All Treasure Hunting

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bounty hunter detectors aren't known for their detecting depth, but that deep you would be best to get a two box detector as any regular detector probably won't get that depth. You might get that deep with a PI detector for an object that size. HH

OP
OP
K

Kilonova3

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bounty hunter detectors aren't known for their detecting depth, but that deep you would be best to get a two box detector as any regular detector probably won't get that depth. You might get that deep with a PI detector for an object that size. HH

i noticed somewhere in the manual or perhaps just the product description on Amazon that the detector would be able to get a hit on "larger targets" down to 2 feet deep. one of the customer reviews even said they had found a target at 3 ft. it seemed like a genuine review. if the detecting depth could possibly reach that deep on larger targets, then it would seem possible that a box of gold could possibly produce a hit at 4 feet right? or at the very least 2 feet? i know its a hard question to answer because of all the variables to consider

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i noticed somewhere in the manual or perhaps just the product description on Amazon that the detector would be able to get a hit on "larger targets" down to 2 feet deep. one of the customer reviews even said they had found a target at 3 ft. it seemed like a genuine review. if the detecting depth could possibly reach that deep on larger targets, then it would seem possible that a box of gold could possibly produce a hit at 4 feet right? or at the very least 2 feet? i know its a hard question to answer because of all the variables to consider
One sure fire way to be 100% sure, is to bury a 1x2 box full of junk metal at the target depth and test your detector.

OP
OP
K

Kilonova3

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One sure fire way to be 100% sure, is to bury a 1x2 box full of junk metal at the target depth and test your detector.

thats a good idea. but would you say a 1x2 box of junk metal would be just as likely to detect as a 1x2 box of solid gold bars at any given depth or would the gold bars produce a much stronger signal?

Last edited:

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thats a good idea. but would you say a 1x2 box of junk metal would be just as likely to detect as a 1x2 box of solid gold bars at any given depth or would the gold bars produce a much stronger signal?
Well you probably don't have a pile of gold bars laying around so..... Having said that, you want to test for depth. There are many things that will have an effect on that. Size of the object and soil conditions. I would did the hole, make the wooden box and fill it with iron, pop cans, some big balls of foil and then start covering it up a foot at a time and then swing the detector over it. I would also make sure there is no metal in the dirt that has been removed. Good luck and let us know how the test works out!

OP
OP
K

Kilonova3

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you probably don't have a pile of gold bars laying around so..... Having said that, you want to test for depth. There are many things that will have an effect on that. Size of the object and soil conditions. I would did the hole, make the wooden box and fill it with iron, pop cans, some big balls of foil and then start covering it up a foot at a time and then swing the detector over it. I would also make sure there is no metal in the dirt that has been removed. Good luck and let us know how the test works out!

yea it should be fairly obvious that i dont have a pile of gold bars at this point, but one of these days (law of attraction :laughing7:). i guess my main question was if solid gold bars would somehow produce a much stronger ability to be detected by the detector at any given depth. i figured they would since they would be solid dense metals and have the higher conductivity of gold. it just seems like they would produce a stronger magnetic field than a box of say junk steel for example, therefore the detector would have a much easier time getting a hit at deeper depths... is that sort of reasoning accurate or am i misunderstanding the way these things work? sorry it took a while to clarify my main question

Last edited:

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yea it should be fairly obvious that i dont have a pile of gold bars at this point, but one of these days (law of attraction :laughing7:). i guess my main question was if solid gold bars would somehow produce a much stronger ability to be detected by the detector at any given depth. i figured they would since they would be solid dense metals and have the higher conductivity of gold. it just seems like they would produce a stronger magnetic field than a box of say junk steel for example, therefore the detector would have a much easier time getting a hit at deeper depths... is that sort of reasoning accurate or am i misunderstanding the way these things work? sorry it took a while to clarify my main question
I hoped you got my humor there! The bigger the item, the easier it is to be detected at greater depths. The tracker 4 only gives you a few noises. I found a very large and rusted ceramic coated pot buried in my yard at almost a foot deep and the signal sounded loud and clear. There are different conductive properties of gold. Gold rings and smaller bits of gold sounds like foil and pull tabs. Larger gold items may sound off as a high tone. There is a relationship between size, distance, and sound.

carl de angelo

Tenderfoot
Nov 17, 2017
dothan al
Detector(s) used
RS discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
book says if you discrim iron you might miss gold. so all metal on a motor head at three foot should be within 10% of a gold reading.

OP
OP
K

Kilonova3

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
book says if you discrim iron you might miss gold. so all metal on a motor head at three foot should be within 10% of a gold reading.

yea thats why i was thinking if you have discrimination all the way down, the sensitivity all the way up and the setting on "all metal" you could probably get a hit on a box full of gold bars at 4 feet deep under favorable ground conditions. it seems likely if people are making recoveries of big pieces of junk metal at 3 feet, which you see multiple examples of in the Amazon reviews and other websites.

so if you have identified a target using deeper penetrating equipment, you can use this device as a cheap way to confirm that the object is not junk metal closer to the surface and also a way to keep checking your hole to see if you are getting closer to your target. even some of the most high-end equipment these days can be wildly inaccurate at giving target depth estimates. so this would help as an assistant device in attempting to narrow the window of target depth possibility.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread