metal Mode
Multiple Notches
Pin Pointing
Blanker and Sniff features
3 Pre Programmed Disc Modes
Smart Trac ground balancing
3 tones

Came with a 4 inch coil as well...which was an unexpected surprise. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on another good review HGT. I may be wrong, but the detectors that they made for Radio Shack had higher a High VDI range similar to this one. It seems to have decent depth, just wish it had a faster refresh. Are yu going to take it out on a hunt?

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Loco. I'm not sure about the VDI and Radio Shack connection but will take a look into it now that you have me intrigued. Recovery speed in disc mode is a drawback...but it is quite fast in AM mode. I will be taking it out for a few hunts...make a few videos from it. Probably give it away on the channel or forums after that. Give back to the community and all that good stuff. :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This Video thing is really working out, I am so glad for you. Have you hunted with the Red detector yet? I think many would like to see that and the T2 go over the same targets head to head with the red detector. I know I'd love to see that video.

I also have a suggestion for future air testing. Maybe you can bore a hole in a piece of a 2 by 4 and have the shaft held with it and then you can show the VDI as you air test it in the same shot as you sweep the coins in front of the detector.

Just a suggestion, you do what you like, I think it will add more usable info to all the viewers of your reviews.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Video thing is really working out, I am so glad for you. Have you hunted with the Red detector yet? I think many would like to see that and the T2 go over the same targets head to head with the red detector. I know I'd love to see that video.

I also have a suggestion for future air testing. Maybe you can bore a hole in a piece of a 2 by 4 and have the shaft held with it and then you can show the VDI as you air test it in the same shot as you sweep the coins in front of the detector.

Just a suggestion, you do what you like, I think it will add more usable info to all the viewers of your reviews.

That red F75 stayed in El Paso...it's not mine. Only 4 made and the marketing director was not about to give it to me lol.

Soon I will have another camera and will be shooting the display while I air test. Do a picture in picture on the videos.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another great video, THGT.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My buddy scored a Time Ranger for $80 at a local pawn shop. Thanks for another great video!!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Hunter. I found your ideo to be very fascinating and quite educational. Especially the unmasking section with the nails on the coin. I decided to test this feature out a little further and placed a screw cap and a coin, and a coin with some pull tabs and the Time Ranger was able to unmask the coin in both cases. When I place the coin with a wrench the Time Ranger was not able to unmask the quarter.

I also had a chance to compare the LRP and the TR on an iffy signal in my front yard. The LRP said it was a dime but it was very jumpy and I decided that I would have dug it. The TR pretty much locked on to the dime right away and there was really no question that I was going to dig it.

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Hunter. I found your ideo to be very fascinating and quite educational. Especially the unmasking section with the nails on the coin. I decided to test this feature out a little further and placed a screw cap and a coin, and a coin with some pull tabs and the Time Ranger was able to unmask the coin in both cases. When I place the coin with a wrench the Time Ranger was not able to unmask the quarter.

I also had a chance to compare the LRP and the TR on an iffy signal in my front yard. The LRP said it was a dime but it was very jumpy and I decided that I would have dug it. The TR pretty much locked on to the dime right away and there was really no question that I was going to dig it.

I was hoping to find out more on the comparisons of the two..if you happen to discover more differences between the two I sure would like to here more. How do they compare on separation, recovery and depth comparisons does one have more advantage over the other, and does the LRP have the sniff and blanker options as the TR has, just curious, and if you were to pick one over the other what would it be?

Thanks!

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Time Ranger (Titan 9000) is a mysterious machine. It really is feature packed and does some amazing things for the price. Most people see the older 6.6khz muffler on a stick and scoff at it...but it really is a deep machine according to those that use it. Almost everybody who touches one proclaim it as a true sleeper unit. I've seen guys with very nice $600-700+ machines still talk up their Time Rangers. Obviously they do something right.

I do think the Land Ranger pro is better and it would be my choice. It is MUCH faster in disc mode and allows for a better "fine tune" in the Disc 2/3/4 settings. It also separates much better than the Time Ranger. The display on the LRP is much easier to read as well. The Time Ranger is about the most difficult LCD to read in all of detecting.

The LRP does not have the blanker or sniff, but they are not features I see myself using on a regular basis. The LRP has a deeper AM and disc mode...in air tests anyways. Several inches.

That being said I will admit the Time Ranger CAN unmask objects the LRP cannot. Hell...the Time Ranger can unmask objects the EuroTek/F19/Gold Bug cannot.

If it had a faster speed in disc...and tightened up the crazy 0-299 ID to 0-99....and added 2-3 inches to tests....it would be a tougher decision.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, the LRP would be my choice also. The only reason I've had this one to play with is because my buddy scored it for $80. I was impressed with the unmasking with small objects near or in top of the quarter I tested with. As I said the wrench was too much for the unmasking capabilities and the unit was silent.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A wrench is a pretty hardcore object to see past. Not sure how many detectors could do it. Was the coin buried a few inches under the wrench or did you place it directly on top?

I might toy around with larger objects like that. Be interesting to see results from different detectors. I usually just use nails/tabs/caps.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I replicated your cardboard boxes test bed and had a myriad of objects on the kitchen table. The wrench isn't huge, by wrench standards, only a 7/16 so maybe 4" long. Just gotta see what the machine would do.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks both for posting your thoughts and opinions on the two, as THGT mentioned the sniff and the blanker was something rarely used, as I thought something maybe like an 'audio iron feature' like the Garrett has, but seems entirely or somewhat different. Also looking what else the LRP has to offer in discrimination and seperation so thanks for your thoughts on this and wanted to see how much more of the 'unmasking' was if one was debating over the TR vs going with the LRP from other detectorist comparisons.

Thanks for posting this.

Last edited:

Doc Chocobo

Greenie
Nov 20, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Timeranger
HF9F
Micronta 4003 (way back in the day)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Loco. I'm not sure about the VDI and Radio Shack connection but will take a look into it now that you have me intrigued. Recovery speed in disc mode is a drawback...but it is quite fast in AM mode. I will be taking it out for a few hunts...make a few videos from it. Probably give it away on the channel or forums after that. Give back to the community and all that good stuff. :occasion14:
You're right about all metal mode. That thing's a beast!

I only recently started playing with that and even on the 4 inch coil, that thing Roars like a beast even at lower depths if you crank up the sensitivity a bit. It also makes headphones something useful.

I did a lot of research on Amazon a while back and feature for feature for the money it seems like one of the better decisions. I'm very glad I bought this I wasn't disappointed

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread