verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read a thread here that said that people may have a hard time finding nickels with the LRP. We had some heavy rain here near Pittsburgh, and the sun came out for awhile so i decided to sweep my yard again with the Shrew coil. I dug a few pieces of a small hunk of foil that bounced all over the VDI and a really mangled piece of aluminum that hit a hard 55-56 and didn't budge. Then I hit an iffy signal that was mostly nickel, but nudged aluminum, about 3 inches down was a nickel! I also pulled a 1937 wheat out of the front yard.

I may go hit the farm fields for awhile before dark.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dug quite a few nickels with mine... I hunt in disc 3 with low discrimination; usually lest than 19-18.. and dig everything somewhat repeatable. The problem I have with the last few places I hunted is the variety of pull tabs.. a lot will hit close to nickel. I've had multiple nickels hit just above and below some of the pull tabs.. so, I have to dig everything.

If I were trying to notch out pulltabs; I don't think i would ever dig a nickel.. to close.

I started with Tesoro; so.. I tend to hunt with my vdi machines the same way.. beeb and dig.

Also... I refuse to miss the chance for gold; to hardheaded. So, that pretty much means I'll dig every nickel and pull tab.

I'm going to buy the NEL Sharpshooter soon; looking forward to rehunting my spots with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting in all metal mode. One of these days I'll try the other disc modes!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't hunted in all metal mode yet.. I think my current spots are way to junky.. but, I've got a few ares that I'm wanting to try with all metal as soon as the snow melts.

OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My backup preference is Disc 4. I haven't really had the need to tinker with the programmable modes yet. I suppose that one day the need will arise. Disc 4 seems to offer the most performance of all the disc modes. I've noticed that if I run in coin, the machine seems to slow down a bit. The LRP runs really good in all metal, although the constant iron signals get a little annoying after awhile!

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be nice if you could use v break in all metal.. I don't think you can? If I could, I would have a problem using all metal exclusively..

OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No Vbreak in AM. I don't think you can Ground Balance in any modes other than AM and D4 and the Ground Balance feature is pretty awesome!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The detector can be ground balanced in Disc mode if my memory serves me. I used to disc zero and ground grab on a silent patch and then put the disc up to kill half the iron. and hunted with tones. You lose some depth in disc mode, but I was okay with that.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LRP can be ground balanced in Disc 2-3-4 and AM mode by pressing the "Ground Grab" button and pumping the coil until the number steadies. In AM mode it can be manually adjusted.

Disc C, J and A...the ground balance is set at 82.

OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just reread my manual and I was mistaken!

stevei48

Oct 3, 2015
Mckeesport Pa.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter land ranger pro
vibra probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Verbious it looks like we are almost neighbors. I live down the road in Boston along the bike trail. I just ordered a shrew coil, for my LRP. I have 2 old farms to hunt on they are littered with iron. I am hoping the shrew coil helps me pull out something besides scrap metal. I only got out once last year. to many projects I hope to change that this year.

OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've spent a lot of time on the bike trail. I'm sure I've passed your house a bunch of times! The Shrew is an amazing col.

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seem to have to opposite problem ive only had mine out three times so far but i cant seem to find a dime tried digging every dime signal i get and its always something else many bullets and casings no dimes..

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seem to have to opposite problem ive only had mine out three times so far but i cant seem to find a dime tried digging every dime signal i get and its always something else many bullets and casings no dimes..

Most all detectors with segments are going to generalize. Keep in mind that the "dime" segment covers a lot of metals that have the same conductivity as a dime, quarter, etc. The numbers are a little more accurate, but again, a generalized reading. As you take more time learning, you will start circling your target, hitting it from different angles, raising and lowering the coil in some instances. A properly placed can, can show up as a quarter. Lift the coil a bit, and a quarter will disappear while the big can still may say quater 8" above the ground. It takes time, but the LRP dollar for dollar, cannot be beat. It will hold it's own against any detector in the sub $700 range. It is fast, it is informative and it is deep. But, like most all detectors, it takes time to understand it. Once you click with the machine, you get a smile on your face and say to yourself "wow, I get it".

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit my favorite high school lawn with the LRP today...results, 11 pennies (passed up a lot), no nickels, 17 dimes, 5 quarters. The LRP is good on high coins and has good depth, but it's very weak on nickels; I've only dug three so far out of maybe 400 coins. Its biggest fault which makes nickels hard to find is that it usually doesn't lock on a target, but gives widely varying VDI numbers pass to pass. Oh, and the motion pinpoint function is nearly useless. On the other hand, the running zone-depth reading more than makes up for the bad pinpointing; love that feature. And it gets better depth than my F5 using the same coils (I have the old push-in connector version of the F5, and can interchange freely).

One question, does anybody else have problems with headphones losing connection with the LRP? I have Jolly Rogers and they frequently go silent and have to be re-plugged in. No such problems with my other machines. I haven't tried other plugs just yet.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold my 2nd LRP to a buddy now that I have a Teknetics Liberator (same machine) that I am keeping. I will throw up a nickel hunt video soon and show a few tricks I have learned. I'll post it here. Give me a week or two.

Nickels ring 35 on my Liberator...if the ID goes high to 36-37 it is likely a pull-tab. If it lowers on ID to 34-33...it is likely a nickel. Works for me 90%+ of the time with all Greek 7.7khz machines with DD coils.

Never had a PP issue on both LRP's or the Liberator...works perfect. I have strong thumbs perhaps.

Concentric coil is easy nickel hunting on a 7.7khz...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions