verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never used the 202, just other BH detectors. I've used a Tracker IV, pioneer 1000, Lone Star, Time Ranger, and the Land Ranger Pro.

Have you air tested various metals to hear what they sound like as a reference? Often times things will sound different when they are in the ground. With most detectors there are very subtle differences in the tone and having headphones is very important.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cgage99

cgage99

Mar 31, 2017
Sand Springs, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I have turned the coil up in the air and listened to different coins and stuff. I do get a lot of hits when I'm out in the field. But there is a lot of foil and buried pop cans. I need to learn my settings on disc and sensitivity. I'm new to detecting and so far I haven't been anywhere but around the home

Sent from my LGUK410 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
to start out, set your disc at 11 o'clock and your sensitivity ot 3 o'clock and go hit a park. If you get a strong high tone, continue to swing over it slowly raising it up if you are 9 inches or more above the target, it is more than likely a can.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looking at the 202, it looks somewhat similar to my lone star. Do you have the manual?

The All metal mode will give the greatest depth, and you will detect every single piece of metal that is in the ground. The Disc setting will allow you to turn the Disc knob and "eliminate" objects as you rotate the knob counter clockwise. Some very rusty iron objects or bigger pieces of aluminum will give you a signal that sounds like silver on the detector, but is not. Do not be discouraged by this, it happens to the very best of detectors.

Here's a video:

OP
OP
cgage99

cgage99

Mar 31, 2017
Sand Springs, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was getting a little discouraged. I thought I had it figured out in my head but I didn't know what I thought I knew. I've changed the disc but not the sensitivity. If it wasn't storming here right now, I would run out and try it out

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's gonna take some time for sure! That thing speaks a language that is all new to you. It will take some time to master it!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cut my teeth on the Quick Draw 2, which is the exact same thing as your machine. For starters, the notch feature is nearly worthless, in my opinion. I never used it. With the discrimination set at 9:00, it should be the right amount to get rid of nails. I always ended up setting mine there and digging everything that sounded good.

That machine is super hot on dimes. It loves them. Also, I noticed that nearly always when the tone bounces from high to mid, it's a pull tab or a square tab. You just have to get out there and dig. That's the only way you're going to get to know the machine. After a while, you'll notice similarities in the way the machine reacts, and will be able to call targets appropriately.

It's a good starter machine. It will teach you the fundementals and find the goods. Mine paid for itself, a Garrett Carrot, and my used M6 within 7 months. I was immediately obsessed with metal detecting, however, and went every chance I had. Your results may vary. Keep after it. You'll have it down pat in no time.

OP
OP
cgage99

cgage99

Mar 31, 2017
Sand Springs, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad I didn't waste my money on my 202. I am really excited to get out swinging this weekend. I am gonna try out all I have been learning from you all. Thanks for the advice

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run mine in all metal with the sensitivity set as hot as the machine will take it, then mostly ignore the visuals and dig by tone. I usually only dig quarters and nickels when hunting clad, the depth meter is off a lot and there is no pinpoint mode so zeroing in on a target takes some practice. I've been using mine for about 10 years and it's paid for itself repeatedly, for the initial investment I think it's one heck of a machine, at least mine is. Here's a YouTube video about hunting with a 202. https://youtu.be/1INrtuWnv2c :headbang:

bilder

May 16, 2017
Southwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Teknetics Patriot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just scored a 202 for 25 bucks. The thing is practically new.

First time with a BH machine. Will get out this week and see what she does.

OP
OP
cgage99

cgage99

Mar 31, 2017
Sand Springs, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems like every time I am able to go out lately to do some hunting, it is raining or flooded. Its driving me nuts. I have a park I want to go check out and cant get a good chance to do it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread