Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
Try Scotch Taping 3 nickels together will generally equal a american $5 dollar gold piece. This is the most common gold piece found due to large numbers minted.

bdecriscio

Jun 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try Scotch Taping 3 nickels together will generally equal a american $5 dollar gold piece. This is the most common gold piece found due to large numbers minted.

Cal G, Would the taping be like stacked coins or for butted together?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I think that you will find that gold will read all over the map. It really depends on the specific alloy, rather than just the fineness (purity) of the gold, or the size of the object. A .800 fine gold coin will read very differently if the remaining 20% is copper vs silver vs other metals. A larger gold coin (or other object) will frequently have a different ID than a smaller one of the same alloy.

Taping a short stack of nickels together can approximate the reading of some gold coins. At other times, the same technique will get a multiple target chatter, even with the same detector.

The best technique I have ever found is to dig everything. My first detector, a big black box White’s 6000 taught me that. Yes, I dug a lot of junk. Such is life.

Time for more coffee.

deserthoag

Greenie
Oct 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal G, Would the taping be like stacked coins or for butted together?
hite
Yes 3 stacked for a American $5 dollar. Generally in screwcap range. Look on the Whites forum for Whites VDI for a scale of 5,10,and 20 dollar gold pieces. Forget the numbers just look at the range. one thing to keep in mind is all the other foreign gold coins such as krugerrands 1/10th oz., will read different. A gold coin made into a pendant or in a 14k coin holder pendant. These all will read different than what we would see on the scale for gold coins. Heck, somebody has to find them, it may as well be us. Good luck and HH Cal

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig all targets with a solid or a target ID that only varies by 1 2 digits. All 5 of the gold rings and small pocket watch rang in like what I described. I never dug any gold when I used the LRP but I'm sure it would react the same as my F75LTD.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
galenrog is right and "Loco" as usual has great advice, dig all hard hitting signals with this machine, and yes gold coins are all over the map for what they can read. Dependent on the type of ground, the type of gold, the size of the gold target and the depth, all create a vast array of signal readings. Fun machine and a very capable one as well.
Good luck and stay gold
Opie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread