SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone mod their Land Ranger Pro yet?

I added backlights and relocated the pinpoint button today.

Pinpoint Button Relocation
This mod only needs two small wires (26 gauge) and a SPST momentary switch that is normally open. Three holes need to be drilled, one in the bottom of the control head and two in the S handle. Two solder connections on the main board are shown in the video below. A very easy modification for enhanced ease of use. I am sure this would be the same for the Quick Draw Pro and the Lone Star Pro.

Adding Backlights
This mod needs two LED's, some small 26 gauge wire and a switch. The switch can DPDT or SPST. One hole will need to be drilled in the control head for the switch and two solder connections to the main board for the 5 volts to power the LED's. This particular power connection that I used will turn off with the detector so no worries about leaving the lights on when not in use. There are other voltage sources on the board but they stay powered when the detector was off. More details in the videos below.

Total darkness testing...

Field testing...

Under the Hood...

Added a white drinking straw as a light diffuser...
DSC_0695_zpsjcojygvk.jpg

DSC_0698_zpsbm3j2vnw.jpg

Last edited:

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The backlights are awesome!!!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty awesome man. Very nice job.

OP
OP
N5XTR

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all, I have been wanting to do this for a while and finally got the job mostly done. I am still searching for a decent diffuser for the LEDs to improve the light distribution over the display.

Now for the disclaimer.
I am not responsible if you decide to undertake these modifications and void your warranty or destroy your detector. Please do not send me your detector to be modified. I already have a few that asked me to mod theirs. Sorry but I do not have the time.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice follow through. I had wanted to do something similar with the PP button. My idea involved incorporating a DPDT toggle switch like a trigger. Pulling into the momentary mode activated the PP feature, but pushing it forward activated the "hold Mode for AM" feature.

But my pie in the sky idea is nothing compared to your success. Good job. :notworthy:

OP
OP
N5XTR

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice follow through. I had wanted to do something similar with the PP button. My idea involved incorporating a DPDT toggle switch like a trigger. Pulling into the momentary mode activated the PP feature, but pushing it forward activated the "hold Mode for AM" feature.

But my pie in the sky idea is nothing compared to your success. Good job. :notworthy:

Hey, that would work Phantasman and is just as easy as what I did with the pinpoint button just add one more wire.

I did hunt several times this week and the PP button is such a delight to use now. I also added a white straw in between the LEDs. The LEDs are in each end of the straw and pointed at each other so the straw disperses the light better. Pics added to OP.

Last edited:

tjarrett

Jan 14, 2016
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800
BH Land Ranger Pro
Vulcan 360 pinpointer
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice mods.. Love the pp switch

Treasuretrooper

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Quicksilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, you're a regular MacGyver. Love the PP. The button drives me nuts.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The LRP is fast at recovery, you don't even need the PP button if you circle the target (like a Tesoro). Especially in AM, which is awesome on the LRP (with TID readout and depth).

OP
OP
N5XTR

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The LRP is fast at recovery, you don't even need the PP button if you circle the target (like a Tesoro). Especially in AM, which is awesome on the LRP (with TID readout and depth).

I circle the targets quite a bit when hunting, like a buzzard. I am so used to it before I relocated the PP button.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After being a big fan of the LRP I was recently disappointed by the pinpoint membrane failure. It hasn't changed my mind on First Texas Products in general. My F75 LTD still leads my pack of machines, and I'm anxious to see what they come out with next, but unfortunately I'm done with the LRP for now. I don't know if the Ameritek version will fare much better, but I'll be watching the forums to see and hoping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N5XTR

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
☠ Cipher;5362868 said:
After being a big fan of the LRP I was recently disappointed by the pinpoint membrane failure. It hasn't changed my mind on First Texas Products in general. My F75 LTD still leads my pack of machines, and I'm anxious to see what they come out with next, but unfortunately I'm done with the LRP for now. I don't know if the Ameritek version will fare much better, but I'll be watching the forums to see and hoping.
I will be watching the Liberator threads also. My LRP was handed down to my 13 year old son and I am swinging the MX Sport. I still think the LRP/Liberator is a good machine even with this button issue. Unfortunately the problem has now affected the ground grab button on my LRP.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will be watching the Liberator threads also. My LRP was handed down to my 13 year old son and I am swinging the MX Sport. I still think the LRP/Liberator is a good machine even with this button issue. Unfortunately the problem has now affected the ground grab button on my LRP.

Yeah. The BH monoplane face on the Pros aren't the best. FTP should make it better even if the price went up a few bucks. Then offer an upgrade on older units for $19.95. I'd send mine in.

But now that they have screened that new Liberator face for the LRP, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I grabbed an MX too. Very happy with it now they've fixed everything. I love how hot it runs. High gain machine like my F75. If I have my facts straight, it's based on the very successful MXT platform, which was developed by Dave Johnson some time ago. Same guy who developed the F75/T2. First Texas acquired a gem right there. Anxiously awaiting the next machine from them too.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. The BH monoplane face on the Pros aren't the best. FTP should make it better even if the price went up a few bucks. Then offer an upgrade on older units for $19.95. I'd send mine in.

But now that they have screened that new Liberator face for the LRP, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I'm with you there. It's not the first LRP this happened to with me, and I'm very gentle with anything electronic. I'm not one of those guys that say "hey, I USE my equipment." I take great care of my machines. The last LRP started acting different concurrent with the pinpoint failure. You'd have to press it hard to get it to engage and it would disengage almost as fast. Idk, but it was my 3rd one. The issue with the first two was minor but noticeable. It's not why I sold them, but they both showed signs of premature wear. The last one was just not practical to use anymore for someone who values that function. I sold it cheap to someone who didn't mind the issue and could swap the coil with their QDP if need be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread