An Apology...

bilder

May 16, 2017
Southwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Teknetics Patriot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to think of Bounty Hunter as toys or cheap detectors that did not really work.

I picked up a Pioneer 202 at a yard sale yesterday for 25 bucks. Figured it would scratch the itch till I could get a "real" detector.

In just under three hours of working my yard, I have found 7 wheaties, a couple vintage metal toys, and a pin dated 1914.

I am sorry. These machines really work. Still learning this particular machine, but so far I am more than pleased with how it is performing.
IMG_20170522_151201334.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the nice find. Many of us started with lower end detectors, Here ia a pic i used back in 2014.
61hmT77btvL__SL1500_.jpg

A TC 1023 which paid for itself in 60 days, then I upgraded to a used mid-level Fisher F4. Make that thing pay for itself. You will learn more about basic detecting with a basic unit.

Welcome to the obsession. GL & HH

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome back to your new addiction!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No telling what you'll find after you step up!:laughing7:
Congrats on the digs.... that pin is really cool

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good way to start. I began my detecting journey with the quick draw 2, which is the same as your machine. That's a good detector to break-in with. It will teach you the fundamentals and find the goods.

Some people may look down their noses at the bounty hunter line, but in seven months, mine paid for itself, a Garrett pinpointer, and my second-hand M6.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep....I use the K.I.S.S. method when metal detecting "keep it simple stupid"...lol.

I've tried a couple of high end detectors and hated them and settled on my Tesoro DeLeon as an every day machine.
basically a single tone beep and dig machine because it works.

Same thing for the Bounty Hunter line no fancy bells and whistles.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
B

bilder

May 16, 2017
Southwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last find of the day.
IMG_20170522_200853307.jpg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with the bounty hunter time ranger(old version), i found many flat buttons a 1804 one duit coin and all sorts of fun stuff with it. Not a bad machine for the 175 I payed for it. Yet I would never ever go back after using my mx sport.

Jul 25, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. It may be cheap but it works.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep....I use the K.I.S.S. method when metal detecting "keep it simple stupid"...lol.

I've tried a couple of high end detectors and hated them and settled on my Tesoro DeLeon as an every day machine.
basically a single tone beep and dig machine because it works.

Same thing for the Bounty Hunter line no fancy bells and whistles.

Regards + HH

Bill
Bill, always a blast to read of another DeLeon lover. The great unknown.

OP
OP
B

bilder

May 16, 2017
Southwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20170529_091315415_HDR.jpg

My yard is now giving up foreign coins. Chinese perhaps?

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'tis better to have the worst detector around than to have no detector at all.
Marvin

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could take my BH 202 and do just about everything I do now. Looking in my work shop, I have 4k in detectors and equipment. Love that ol beep and dig. Gave it to a friend who needed parts when his died. Im sure he is still out hunting me.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You can not tell ones but a VLF detector is a VLF detector no matter what brand they all will get about the same depth.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
George Payne created Bounty Hunter to provide an easier way for anyone to afford a good metal detector.. First Texas has continued Paynes philosophy.

Bounty Hunters are great coin and jewelry machines. I have had many name brands of detectors. I played that game of detector roulette, switching, paying more to get that extra inch or two depth, lights, bells, whistles. I finally got so discouraged then realized my simple units were the best. And my two BHs are all I need to have a great time. If you read the forums, you'll see more crying and complaining about their new $1500 unit not living up to expectations, or being sent back, or not getting as deep, etc. etc. For $25, you are already ahead of the game.

Greed hits this hobby hard. Enjoy what you find in the 7" range. The place you hunt is more important than the depth you get. People have found fortunes at 6" or less.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BH machines WILL find treasure. They're not depth monsters but for the money they do work.
I started out with a 30 dollar Tracker IV. I found a 10K ring in my 1st hour and I've been hooked ever since. I used three different BH units and they all found lots of treasure.

I've left BH machines behind but I'll always respect them. They got me heavily interested in this hobby and all of them paid for themselves several times over.

OP
OP
B

bilder

May 16, 2017
Southwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave my BH to a friend and upgraded to a Teknetics Patriot. The Patriot is hitting the deep and masked targets the Bounty Hunter missed in my yard. The response time of the Patriot is amazing. Bounty Hunter will find stuff but I know now that it does struggle with trash too close to the good targets.

My friend is finding some neat things in his yard with the 202. Once he is done I will go over the area with the Patriot and see what else is lurking beneath the surface.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually gave my very 1st BH Tracker IV to an 8 year old kid last Christmas; the son of a girl I was dating at the time. He loves it.
I saw him maybe a month ago and he told me it's THE BEST present he's ever gotten in his life. That made me feel really good.

Metal detecting is a fantastic hobby get kids started with. I'm hoping it'll be a lifelong passion.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gave my BH to a friend and upgraded to a Teknetics Patriot. The Patriot is hitting the deep and masked targets the Bounty Hunter missed in my yard. The response time of the Patriot is amazing. Bounty Hunter will find stuff but I know now that it does struggle with trash too close to the good targets.

My friend is finding some neat things in his yard with the 202. Once he is done I will go over the area with the Patriot and see what else is lurking beneath the surface.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Makes sense, since the Patriot/F70 costs $200 more (and used to cost much more). The extra "oomph" is in a process different than the Fratbros line. F70-F75 is in a class of it's own, and for the "state of the art" enthusiast wanting the full monty. Fisher will eventually (soon) introduce a detector class that will improve even on the F70-F75 line, which is the reason for the price drops.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread