Land ranger pro first impressions

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So today i waited impatiently for the ups man with a brand new 9 volt and my knife to slice open the box. Once it arrived I went to a local park to see how it worked and boy was i discouraged. First I struggled with false signals which in time i found turning down the sensitivty down helped. I was also getting quite a few hits in the upper 80's to mid 90's and could never find them the PP mode would always say 10 so do i need a excavator with this thing or what. coming from the quik silver to this thing is a large leap with a pretty steep learning curve, I had a hard time pin pointing and found myself expanding my holes to find what i was after. I found the mode C the easiest to use but still struggled. So after coming home to lick my wounds and read some tutorials and reviews i guess ill have to give it another go tomorrow. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated...

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on getting the LRP! It's a wonderful detector and it will take a little time to get used to it. I don't use the coin, artifact, jewelry, modes or the disc 2 and 3 very much. I use all metal and disc 4 because you can manually ground balance the detector. The LRP goes deepest in all metal mode. Do your own tests with coins, pull tabs, foil and iron so you can hear the sound the machine makes and read the number on the display. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions!!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a bit surprised to hear your difficulties. First off check your ground balance. Look to see if you are in an area with overhead power lines. Are you bringing with you any electrical devices that might radiate distortion? You just may be in an area where the soil is very bad. Select other areas like maybe a tot lot or sand volleyball court where the digging is easy and bury a couple of pieces of your pocket change and practice. good luck

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So today i waited impatiently for the ups man with a brand new 9 volt and my knife to slice open the box. Once it arrived I went to a local park to see how it worked and boy was i discouraged. First I struggled with false signals which in time i found turning down the sensitivty down helped. I was also getting quite a few hits in the upper 80's to mid 90's and could never find them the PP mode would always say 10 so do i need a excavator with this thing or what. coming from the quik silver to this thing is a large leap with a pretty steep learning curve, I had a hard time pin pointing and found myself expanding my holes to find what i was after. I found the mode C the easiest to use but still struggled. So after coming home to lick my wounds and read some tutorials and reviews i guess ill have to give it another go tomorrow. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated...

Did you get a good ground ballance?

80 to 90 represents very small rusty iron where i hunt.. pinpointing at 10 would make sense that it is small rusty iron.

i always park hunt in disc 3, discrimination around 18 or 19, no notch... sens at 10. less if you get EMI

also, keep in mind.. you are going from a concentric coil to a double D coil.. big difference in pinpointing. read all you can in the metal detecting, brands, bounty hunter area here.. lots of good info.

The LRP is a good machine...

Last edited:

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin mode is the easiest. Many detectors will falsely identify aluminum or really rusty iron in the coin range. The coin mode C should eliminate the most common items, iron, foil, pull tabs, for you. Start on coin mode with Sens around 5 or 6 and work a small patch of your yard from different angles. Metal detecting is an exercise in communication, mostly listening, and you are now learning a new language. Be patient and take your time!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get to know the machine. I recommend you watch TheHunterGT's videos on the LRP as well as other's videos. You did take a leap from a basic machine to one with many options that come standard on more expensive machines. I'd start in one of the default modes without any tweaking until you get more familiar with it. Would you consider yourself more of a coin shooter or relic hunter? I do both but am a coin shooter at heart. When I first got my F4 which was an upgrade from a detector similar to the one you were using, I wanted to find coins. I disc'd out everything and notched nickels back in. As I got more experience I began to discriminate less. 3 years later and I only disc out the lower half of iron, but I do like my 3 or 4 tones over the VCO sounds. Give it a chance and do not run it to hot (too high of sensitivity) all detectors will false when going over rutty soil, hitting a stem, or when you have uneven sweeps at the end of your swing. You can reduce the falsing by lowering the sensitivity. I got pretty good at determining if my detector was falsing by watching where I swing the coil.

Good Luck and I want to see some of your finds from an LRP hunt.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always had gb issues as I was unsure how to do it after leaving the BH 202 which is real close to your quick silver machine. Trashy parks and bad soil will also mess you up. Consider all your sites new and start off with low sens. I am not familiar with the Ranger. So will learn as you post here.

OP
OP
K

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah maybe my next trip will be somewhere with less trash of course I ran right out to a site where i thought I would have the best finds an old dance pavillion trolley station with a drained lake from about 1890 I had really high hopes. I watched a few videos and seems like most people use mode 4 im not much for the VCO part of it but might get used to it. I did find one of the 90 signals was a old piece of granite wear i believe about 7 inches down. It definitely goes alot deeper than my quiksilver might need a bigger shovel my hand trowel wasnt cutting it. If I keep struggling I might ditch the DD coil for a bit until i figure out the machine because my concentric coil from the quiksilver will plug in..thanks for you guys help hope to post some quality finds soon unfortunately we are headed back into winter here....

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your other coil may plug in, but it may not function properly as the 2 detectors operate on different frequencies.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a useful bit of information on the DD coil. I hope it helps! The electrical field that the concentric coil has is like a pointed ice cream cone with the point being about as deep as the size of the coil. An 8" concentric coil will go about 8" for smaller objects and you have to really overlap and criss cross the ground you are detecting. Larger objects can be deeper than 8".

The DD coil is more like a blade shape that is as long as the coil is and it also goes as deep as the size of the coil.

Metal Detecting World has so many useful articles for beginners and experts!

Double-D Search Coils

OP
OP
K

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was reluctant but I went out and used the 11" coil and finally had the sucess i was looking for still a little off on my pinpointing but getting much better and definitely finding deeper targets than I ever did with the old quik silver got a wheat today some silver plate, a few old bullets and what appears to be a old makeup container way better than the two pull tabs I stumbled across before I can see a new love for this thing growing..

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The LRP is a really amazing detector for the money! Glad to hear that you are having better success!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Concentric Coils.jpg

Double-D.jpg

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do they have plug in coils or threaded coupler ?

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LRP = push in connector...no threads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread